Garmin 62s - the infamous squeaky case

janandsteve

I return to the topic of the infamous squeaky case of the 62s - the 'Top-of-the-line' model from Garmin.

If yours is squeaky - dont be fobbed off... read on.....

I bought my 62s approx 6 months ago from one of the large Garmin resellers here in the UK. I noticed the squeaky case and informed the reseller within a few days. I got them to check their other stock ( 10 I think they had in at the time ) and they told me all the others had the same problem - so I know some of you out there will have the same problem. As this was the case, there was no point me swapping the unit for another with a similar problem. I was advised to contact Garmin, which I did. I got the fob off - 'it doesnt effect the functionality of the unit, hence not covered under warranty'. I was a bit stuck. I left it a few months and then rang Garmim again..... got the same fob off - almost to the word, as though they were reading from a sheet to tell everyone the same - I began to detect something was wrong. I intended to leave it a while until there were units been shipped that didnt have the problem. I had read that some of the models in the US were squeaky free - maybe it was just a batch problem here in Europe.

I was prompted last week by a forum member on here ( thanks again - you know who you are ), that their unit was squeaky free. I rang my original supplier, and they told me that they were aware of the problem, but I should contact Garmin to see what their response was - any probs to get back to them. This didnt seem right... Contacted Garmin again and got the same reply to the word - 'it doesnt effect the functionality of the unit, hence not covered under warranty'. If you bought a new car and it had a squeaky door, you would expect the garage to get it in and at least sort it out - not tell you it is still driveable! I recontacted the reseller and after the guy spoke to 'his manager' he was back on the line telling me to send the unit in for a straight swap! I couldnt believe it - 6 months after purchase. I made the swap in person to check the unit and yes, I'm pleased to say that it is squeak free!!

Just another example of the poor commitment and Customer Service from Garmin. In my opinion they should do a recall and sort people out, not fob them off and hope they go away.

The moral of this post...... dont be fobbed off if you bought one of the earlier models - the squeaky case issue seems to be resolved - get yours exchanged today! Garmin's 'Top-of-the-line' model should be squeak free - my yellow etrex from 2002 was a very sturdy piece of plastic - I, and you, should expect the same from the 62s.

( The squeaky case issue is well documented on the internet - incl some you tube videos. Here's one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FwtW2QuQxlk

I think this unit is trying to tell us something.... have another listen...... ah yes, I got it now.... 'Dont be fobbed off by Garmin; send me back for a replacement'

Hope this helps someone out there......

Edited by janandsteve

Wait a minute.....I've gotta put the rubber band back on my Garmin Legend, and take the batteries out of the Garmin 60CS to get it to work again....

I am much too busy finding caches to worry about a squeak. I only press that button once in the early morning, and once after I get home....usually way after dark. It is possible that it squeaks....but so does the car. :rolleyes:

Edited by ventura_kids

Wait a minute.....I've gotta put the rubber band back on my Garmin Legend, and take the batteries out of the Garmin 60CS to get it to work again....

I am much too busy finding caches to worry about a squeak. I only press that button once in the early morning, and once after I get home....usually way after dark. It is possible that it squeaks....but so does the car. :rolleyes:

Thanks for the reply... made me smile.....

On a more serious note, it is not just the on/off button that squeaks - it is the whole case - as though the rubber seal is maybe a little too loose all the way around? Would this effect the waterproof capabilities?

Sorry to have disturbed your caching day with a 'trivial' post..... :-)

Good luck on a little squeak

http://www.autosafety.org/history-gm-side-saddle-gas-tank-defect

to sum it up here is the final two paragraphs from the article. It is a good read though so take a minute and read through it.

Data updated through 1999 from NHTSA's Fatality Analysis Reporting System

(FARS), show that over 1,800 people have been killed in fire crashes in

the U.S. in 1973-87 GM C/K pickups and cab-chassis trucks with the defective

outside-the-frame-rail sidesaddle fuel tank design. Just since DOT's deadly

deal with GM to drop its recall efforts in December 1994, over 330 people

have died in C/K pickup fire crashes. The side saddle pickup design continues

to claim more lives in 2001 than any other single defect.

To describe one example, on May 21, 1997, in Carson City, NV, an elderly

married couple in a 1978 C/K pickup were both instantaneously immolated

when they ran a stop sign at a city intersection and were struck just behind

the passenger door by a crossing pickup truck. The fireball resulting from

the exploding fuel tank engulfed the other truck as well, and while the

18-year-old driver of the second truck was still conscious when pulled from

the burning cab by a witness to the crash, he was burned so severely that

his young life ended in a Las Vegas hospital burn unit within the week.

