bulk add to ignore list?

caverspencer

Is there a way to easily add caches to your ignore list in bulk rather tahn one at a time?

I would like to be able to add caches by specific hiders and all micro caches in the state.

Is there an easy way to do this?

Or another possibility is for a filter in geoccahing live. Currently geocaching live only allows you to filter out finds. But all chaces on yoru ignore list are not shown. When caching int he field it would be nice to not have to filted through all the junk caches to find ones I would like to look for.

Short answer: NO

Groundspeak has mentioned repeatedly in the past that they will not promote features based on negativity. Your best bet is to use a program like GSAK and Pocket Queries to filter like this.

I dont see how this is promoting negativity?

Groundspeak often promotes that if you dont like a style of cache then you dont have to find it.

Let them hide them all they want, but why do we have to be forced to filter through hundreds of junk caches to find ones we prefer?

Surely there is a way. Anyone anyone?

Groundspeak often promotes that if you dont like a style of cache then you dont have to find it.

No, many forum regulars advocate that - usually in response to "I hate micros / nanos / power trails / puzzles / urban hides / LPCs". I don't recall Groundspeak ever officially commenting on this. I could be wrong though - if so, a link would be appreciated.

No, many forum regulars advocate that - usually in response to "I hate micros / nanos / power trails / puzzles / urban hides / LPCs". I don't recall Groundspeak ever officially commenting on this. I could be wrong though - if so, a link would be appreciated.

To each there own, but I do think that there would be less of those comments if we were not forced to see those caches in our searches and pocket queries. Having to visit each of those cache pages one by one to add them to our ignore lists also doesn't help. I would just like to hide them from my searches and pocket queries and be able to forget about them. Then we can all be happy and mind our own business.

I don't care if people hide them, I just don't want to wade through them to plan my caching activities.

I would love some better management options for the ignore list. Being able to add all a users caches at once, the ability to toggle the ignore list on or off, or add selected caches from a search results page directly to the ignore list. This wouldn't be a negative thing but a positive way to maximize the fun I have with the time I can spend caching.

From your profile:

I just started filtering out micros again. GSAK does it

automatically for me. Caching is fun again! I really don't

understand what is the attraction with power trails, and micros in

pinetrees. Driving down a road to find cache after cache after

cache all hidden the same with the same container, seriously, what

is the point?

Not that there is anything wrong with that. I pretty much agree with you, actually. But... BUT... this is how YOU define "junk caches". This is the negativity that they are trying to avoid.

There is this very nice lady in our area that hides a type of cache that I don't enjoy. I have nothing against her as a person but we have different tastes in caches. Nobody but me knows what is on my ignore list. How would it harm anybody else if I could put all her hides on my ignore list at one time?It's not like I'm announcing to the world that I don't like so and so's caches.

But... BUT... this is how YOU define "junk caches". This is the negativity that they are trying to avoid.

I can see his point though. If he don't get to see those kind of caches, if he has the ability to filter them out automatically, he wouldn't be complaining about it and no one else would be exposed to his negativity.

It all comes down to what you mean by negativity. Obviously what the lost pengiun meant and what caverspencer meant is quite different.

Edited by Chrysalides

Groundspeak has mentioned repeatedly in the past that they will not promote features based on negativity.

Groundspeak provides me with tools that let me filter out caches I don't like, (AKA: Negativity), based on container size, cache type and D/T ratings.

Not sure how adding a feature that would allow me to ignore hides by vertain users would be any more negative, so long as that information stayed between me & Groundspeak.

There a few cachers whose caches I abhor. Fortunately, only a few. There are, however, a few cachers with whom I do not see eye to eye. I will not hunt any of their caches. Yes. It is a tedious proposition. Each GSAK update, I manually add their new caches to my ignore list. It would be nice to have the bulk ignore option. Also true for certain types of caches that I will not search for.

As to size and type, those are easy to eliminate with GPX.

Groundspeak has mentioned repeatedly in the past that they will not promote features based on negativity.

Groundspeak provides me with tools that let me filter out caches I don't like, (AKA: Negativity), based on container size, cache type and D/T ratings.

