How to use 2 different sets of p queries?

3funboys

We have a Garmin Oregon 450 and premium membership. We have downloaded caches as a pq with no problem. But now we want to download caches with a different (but overlapping) specification (cache n dash in wider radius of home) whilst being able to easily identify which of the caches shown on the gps are from the 2nd cache n dash pq and which are from the first (all caches in 25 mile radius).

We had assumed that you would be able to select one "overlay"/pq or the other on the garmin but can wqork out how to do it?

Any ideas please or is this not the way pqs work?

We definitely dont want to keep deleting cache n dash and replacding it with standard pq over and over again as we dont know ahead of time which we will want on which day.

Thanks

While I'm no expert with the Oregon 450, most GPS units I've seen lump all downloads together. That's more of a function of how the unit works than anything to do with a PQ.

My first thought on dealing with this would be to use GSAK, set up separate databases for each PQ, and download each group to GPS using special tags to differentiate one from the other.

An alternative but similar approach would be to put all PQ's in one large GSAK database, then use the filter function to separate out the ones you want prior to downloading to gps with special tags.

Either way has a bit of a learning curve, and I'm sure there is probably a simpler and more elegant answer out there.

As an afterthought, there may be potential for downloading one batch as normal, and the other set as waypoints, but on an intuitive level and for reasons I can't explain, I feel there may be a problem with that approach.

Can I ask why you would like to see them separately??

My impression is that the OP wants to maintain two lists of caches on the GPS, such as one for "normal" caching activity where time isn't a problem and another for limited time caching (i.e. lunch break, etc), and to be able to tell the difference between the two at a glance.

Can I ask why you would like to see them separately??

My impression is that the OP wants to maintain two lists of caches on the GPS, such as one for "normal" caching activity where time isn't a problem and another for limited time caching (i.e. lunch break, etc), and to be able to tell the difference between the two at a glance.

Ok - just wondering because the only way to ntell the difference in a PQ (without further filtering) is by the d/t ratings. If you have the latest firmware for the Oregon - you can filter for d/t right on the unit. Thus eliminating the need for separate files.

Adding my recommendation that you download and use GSAK to parse your pocket queries. I have a -much- older Magellan and send waypoints to the SD card. Each set of waypoints has its own name, so I only use whichever set I need at the time.

Example: My run currently has me in Detroit 3 times a week. I have a query for Detroit caches and a file on the card for Detroit caches. When I get there, I erase all the other waypoints from the GPSr and then load the Detroit waypoints. When I get back to Louisville and feel like caching, I erase the Dertoit waypoints from the GPSr and load 'Lousiville'. I live an hour from Louisville, so when I get home I erase 'Louisville' and load 'Closest', etc., etc. and so forth.

The waypoints stay on the card so I can reload at will.

so, could we use this software to assign a different coloured icon foir example to cache and dashes instead of the standard green? this would totally solve the problem.

I read a thread once about all these icons you could use but it all went way over my head!!!

so, could we use this software to assign a different coloured icon foir example to cache and dashes instead of the standard green? this would totally solve the problem.

I read a thread once about all these icons you could use but it all went way over my head!!!

If you're asking about the newly created GSAK macro here that I mentioned above, my understanding is that it will rename the caches displayed on your GPS as follows: all caches will have the "GC" striped from their name so GC1234 becomes 1234. Say you insert a "*" for your local caches, and a "P" for the park and grabs...or whatever. Follow the instructions on the macro, and the caches will be displayed as *1234 or P1234. This won't change the icon type from a closed treasure chest so the GPS will still recognize it as a cache and keep the caching friendly abilities of your GPS. That's my understanding, still haven't had a chance to test drive it. If you like it, thank the authors!

edit: fat fingers

Edited by JBnW

Hi again

Just wanted to update and thank everyone who helped me out here. Also might help anyone else searching for same thing later.

Was very easy, only took about 10 mins even though I didnt know what I was doing!!

Downloaded GSAK.

Opened my cache and dash p query in GSAK

Did a "global replace" of cache type to earth cache

Exported to GPS

Did another normal p query but excluded all cache and dashes and stuck it on the GPS

Now we have exacty what we want, so thank you.