Witnesses at the scene recounted that he lay on the ground and was able

to ask "Why?" three or four times. The answer to this question, of course,

could be found not so much in a Nevada intersection as in Washington, DC

and in GM's Michigan headquarters.

I've heard the key pads on these cases show wear after a couple hundred caches.......as you guys find a lot of caches I was wondering how the keys were holding up ?

My .02

I was an early adopter of the 62s and had mine on preorder three weeks before release. The first unit I got squeeked, sent in to Garmin three more times for exchange only to get squeakers every time. I learned to live with it and although it really bothered me at times, I must admit it faded into the background.

Then, a few weeks ago, my unit developed another issue that warranted replacement. When I received my replacement unit from Garmin, vwalla, the squeek was completely gone. My earlier models had seriel numbers in the low thousands and my current unit is up into the 80,000's.

Could I have lived with the squeek? sure. Am I glad I have a unit that doesn't squeek? definately.

The fact that Garmin fixed the squeek tells me they viewed the issue as unnacceptable from a quality perspective. Unfortunately for those who hate the squeek, that doesn't necessarily mean it warrants replacement (in their eyes).

Knowing people who outsource some of their manufacturing "overseas" I can tell you that the quality of the product, if not looked after diligently, can suffer greatly. There's a recent example of Boeing losing millions due to poor manufacturing quality of airplane parts at one of their outsourced product suppliers. Given the fact that nearly all of our electronic gadgets are manufactured overseas, there will be periodic and likely more frequent quality issues due to the uncertain economic environment. Once Garmin realized the squeek I'm sure they engaged in several discussions at the molding factory where the cases were made in an effort to remedy the quality issue.

Just a note: I'm not bashing outsourcing, from a buisness perspective sometimes it makes $en$e and sometimes it doesn't. We all have to live with the quality (and sometimes toxicity) of their products. I'd love to buy a GPS unit made in the United States and would pay an extra bit of cash to do so. Unfortunately not everyone will and the bottom line for most consumers is price which these companies fully understand. "We get what we pay for".

The fact that Garmin fixed the squeek tells me they viewed the issue as unnacceptable from a quality perspective. Unfortunately for those who hate the squeek, that doesn't necessarily mean it warrants replacement (in their eyes).

Firstly, thanks for replying with a sensible post and one that warrants a reply.

The fact that the squeak has gone does indeed suggest it was a manufactuing issue. Why cannot Garmin acknowledge this and offer a replacement to those that are not happy? - just makes complete Customer satisfacion sense to me. Even better, why not do a recall if they have fixed the issue - if it wasnt a problem, then we would still be seeing the squeaky cases flooding the market - but just by the fact that the issue has been sorted, suggests some 'cover-up' from Garmins point of view, IMO.

Knowing people who outsource some of their manufacturing "overseas" I can tell you that the quality of the product, if not looked after diligently, can suffer greatly...... Once Garmin realized the squeek I'm sure they engaged in several discussions at the molding factory where the cases were made in an effort to remedy the quality issue.

I'm glad someone else agrees that this was a manufacturing quality issue. Yes, I agree on the logistics and financial aspects of outsourcing - my box says 'Made in Taiwan' - but what about close management of prototyping before market release? I think it is poor management practise to go chasing the horse once it has bolted. I'm sure that Garmin have had many discussion with the manuf plant on the issue, but what about been open and honest? Before my experience of this issue ( and other forum topics I have posted in today re Garmin Cust Service issues ), I was all for Garmin - I have had their yellow Etrex since release in 2002 and it was a very solid and reliable unit. Now my perception of Garmin has changed. Why cannot they be just honest about it? Why the standard reply when you call?

I'd love to buy a GPS unit made in the United States and would pay an extra bit of cash to do so. Unfortunately not everyone will and the bottom line for most consumers is price which these companies fully understand. "We get what we pay for".

I too would pay extra for a quality item - but Garmin claim that the 62s is their 'top-of-the-line' and with regards to "We get what we pay for", then I'm sure you would agree that a squeaky case should not come as standard - the unit is not cheap afterall.

