Groundspeak Lifetime Membership

TerraViators

We're really happy to be premium members. But I wouldn't get a life membership, and it isn't about the cost/value. In my opinion it's about the (small) power that annual or periodic renewals give you as a customer or client or supporter of any group.

For example, I have been a supporter of one particular land conservation group for decades. Right now, some of the group's lifetime members are unhappy with the group's focus in one area. But, since they are already lifetime members, they can only complain with words - they have already committed to the life membership, the charity has their money. I continue to support the group with annual contributions, but I am glad we didn't become a life members and still have the ability to stop supporting them if we don't like their focus in the future. They are aware that everyone who is NOT a life member has this same ability. I think the same applies to Groundspeak, it's healthy for them to know that they need to keep motivating premium members to renew.

Lets face it. The monopoly won't last forever, its clear that GS is fearing that now (yeah, I know, separate discussion).

So, that raises questions...

How pissed will you be when a yearly membership drops from $30 to $12/year. Would you want your "lifetime membership" to be prorated?

How will you feel when GS is no longer the largest site out there? Would you expect a refund?

What will your reaction be if GS drops geocaching, in favor of Waymarking, Wherigo, or what ever other concepts they think people want? Remember, your "membership" includes all of GS's sites, not just geocaching.

There isn't anything out there now that threatens the dominance of GS. Nothing is even any where on the horizon. And I don't see anything that shows GS is fearing the end is near.

Lets face it. The monopoly won't last forever, its clear that GS is fearing that now (yeah, I know, separate discussion).

How pissed will you be when a yearly membership drops from $30 to $12/year. Would you want your "lifetime membership" to be prorated?

How will you feel when GS is no longer the largest site out there? Would you expect a refund?

What will your reaction be if GS drops geocaching, in favor of Waymarking, Wherigo, or what ever other concepts they think people want? Remember, your "membership" includes all of GS's sites, not just geocaching.

There isn't anything out there now that threatens the dominance of GS. Nothing is even any where on the horizon. And I don't see anything that shows GS is fearing the end is near.

Yeah, I sort of had a "huh, what?" reaction to that post as well. How is it "clear that GS is fearing that now?"

Yeah, I sort of had a "huh, what?" reaction to that post as well. How is it "clear that GS is fearing that now?"

Well, obviously the person who mentioned that is talking about potato caching. I can clearly see how Groundspeak is not dominant in that field, and is falling further behind every day.

Edited by Chrysalides

You haven't noticed the long list of improvements or promises in the past couple months? Such as the promise of an API that for years they have stated that they will never open up except to "trusted partners"? That comes from fear of loosing customers. GS isn't all of a sudden getting more friendly on their own, outside factors are driving that.

If you aren't seeing this, then you have to be as blind as GS has been for 10 years.

You haven't noticed the long list of improvements or promises in the past couple months? Such as the promise of an API that for years they have stated that they will never open up except to "trusted partners"? That comes from fear of loosing customers. GS isn't all of a sudden getting more friendly on their own, outside factors are driving that.

If you aren't seeing this, then you have to be as blind as GS has been for 10 years.

So the API is the sole justification of GS is fearing for its existence? So the closest listing service is at least 1.2 million listings away from GS and GS just wet their pants with fear? If anything it is smartphone apps that scrape the site that they want to eliminate and the best way to do that at this time is release an API so the access is better controlled and less of a server impact. Other things they are doing I feel are somewhat driven by the feedback site. There are more participating over there and voting over there than the ones wildly speculating over here.

Edit: And it may well be that certain contractual limitations expired and were not renewed, or there is a different way of implementing an API that does not impinge on existing contractual agreements.

Edited by jholly

Don't platinum members have a lifetime subscription.?

It'd be a miracle if this ridiculous notion of a platinum membership ever died. Thanks for railroading another topic.

If anybody is railroading the topic, it's you with your ridiculous, off-topic political commentary.

Sounds like someone's jealous that he didn't get in on the platinum membership.

Nope, I don't judge the world one way or the other, especially with jealousy or self righteous attitudes.

Not sure about your political commentary statement.. Sounds like one heck of a leap to me.

It'd be a miracle if this ridiculous notion of a platinum membership ever died. Thanks for railroading another topic.

