Naming your Equipment

Bad_Wolfe

We're looking to invest in a shiny new cache-mobile, and we know we're putting a travel bug window cling for it. That got us to thinking; "What are we gonna name the TB? For that matter, what are we gonna name the car?" What we're looking at is this:

img_2083.jpg

Just got us wondering on the names folks give to their cache-mobiles. Anyone care to share?

For that matter, does anyone name their other equipment? A goofy nickname for your GPSr, perhaps?

That's too funny! My other half (CJ) bought the same model/color a few months ago !

I kept calling it "The Smurfmobile" and she didn't find that amusing. :)

We had a geocoin contest at our local caching club to name it.

Wild Blue Yonder won. She calls it Wild Blue.

We had a runner-up and gave out another coin, as the name was unique...

Jeep Blue Cee

Our Oregon 400t's name is "Gypsy," derived from GPS. And because I am convinced that she's not actually stupid, it's just that most of her computing power may be consumed by running the higher functions of the GPS satellite system.

GypsyMST3K.JPG

(If she could run more than a simple Wherigo without locking up, maybe I'd call her Crow or Tom Servo.)

(edit: image fix)

Edited by hzoi

Our new truck came equipped with the GPS navigator equipment.

Her voice and guiding ability made us think of someone named "Gert."

So now, Gert takes us close to the cache...we pull out our GPSr to find the cache.

When one of our party finds the cache we say "Gert!" so others know it is found.

By saying Gert, we honor our wonderful truck AND everyone has a chance to find the cache.

It's kind of like shouting BINGO!

Saying "Gert!" is part of the fun!

Happy Geocaching! - hawkeyetob

Our navigation GPSr is named Mona. It always seems to be moaning at us that we're going the wrong way, so "Mona" just works. This new one looks to have GPS capabilities built in, so the current temptation is something akin to either K.I.T.T. or H.A.L., depending on how useful it actually ends up being.....

Somehow, though, I don't think "Smurfmobile" will fly with the Missus.....

How to explain this without sounding strange. Hmmm.... The is no way to explain this without sounding stange. Oh,well.

If you play the "Yellow Banana" game whilst driving... If you see a vehicle (non-commercial) the color of a DHL truck, you yell "Yellow Banana". Paler shades of yellow are "Yellow Canary". Yellow commercial vehicles are "Bully Truck", but they don't count. Bright red vehicles are "Red Riding Hood". Only works for bright red. The jeep shown qualifies for "Blueberry Pancake". (And those are the only colors that count!) So name it "Blueberry Pancake!

As to naming other things, my cachemobile is Miss Oomphy. My caching partner drives Ms. 4. The GPS is Gupy. The nuvi is Miss Bossy.

Hope that clarified things. :ph34r:

My main GPS we call "Old Mabel" because well...its old, and Mabel sounds like an old (Magellan Map 330M) persons name. My backup GPS is called "Smitty" because well....who else has a GPS named Smitty?

I do. Smitty. Yeah really.

No not really. Just someone had to say it.

I call it my GCM= geocaching machine

How to explain this without sounding strange. Hmmm.... The is no way to explain this without sounding stange. Oh,well.

If you play the "Yellow Banana" game whilst driving... If you see a vehicle (non-commercial) the color of a DHL truck, you yell "Yellow Banana". Paler shades of yellow are "Yellow Canary". Yellow commercial vehicles are "Bully Truck", but they don't count. Bright red vehicles are "Red Riding Hood". Only works for bright red. The jeep shown qualifies for "Blueberry Pancake". (And those are the only colors that count!) So name it "Blueberry Pancake!

As to naming other things, my cachemobile is Miss Oomphy. My caching partner drives Ms. 4. The GPS is Gupy. The nuvi is Miss Bossy.

Right. It does indeed sound strange. Maybe it is a NJ thang. I am already far away so that is good, but I am near your brother. Does he have these same "strange" naming habits? :unsure:

HD are you sure that NY smoking ban you were upset about was for tobacco??

:blink:

The Nuvi has a personality, so when she's behaving and all is good, we call her Garmy. If she starts wacking out, she gets a stern GARMIN! The Dakota doesn't talk, just does it's job day in and day out. Usually call it Garmin2 or Little Garmin. Funny how the kid who quietly toes the line usually gets less attention.

Back to Garmy, is there anyone who has never talked back?

My Droid is called Glitch. At the same time, it's a reference to one of my favorite shows as a kid and a terribly fitting title. Nicer than what some of you seem to be calling your gear.

So far we're kinda liking the idea of calling it the "Cacheacabra". See, Kesara somehow seemed to be unaware of the fact that she was saying "I Do" to a big ol' nerd. Anytime I see a vehicle with a pair of tow hooks, I get the urge to call it a "Chupathingy"

Edited by kesara.and.brody

Okay, we've decided. We're calling it "The Blue Bayou".

Of course, I hope she realizes that when we get lost and forget to set it as a waypoint, I'm spending the entire hike back singing

o/`I'm going back someday, come what may, to Blue Bayou o/`

Hope for her sake her duct tape is still in her caching bag... :anitongue:

My last car was named Coby because it was a cobalt blue (technically named Laser Blue by the company) Chevy Cobalt. It was totalled when a 17-year-old pulled out in front of me on a highway (with a county cop to witness).

Now I have a Sport Red Chevy Cobalt, since they stopped making it in Laser Blue. I asked for names on Twitter and someone suggested Barry after "berry" and Barack Obama, and I ended up naming her Cherry Berry, or Cherry for short.

Edited by RainbowKat

My five year old goes by the name WahalaKid. Ever since he could talk, he named our van "Nelly Bell". But when we go caching, he calls it "The Wahala Machine". And now that I've added a Tom-Tom to the dashboard when I go caching, he likes to tell his paw-paw "Nelly Bell is like the Red Power Ranger. She changes her name to Wahala Machine and she can talk! Really Paw paw. Thats true Paw Paw!"

We have a white roadtrek van type RV we call "Vana White". Also a 2000 Land Cruiser we call the "Land Crusher". The Scion t5 we just called the "Little Car". Had a Big Ruckus 250 Honda Scooter but gave that to our Grandson. With the higher gas prices, we will probably be using the "Little Car" as it get twice the gas milage of either the van or LC.

All of my GPSr's have names..

The most recent, a Magellan Explorist-GC, got the name Booger, because of its grey-green color.

A Lowrance PhD, The Doctor (reference Doctor Who)

A Lowrance Hunt, Hunter.

two DeLorme PN-20's (Romulus, & Remus.)

Garmin Classic, Old Yeller

Garmin Nuvi 1300, Mother (Can't type the 2nd part of the name.. Suffice to say, Nags where the caches are.))

Garmin Quest, Johnny

Garmin Nuvi 205, Newbie (Missing In Action, Stolen last year)

Garmin eTrex Legend, Blue

(Suffice to say I have too many GPSrs) :ph34r:

Edited by gelfling6