Naming your Equipment

Bad_Wolfe

My first vehicle was a 2 wheel drive toyota pickup named "Casper"... even though it was brown. Then I got a '97 Jeep Wrangler that was "Unsinkable Molly". After we were married my husband and I had a '95 mustang named "Strawberry" after a really WRONG Snoop song. Now we have a Chevrolet SS pickup known as "The Big Red Beast" and an '11 mustang GT known as the "Snazzy Hot Rod" (both named by our children). I covet a 4-door Rubicon (maroon, and I will call her Ruby) but alas, we spent too much on that GT for my husband. <_<

My first GPS, a Garmin eTrex Legend HCx was just known as "Garmin"... but my new Oregon is "Sweet Thing."

as i just got a new cache-mobile, i'm still trying to find a good name for her. silver ford focus.( she seems like a girlie car ) my gps is named henry. long story short, i bought a nuvi back in 2007 and with the girl voice named her gail. i can't stand that name and she was getting annoying with her "recalculating". then when i got into geocaching and named me and my son dorothy&scarecrow ( big wizard of oz fan )i realized what i had named my nuvi. for those non oz fans dorothy's last name is gale. so i needed a name in oz theme for my etrex. scarecrow said we should call him henry, after uncle henry. it's funny cause the whole family will ask if they can borrow gail or henry and if others overhear, i'm sure they think we're all nuts!

I have a Navigon for the vehicle that everyone started calling Betsy. I have no idea why, the kids thought the voice sounded like a Betsy.

I have no name for my Magellan ExploristGC, I guess if I did, it would be Maggie.

I just traded in the Big Blue Bread Box minivan. Don't have a name for the Explorer.

I also have a couple of iRobot floor cleaners; Wheezy is Roomba, Squeezy is a Scooba.

That is my GPS holder.

I call it...Jeep.

It is not a car.

Wow, I'm sorry I have to tell you this, but I'm afraid you got ripped off. For the same money that you've spent on your holder, I actually got a nice car!

:ph34r::laughing:

No.

You have a car and I have a GPS holder. I can drive my GPS holder on the road and the trails. Where can you drive your "nice" car?

Can you go here?

d44dbe93-5b0b-43da-85de-86895a6b7a7c.jpg

or here?

4081cb3f-b73d-47e0-91d0-736b18d69f28.jpg

How about these?

3b7c3c4a-8096-463c-a854-113376b285e0.jpg

IMG_0425.jpg

All on the way to get or place geocaches.

Yeah. You have a nice car and I have a GPS holder.

BTW-redirected from G-P from the military General Purpose vehicle. Hence G-PS holder = Jeep

:ph34r::laughing::P

Edited by zoltig

No.

You have a car and I have a GPS holder. I can drive my GPS holder on the road and the trails. Where can you drive your "nice" car?

Can you go here?

I can go to the first one and to the others after I put on a lift this summer.

b05f7bf6-86a4-4090-b34e-cdc913d306f1.jpg

I wonder if dfx would be willing to follow me to a few caches in his "nice" car.... :P;):lol:

No.

Can you go here?

I can go to the first one and to the others after I put on a lift this summer.

b05f7bf6-86a4-4090-b34e-cdc913d306f1.jpg

I wonder if dfx would be willing to follow me to a few caches in his "nice" car.... :P;):lol:

SWEET!

Let me know when you want to hit the trails!

The first pic is 4x4 12-Wise Mt. Cabin at 12,000ft ASL.

You will have some greeters when you get there.

875d258a-1fe0-434d-98d5-8b34ef9c80a2.jpg

Our first GPSr was a TomTom set with the female English voice. We always referred to it as "Her" as in: did you put "Her" in the car? or "She" as in: "She" said to take the next right.. wait.."She's" recalculating.

Then got a Garmin Etrex HC which we called the Geoplunker or just the Plunker, kind of a take from Spelunker, which of course has nothing to do with geocaching but sounded cool at the time. Our new Oregon has adopted the same name.