If anybody is railroading the topic, it's you with your ridiculous, off-topic political commentary.

What the heck is platinum membership?? I've never heard of it.

I was wondering the same thing.

A recurring joke that railroaded the topic.

Nice dodge!! Do you think they bought it? :ph34r:

If GS offered a lifetime membership, would you take advantage of it? Maybe even 10 year memberships. I definitely would subscribe to it. I'm 40, so let's say I plan to cache for 25-30 more years.

Do you really think that there will still be geocaching in 25-30 years at the rate that technology is changing and the activity is evolving? I will be amazed if it is still going strong in another 10 years.

A recurring joke that stopped being funny several years ago. More apt description.. A ridiculous ploy to confuse, mess with, or patronize, noobs asking legimate (and sometimes stupid) questions.

That joke never stops being funny. Plus I got two noobs to paypal me a fee for how to get one.

The lifetime subscription to QST magazine I have, a mag for the Amateur Radio crowd, is a little over $1500 vs. $39 a year to subscribe.

Is that a typo, or did you really mean $1500? 'Cause it would take 38.5 years for that deal to be more cost effective to the subscriber than to the magazine.

The lifetime subscription to QST magazine I have, a mag for the Amateur Radio crowd, is a little over $1500 vs. $39 a year to subscribe.

Is that a typo, or did you really mean $1500? 'Cause it would take 38.5 years for that deal to be more cost effective to the subscriber than to the magazine.

That's an especially bad deal because it's a ham radio magazine. Based on observations at the last Hamfest I attended, I'd have to guess that the median age of their readers is getting awfully close to 100.

So the API is the sole justification of GS is fearing for its existence? So the closest listing service is at least 1.2 million listings away from GS and GS just wet their pants with fear? If anything it is smartphone apps that scrape the site that they want to eliminate and the best way to do that at this time is release an API so the access is better controlled and less of a server impact. Other things they are doing I feel are somewhat driven by the feedback site. There are more participating over there and voting over there than the ones wildly speculating over here.

Edit: And it may well be that certain contractual limitations expired and were not renewed, or there is a different way of implementing an API that does not impinge on existing contractual agreements.

API, favorites, maps, virtuals, and I'm sure I could mention many more.

As far as an API being under contractual limitations? Its GS's product, not a 3rd party, so not even likely. GS isn't going to develop something then cut their own throat in the ways they can use it.

You seem to think that GS is too big to fail, its that exact attitude that causes failures. GS has figured it out, or you wouldn't have seen so many developments or promises in the very recent past. NONE of these issues were even a consideration, until someone else came along and showed how easy it was, or showed that the customers do indeed want them, now for the first time, GS is under pressure to develop these enhancements, and they know if they don't, customers go bye-bye.

API, favorites, maps, virtuals, and I'm sure I could mention many more.

As far as an API being under contractual limitations? Its GS's product, not a 3rd party, so not even likely. GS isn't going to develop something then cut their own throat in the ways they can use it.

You seem to think that GS is too big to fail, its that exact attitude that causes failures. GS has figured it out, or you wouldn't have seen so many developments or promises in the very recent past. NONE of these issues were even a consideration, until someone else came along and showed how easy it was, or showed that the customers do indeed want them, now for the first time, GS is under pressure to develop these enhancements, and they know if they don't, customers go bye-bye.

No, not to big to fail. But who is going to cause a problem? Not sure about how big Geocaching Australia is, but if you take and add together the N site, the T site and the G sites and throw away the duplicated listings your still 1.3 million listings short of a problem. If you have not noticed, this number just seems to get larger every week. I don't see any real pressure there. Maybe a number of these improvements came about in the last few months because there has been a considerable increase in the number of lackeys at headquarters. Maybe this happened because the business got better and the increased head count could be afforded. Maybe they came about because the feedback site giving voice to users that don't normally come to the forums. As for the private API, Trimble was big user of this API. Since GS is a privately held company we are not privy to the details, or even outlines, of the business relations. Could there be a contractual relationship because Trimble contributed to the development of this API? It is possible this API is used in the GS smartphone apps. Which does bring up an interesting question. If they are using the same API why do we need a closed beta before releasing it later this year for general use? Could it be that it is a different API than the previous one?

