Abuse of [no encryption] brackets

Prime Suspect

I had a problem the other day with someone who posted a find on one of my caches. They included in their log a big spoiler to the cache, that was also in my encrypted hint. When this happens, I generally just click the link to encrypt the log, and email the poster, telling them what I've done and why. They can edit their log, or delete and post a new one, if they wish. But in this case, I was unable to encrypt the log. They had enclosed their entire log in [brackets], which effectively prevented me from encrypting any of it. It wasn't an accident either. They do this on ALL their logs.

I had to delete the log and email them with the reason why, and ask them to re-posit a new log. But deleting a log should be, in my opinion, the last resort. There needs to be some way for cache owners to override the [bracket] function, and encrypt the entire log.

I propose -

If the cache owner has to encrypt a log, then, if the poster had already encrypted the log, the portion in brackets only should be encrypted, and the brackets removed.

If it hasn't been encrypted by the poster, then the brackets should be removed and the entire log should be encrypted.

PS_sig.gif

I wonder how hard it would be to set it up for the cache owner to simply be able to override the brackets to encrypt the whole log?

It sounds like this particular poster knows that they are giving inappropriate spoilers and is trying to prevent cache owners from encrypting. If you ask me that only leaves you with the 'last resort' option of deleting and advising by email.

If you're debating about a delete, you could rot-13 the text in question and post it as a *note*, giving the original poster credit and a chance to cut-n-paste. Anyone scanning the logs would still have access to the information. (if they decrypt)

Without knowing the whole story, this doesn't bode well for the cache seeker.

[Va zl uhzoyr bcvavba]

I knew I'd been in Berkeley too long when I saw "Free Firewood" and I wondered who this Firewood fellow was and what he had done.

quote:
Originally posted by MissJenn:

What is rot-13?

It is the encryption scheme used here on GC.com to encrypt hints and logs.

If you write down the alphabet and then write it down again beneath the first one and with the letters shifted (rotated) 13 spaces, you get an encyption key. A la,

abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz

mnopqrstuvwxyzabcdefghijkl

Just look for the letter you want to encrypt on the top line and substitute the letter from the bottom line.

xmfqd,

... Two roads diverged in a wood, and I--

I took the one less traveled by, ...

unclerojelio

quote:
Originally posted by unclerojelio:

I just noticed that the font used when composing a post is monospace and the font used to display post is not. The above key will look better if you view with a monospace font. icon_wink.gif

unclerojelio

quote:
Originally posted by unclerojelio:

I just noticed that the font used when composing a post is monospace and the font used to display post is not. The above key will look better if you view with a monospace font. icon_wink.gif

unclerojelio