Edited by Brooklyn51

My mom vehicle is a Chevy Traverse, which I adore. A couple months after we bought it we hosted a birthday party for my older daughter. One of the party favors was stick on mustaches (which is hilarious on little girls). Hubs wore one through most of the party, a big black bandito type. When we left he stuck it on the dashboard. Travis was born. It's my first 'male' vehicle.

Just before Christmas we acquired a Jeep Wrangler, second hand of course. We found it on Craig's List, good pictures, very poor spelling and grammar in the write up. It was listed with "a wench, soft top, KC lights". We joked about finding a trashy girl passed out in the back but were pleased to instead find a high quality winch on the front. Needless to say the YJ is The Wench.

A thread titled "Naming Your Equipment" could go off-track in an interesting manner.

'My Equipment' has had a special name since I was 9 or 10.

Not sharing.

Classy... :laughing:

This is spectacular. I'm glad I'm not the only one with an inner 12-year-old mind. Anyone else notice that someone called their GPS "unit?" Heh heh heh.

That is my GPS holder.

I call it...Jeep.

It is not a car.

Wow, I'm sorry I have to tell you this, but I'm afraid you got ripped off. For the same money that you've spent on your holder, I actually got a nice car!

No.

Can you go here?

d44dbe93-5b0b-43da-85de-86895a6b7a7c.jpg

or here?

4081cb3f-b73d-47e0-91d0-736b18d69f28.jpg

How about these?

3b7c3c4a-8096-463c-a854-113376b285e0.jpg

IMG_0425.jpg

All on the way to get or place geocaches.

Yeah. You have a nice car and I have a GPS holder.

BTW-redirected from G-P from the military General Purpose vehicle. Hence G-PS holder = Jeep

:ph34r::laughing::P

Man, I wish I'd had my Jeep when I was stationed in CO.

Man, I wish I'd had my Jeep when I was stationed in CO.

Head on out when you get a chance! We have plenty of Jeep Trail series for geocaching.

I just might take you up on that this summer, if gas is still under $20/gal. :laughing: It's about a 20 hour drive from here. I had planned to stay there when I got out, but I let some woman talk me into coming back to KY, have regretted it ever since. I was young and stupid. My plan is to move back there once my son gets older. Fell in love with the area.

That is my GPS holder.

I call it...Jeep.

It is not a car.

No.

Can you go here?

the "nice" car can be driven on the road, any car can for that matter

why would i want to go with a car where i can hike?

car doesn't need exercise to stay fit, the human body does

anyways, a JEEP is still a car, every passenger vehicle is a car, no matter what you want to call it :laughing:

Edited by t4e

That is my GPS holder.

I call it...Jeep.

It is not a car.

No.

Can you go here?

Hike?

Gotcha covered.

Hewlett's Gulch

Bishop's Staff

The Lost Pond

Dust 2 Dust

Painted Rocks

n0wae's lure

#25 - Trails End

Here are a few hike examples out of my caching history to name a few.

Besides, my GPS holder is named Jeep. YOU are going totally off topic talking about cars vs Jeeps.

I have also made a commitment to myself and others to include more hiking caches this year and in the future.

I will probably be driving my GPS holder to the trailheads just like you will drive your "nice" car to the trailheads. But if by chance I am inclined to include a few 4x4 geocaches as well, I will put my GPS holder in 4 low. :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Besides, my GPS holder is named Jeep. YOU are going totally off topic talking about cars vs Jeeps.

I have also made a commitment to myself and others to include more hiking caches this year and in the future.

I will probably be driving my GPS holder to the trailheads just like you will drive your "nice" car to the trailheads. But if by chance I am inclined to include a few 4x4 geocaches as well, I will put my GPS holder in 4 low. :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

whatever tickles your fancy, have fun!

btw: the car i drive, is not only nice, its awesome :anibad:

whatever tickles your fancy, have fun!

btw: the car i drive, is not only nice, its awesome :anibad:

Consider my fancy tickled. :laughing:

Enjoy your Yugo. :anibad:

My Garmin 80MIL is "Ol' Trusty"

The Nuvi 205 my mother in law gave us for Christmas is "Thingy" and needs a male voice because he's definitely a boy.