But maybe your right. GS did all this stuff because they are worried that a site with 5 or 6 thousand listings that seems to be flatting out, with nothing but an API for a feature is going to eat their lunch. It is possible even though the listings on GS continue to grow daily.

A recurring joke that stopped being funny several years ago. More apt description.. A ridiculous ploy to confuse, mess with, or patronize, noobs asking legimate (and sometimes stupid) questions.

Stopped being funny to you several years ago, which tells me that it was funny to you at one time, when you were a noob. Like this "noob" is. Sure, it is an "in" joke... I don't know any group that doesn't have them. But if you don't like them, isn't it better to just ignore them?

OK... let's drop it and get back on topic.

If GS offered a lifetime membership, would you take advantage of it? Maybe even 10 year memberships. I definitely would subscribe to it. I'm 40, so let's say I plan to cache for 25-30 more years. That would be $750 - $900 to renew annually at the current rate. I'd definitely purchase a lifetime membership for $500-600 dollars. That gives GS more cash flow, more interest-earning income potential, and less paperwork.

no. not in this age of uncertainty

That joke never stops being funny. Plus I got two noobs to paypal me a fee for how to get one.

Did you send them their jelly?

Stopped being funny to you several years ago, which tells me that it was funny to you at one time, when you were a noob. Like this "noob" is. Sure, it is an "in" joke... I don't know any group that doesn't have them. But if you don't like them, isn't it better to just ignore them?

No, it was cute the first time I'd seen it. Never funny. I never think that intentionally screwing with the naive or misinformed is not funny. And I am surprised with the ideals you claim to hold that you'd think it was funny.

Edited by bflentje

No, it was cute the first time I'd seen it. Never funny. I never think that intentionally screwing with the naive or misinformed is not funny. And I am surprised with the ideals you claim to hold that you'd think it was funny.

I am amazed by the number of people that claim to walk the moral high ground actually have the nerve to insinuate that I am out of line.

I am amazed by the number of people that claim to walk the moral high ground actually have the nerve to insinuate that I am out of line.

No one has to have moral high ground to see that.

Supporting forum bullies.. unbeliavable.

Supporting forum bullies.. unbeliavable.

Whoa there, fella. Did you just call me a bully? When you are the one that came in here trying to get other people to behave the way that you want them to behave?

Seriously?

If you believe that, I've got a bridge to sell you.

At my age (26), a lifetime subscripion would be a heck of a bargain, if I had the money.

Edited by Dgwphotos

If you believe that, I've got a bridge to sell you.

At my age (26), a lifetime subscripion would be a heck of a bargain, if I had the money.

Everybody knows that a Jelly-of-the-month club membership is a platinum level perk. If he really wanted to sell the con, he should have sent them some jelly.

I've been doing this for more than seven years now, which is longer than almost any other hobby I have so I don't think it will be my interest that wanes. However, the price would have to be quite cheap for me to consider "investing" in any web company for the long term.

I'm quite happy paying on an annual basis as it gives me more flexibility:

- IF my interests or health changes I can quit paying.

- If Groundspeak starts doing things I don't agree with I can stop paying.

- If the hobby becomes overrun with power trails I can stop paying.

- If the local caching community changes and isn't as friendly as they are now...

etc, etc

This explains exactly how I feel. Imagine paying $1K for a lifetime membership to AOL, a month before they went under the bus?

I can't honestly believe that GS feels threatened from a bunch of people that think they have been persecuted by GS and their forum members.

I don't think that I have ever agreed with anything you have ever written on this forum, except for this.

I don't think that I have ever agreed with anything you have ever written on this forum, except for this.

I bet I could come up with dozens of my posts that if you were being honest with yourself, you'd agree with me on. :ph34r::ph34r: But thanks for the support, er, jab, er, so confused. :blink:

<_<

I can't honestly believe that GS feels threatened from a bunch of people that think they have been persecuted by GS and their forum members.

Apparently you've never heard of Garmin.

How does reducing your overall long term payment mean more money for Groundspeak? It just means more money for them NOW, but less in the long run

Actually, I belive lifetime premium would raise the interest for geocaching as a hobby. Premium members will be more active and so introduce geocaching to lots more people. Even if a Lifetime Membership would be "just 150-250 usd", I still belive it could generate income in the long run as well due to more cachers!