Not sure how adding a feature that would allow me to ignore hides by vertain users would be any more negative, so long as that information stayed between me & Groundspeak.

Those tools let you target caches vs targeting cachers. When we start filtering based on who hid the cache versus the properties of the cache it opens a pandora's box. How long before CO's request the hide my cache from the following users feature?

How long before CO's request the hide my cache from the following users feature?

And asking for this is bad because? Assuming your giant leap does come to pass, and someone actually asks such a horrid question, Groundspeak will either say "Yes" or "No". (Probably "No") If Groundspeak did not want us to be able to ignore certain hides, they would not have an "Ignore" button. If BillyBobNosePicker hides a film can in a Burger King shrub, and I use the tools provided by Groundspeak to ignore it, how is my ignoring all that person's hide with just a few clicks any different, other than scale? I'm still (supposedly) applying negativity as a means of improving my chances for finding caches I enjoy.

My original question was not about blocking a specific user. It was if there was an easy way to add multiple caches to the ignore list.

It would be nice to add some more features to the search options, then be able to select all, or select the caches you want added to ignore list and be able to easily do it.

A button that said "add these caches to my ignore list" would be sweet, especially if there was more search options.

The issue at hand is that having to open each cache page, then click on ignore listing, then confirm it, then repeat one at a time over and over is very time consuming and it forces you to see the things that frustrate you over and over and over again, this just adds to negative thoughts.

First, it's easy enough to not include micros in your PQ.

Second, I have a filter I created in GSAK for caches placed by certain hiders.

After updating GSAK, I run the filter.

If any undesirable caches show up, I use the split-screen view to show the online page where I can click IGNORE immediately.

After that, I can delete the offending caches from GSAK, and never have to see them again.

It can take a while to catch up if your target cache owners are prolific, but once you catch up the maintenance is pretty simple.

If any undesirable caches show up, I use the split-screen view to show the online page where I can click IGNORE immediately.

After that, I can delete the offending caches from GSAK, and never have to see them again.

It can take a while to catch up if your target cache owners are prolific, but once you catch up the maintenance is pretty simple.

Yes I do the same in GSAK. However there is no way to incorporate my GSAK filters with my ignore list on geocaching.com I use my phone and either geoccahinglive or geoccahe navigator with live data from Groundspeak to cache often. Unfortunately this takes GSAK out of the picture unless i want to spends hours pocket queries, loading them into GSAK and sending GPX files to my phone.

I am one of these crazy people that would like to be able to just pull my phone out of my pocket on a whim and be able to pull up the caches in an area and go caching. These phone aps with live data are nice but the downside is they show everything, including the caches I would otherwise filter out with GSAK.

I am one of these crazy people that would like to be able to just pull my phone out of my pocket on a whim and be able to pull up the caches in an area and go caching. These phone aps with live data are nice but the downside is they show everything, including the caches I would otherwise filter out with GSAK.

I think we have nailed the problem down.

It was kind of interesting reading the feedback forum. A number of people who voted for the suggestion thought that the CO would be able to block people from seeing their cache (a foil against FTF hounds) and that isn't the quesiton.

However it does have 193 votes so is more popular than I thought it would be.

No...it is now up to 201 votes (I also gave it +3). it is also "prioritized", so maybe something may come out of it.

Yes I do the same in GSAK. However there is no way to incorporate my GSAK filters with my ignore list on geocaching.com I use my phone and either geoccahinglive or geoccahe navigator with live data from Groundspeak to cache often. Unfortunately this takes GSAK out of the picture unless i want to spends hours pocket queries, loading them into GSAK and sending GPX files to my phone.

The GSAK filters are used to ignore caches you don't want to search for

I'm not certain what platform the two apps you mention are for, but I use the Groundspeak app for Android, and CacheMate.

If those apps can't filter based on your ignore list, then they aren't helping you avoid unworthy caches.

Yes. I need to upload files to my phone for CacheMate. I can select which waypoints are included, and which are not.

In the Geocaching app, caches I have ignored are not shown.

For any other caches, the size of the cache is shown, so I can choose to hunt for it based on size. If I don't want to see it I can view the cache online and ignore it then and there.

It seems you are expecting third-party apps to do things they are not designed to do.