scuba geocaches ?

venushiker

Yep, there are scuba caches, and they should be marked with the appropriate attribute ( scuba-yes.gif ), which makes it possible to search for them through a pocket query.

If there are any in your area and how many is hard to predict, you're just gonna have to craete the PQ yourself (or tell us where you are).

GPS doesn't work under water as only small amounts of water absorb the radio frequencies used for GPS. That doesn't mean you can't use GPS for finding or hiding them though, you just have to use it above water, when you're directly above the cache. Of course it's very hard to tell when you're directly above the cache, or where exactly is directly below you, which is why scuba cache coordinates have to be always taken with a grain of salt, and most (all?) of them will include other instructions on how to find the cache down there.

You might want to look for bookmark lists of real scuba caches, because the scuba attribute has been misused as an identifier for numbers run trails like the ET Highway trail and the Route 66 trail.

Or look for a combination of the scuba attribute and the difficulty & terrain levels to avoid those powertrail caches.

I would love to do a scuba one someday.. Although how does one sign the log underwater?

The two options I've seen so far: Either it's a waterproof, air-filled container that you have to take to the surface to open and sign the log, and then make a second dive to replace it, or it's a water-filled container that can be opened under water and the log is a dive slate or something similar. Not sure how either of them hold up in the long term, or if there's any other options.

I would love to do a scuba one someday.. Although how does one sign the log underwater?

The two options I've seen so far: Either it's a waterproof, air-filled container that you have to take to the surface to open and sign the log, and then make a second dive to replace it, or it's a water-filled container that can be opened under water and the log is a dive slate or something similar. Not sure how either of them hold up in the long term, or if there's any other options.

I have another idea. Sign your name on a sheet of paper. Laminate it. Then leave it in the cache in a baggie. I can see why this wouldn't be a good idea if lots of people did it, though. :grin:

what does scuba have to do with numbers runs?

Its an attribute that has almost zero chance of showing up in those areas. Since there is no power-trail attribute, despite many people requesting it.

If you want to find true scuba caches, you're probably safe to filter on this attribute and a diff or terr level of >2 or >3. Power trails generally have d/t ratings of <2.

Looking at the OP's usual caching area, power trails don't seem to be the problem there, it seems to be "liar caches" messing with the search result. There's quite a few caches coming up with the attribute, but from the few that I checked, none were actual scuba caches.

You might want to look for bookmark lists of real scuba caches, because the scuba attribute has been misused as an identifier for numbers run trails like the ET Highway trail and the Route 66 trail.

Why don't the cache approvers disallow this? And what does scuba have to do with numbers runs?

It is not a guideline violation to misuse an attribute. Reviewers might suggest that the attributes be used correctly, but because the guidlines don't address them reviewers will publish caches with wrong attributes. It is however a highly inconsiderate practice.

This topic got me curious, so I did a pocket query. There are 17 "scuba caches" in the state of North Carolina, and only two of them appear to actually be under water. A surprising number of people seem to find it amusing to put a blinky on a stop sign and add a bunch of random attributes like Scuba, "watch for livestock," swimming, etc.

I just got certified for scuba and I was wondering if there are any caches out the in the deep blue yonder? If so, is there an underwater gps or how does one search for a geocache underwater?

A buddy and I are Scuba Instructors and have been discussing hosting a scuba experience in our pool for fellow cachers and then hiding several scuba caches at our local dive site for those that attend to take a crack at finding. Does this sound like something that might be of interest? I have wondered if it might be better to make them multicaches. I'm located in the Dallas area we have a nice local dive site that is large enough for several caches.

Cheers

16 hours ago, MetsFan86 said:

wow, sounds great. But calling it "GPS based" seems a bit fishi to me. GPS has absolutely nothing tot do with the under water navigation.

I´d like to know how percise it is under water since many factors could affect the sensors, such as currents, changing air presure, magnetic fields (esepcialy in caves or ship wrecks).

How ever, seems like a sofisticated pice of technilogy. Retails at $$$$$? :D