Maybe also opening for donations/more fangear etc.

I have concerns about the long-term viability of this game, and I wouldn't outlay that kind of money right now.

If Groundspeak got its act together and started to demonstrate a genuine commitment to quality and progress, I might consider it.

Indeed, they could start by sorting out the web sites awful and badly thought out navigation.

I have concerns about the long-term viability of this game, and I wouldn't outlay that kind of money right now.

If Groundspeak got its act together and started to demonstrate a genuine commitment to quality and progress, I might consider it.

Indeed, they could start by sorting out the web sites awful and badly thought out navigation.

You guys can't find something less than a year and a half old to discuss.

One a side not: Actually, the navigation on the site is quite intuitive.

What the heck is platinum membership?? I've never heard of it.

I was wondering the same thing.

Some people are not happy paying just $30/month, they want to be more elitist than premium members are so there is a $30,000/year super elitist platinum membership available but unless you can pony up that kind f money you will not get access to that part of the site. That's all I can tell you, the perks, although huge, can nt be discussed with the common folk.

I would actually be against Groundspeak OFFERING a lifetime membership. Pocket queries are set up and never visited again, and the individuals may or may not actually use the data that's sent. At least if the maximum time is a year-to-year basis, the longest these could go for someone that has dropped out of caching would be a year. As Geocaching.com has now been going on for close to 10.5 years, we've had many, many people drop out of caching. We've also had the inevitable sadness of someone passing

I don't think my wife knows my password on the account, nor does she know how to navigate the site - so my account would just sit there for a year. If I had a life-time membership, there's no means of notification to cancel my account - the pocket queries would stay indefinitely - using processing resources?

I don't think my wife knows my password on the account, nor does she know how to navigate the site - so my account would just sit there for a year. If I had a life-time membership, there's no means of notification to cancel my account - the pocket queries would stay indefinitely - using processing resources?

I am totally guilty of wasting processing time on pocket queries. Just fixed that today, in fact.

I had things set up to run 5 pocket queries/week, but the fact is, I have only been downloading them about once/month. Perhaps in the future, they can set something up to detect whether or not pocket query results are being downloaded or not and 'pause' a pocket query if the results are not being downloaded regularly?

Edited by The_Incredibles_

A little over 10 years ago, we did not even have consumer grade GPS that would enable this game. I love this game, and I like technology. But in 10 years, who knows? Something else will come along, and I might like that better. GPS usage will become the rotary telephones of yesterday. And there is no guarantee that Groundspeak would be at the front of the new technology, or even around as a company or web site. I think I'd have to stick to year by year.

Besides, $30/year to me is pretty affordable to me, not really affecting my budgeting. But dropping X00$ all at once does have a definite effect on my budget. I like to support the site at the $30/year level.

I would actually be against Groundspeak OFFERING a lifetime membership. Pocket queries are set up and never visited again, and the individuals may or may not actually use the data that's sent. At least if the maximum time is a year-to-year basis, the longest these could go for someone that has dropped out of caching would be a year. As Geocaching.com has now been going on for close to 10.5 years, we've had many, many people drop out of caching. We've also had the inevitable sadness of someone passing

So, is it true that, in addition to being a moderator, you're also the Chief Enforcer of the Charter Member hit squad? :ph34r:

That is the typical non platinum member respeonse :laughing:

Personally, I have an issue that there is even such a thing as Platinum Members.

As we see here, it can only lead to jealousy and 'issues' with others.

An easy fix for this, suggested often before, is to make pocket queries expire after a year. For active users to simply go in and either check a box or re-save the query.

A little over 10 years ago, we did not even have consumer grade GPS that would enable this game. I love this game, and I like technology. But in 10 years, who knows? Something else will come along, and I might like that better. GPS usage will become the rotary telephones of yesterday. And there is no guarantee that Groundspeak would be at the front of the new technology, or even around as a company or web site. I think I'd have to stick to year by year.

Besides, $30/year to me is pretty affordable to me, not really affecting my budgeting. But dropping X00$ all at once does have a definite effect on my budget. I like to support the site at the $30/year level.

Probably the reason that the suggestion is for this to be an option, not mandatory.