A Magellan GC is en route to my house and I'm sure it will get a name after I've used it for a bit. Usually it's something I just end up saying to the equipment and it sticks. Like naming the cat, "Paige Marie!"

Naming equipment makes it easier to talk to: "Shut up, Thingy!" is something I often say. I'm gentler with Trusty because he's old and has been dropped on his head many, many times.

We have two cars. "Red" and "Blue" but Blue sometimes gets called "The Mom-Mobile" and Red is sometimes called "The C*** Car"

Edited by Coyote's Girl

I have 4 GPS units - 5 if you count the one built into the new car (which I tend not to use in favor of my nüvi 760).

The only one with a "name" is the nüvi 760 which is usually referred to as Jack since that's the voice I use for directions.

anyways, a JEEP is still a car, every passenger vehicle is a car, no matter what you want to call it :laughing:

+1

My car is a Dodge Grand Caravan Sport, named Sport. My wife's Subaru Forester is Stanley. Either will get me to just about any trailhead I could care to go to.

My first GPS I named was a Legend HCx. I'd bought the street maps for it, so if I was driving anywhere, he'd frequently try and take me down the wrong road. His name was "Charlie" as in "Sorry Charlie!" from the old StarKist Tuna commercials.

sorry-charlie-rangel-tuna-commercial2.jpg

Charlie was replaced by an Oregon (named Charles II), but when I looked at getting the street maps again for it, I realized it was cheaper to just buy a basic Nuvi. He became "King Charles III" but was quickly dubbed "Chuck" by my wife, mostly because that's what she wanted to do with it.

Edited by Too Tall John

We name everything!!! My car gps is Carmen the Garmin. My car (suv, yet still a car) has now been weekday replaced by a Gas sipper Chevy Aveo. Since in comparison the Aveo is so tiny, I call it my clown car. We look about like it when we're all peeling out of it at one time. My hubby calls it Squeek Toy. So now, my suv is called Big Mama. I haven't named my eTrex yet though. It probably thinks it already has a name anyway because every time I look at it, I mutter "phone a friend" haha

My Droid is called Glitch. At the same time, it's a reference to one of my favorite shows as a kid and a terribly fitting title. Nicer than what some of you seem to be calling your gear.

So far we're kinda liking the idea of calling it the "Cacheacabra". See, Kesara somehow seemed to be unaware of the fact that she was saying "I Do" to a big ol' nerd. Anytime I see a vehicle with a pair of tow hooks, I get the urge to call it a "Chupathingy"

I've called my car Sat Nav 'cortana' for years :D Now that name has been passed to my eTrex, and I've renamed my car Garmin Nuvi 'Navi' after that irritating thing from The Legend of Zelda

My main GPS we call "Old Mabel" because well...its old, and Mabel sounds like an old (Magellan Map 330M) persons name. My backup GPS is called "Smitty" because well....who else has a GPS named Smitty?

Oh..oh that hurts, I was teased all through school because of Mabel (just my middle name) yeah, it was my grandma's name, passed down to my Mom, passed down to me...so what do I do...yep, pass it down to my daughter! :D

As for naming our truck, her name is 'Baby', she's a little older and sometimes we wonder if we're gonna make it, we rub her dash and she's always pulled through for us, and our gps is, Geeps. "No no, Geeps will get us there." "So where we goin' today Geeps?" I know, a little weird, but it makes the kids laugh when we take their friends caching with us so I play it up for them because if they're happy and having fun we can keep caching.

Here's my cache hunter hauler and GPS holder. I call it a Jeep, not light truck or car and no fancy people names. Just plain ol' Jeep or the Man Jeep. ;)

FallColorsFlexy1.jpg

ld2.jpg

UpperJake.jpg

Keep the fancy People names for New Beetles, Sions, and those tree hugger hybreds. LOL

Edited by TheRo0sTer