Just to clarify to some readers, its not just a complaint about the squeaky case been an issue - what if this is a manuf prob that has issues with the waterproof rubber seal that goes between the case back and front ( I have read somewhere that someone took theirs apart and applied some sort of silicone lube - and this cured their squeak ). If it is an issue with the rubber seal, then this suggest that it is not making good contact ( hence squeak ). To the doubters out there - lets hope that in 12 months time, when your unit is out of warranty, and it gets a dunk in some water, that the rubber seal holds up and your unit doesnt get damaged.....Although if you are carrying a few other gps units with you on your caching trip, then maybe this would not be an issue to some?...( I await a post from someone telling me that their unit squeaks and it has been in a bucket of water for 29mins and 53 secs without an issue - ( An IPX7 designation means the GPS case can withstand accidental immersion in one meter of water for up to 30 minutes )).

Have a nice day people.

I was trying to live with the minor squeek, and worse yet, the flap/thump in the rocker and the lower buttons, in the 62s that I had for a few days last fall. All I wanted was for the unit to work properly.

When I tried to long time average, I got a solid filled in rectangle, instead of the scatter plot that I get in a GPS60 or 60CSx.

When I moved from my position, very slow, about 1 ft a second, I could get out almost 50 feet before the unit woke up and realized that it had moved, and then only updated about 3 ft. In both UTM and hddd.ddddd. The other units update/refresh my slightest move.

With the Tracks set to 1 sec, I would walk very slow around a 10 ft circle around a waypoint in my backyard. The tracks on the map page looked like a collision between a square and a octagon. If I walked 2 or 3 mph, the tracks fit the circle ok.

The User Grid was a disaster, no way to do State Plane. Almost as bad as my Triton!

Has any of the above been improved/corrected in later revisions, or is this just how it is with the Cartesio chip?

I don't want to buy another one if they still "hang", "freeze", or are "sticky".

I hope that I just had a buggy unit.

The fact that the squeak has gone does indeed suggest it was a manufactuing issue. Why cannot Garmin acknowledge this and offer a replacement to those that are not happy? - just makes complete Customer satisfacion sense to me. Even better, why not do a recall if they have fixed the issue - if it wasnt a problem, then we would still be seeing the squeaky cases flooding the market - but just by the fact that the issue has been sorted, suggests some 'cover-up' from Garmins point of view, IMO.

Because the squeak is gone does not necessarily mean they "fixed it".

In the story you responded to here, this was a warranty issue that happened sometime into ownership. Also, on the unit they sent in, they said the squeak had worked it's way out.

Garmin, like most manufacturers, will use refurb'd models at their discretion so the model that got back may have had the "squeak worked out". Also, you may be right that it was corrected but not publicized as they realize the older ones "work it out".

As most on GC forums will acknowledge, Garmin has customer service far above what is considered average and often go "outside the box" for solutions when it appears warranted. Giving them a call may either resolve this or they may explain why and that it will eventually work itself out. In either case, worth a call.

1) The squeak in most cases does not "work it's way out". It is an unintended consequence of poor quality control.

2) They definately fixed it. Upon release, and afer getting an especially loud squeeker, I went to REI to see if the half dozen or so they had on hand would squeek. Every one was a squeaker. Once I received my non-squeaking unit, again curiosity got the best of me. So a few weeks ago I returned to REI and tested their on-hand stock (thanks REI employee for putting up with me) and NONE of them squeaked and they all had serial numbers in the 60,000-80,000 range.

Edited by yogazoo

I was trying to live with the minor squeek, and worse yet, the flap/thump in the rocker and the lower buttons, in the 62s that I had for a few days last fall. All I wanted was for the unit to work properly.

Thanks for your reply. Can you expand on what you mean re the 'flap/thump in the rocker and the lower buttons'. What problems did you experience?

When I tried to long time average, I got a solid filled in rectangle, instead of the scatter plot that I get in a GPS60 or 60CSx.

When I moved from my position, very slow, about 1 ft a second, I could get out almost 50 feet before the unit woke up and realized that it had moved, and then only updated about 3 ft. In both UTM and hddd.ddddd. The other units update/refresh my slightest move.

With the Tracks set to 1 sec, I would walk very slow around a 10 ft circle around a waypoint in my backyard. The tracks on the map page looked like a collision between a square and a octagon. If I walked 2 or 3 mph, the tracks fit the circle ok.

I personally have not tried any test at less than walking pace - while walking the tracks seem to tie in well with the OS map trails. Having said that, over here http://garmingpsmap.wikispaces.com/message/view/home/32052076 people are still reporting the 'sticky' issue you mention with the latest 2.92 beta software, so I guess it is still a problem. It is not something I have had trouble with personally. I also use the GPS for things other than geocaching and for my use in these situations the sticky issue is not that much of a problem. Having said this, I can appreciate that when at GZ near a cache, it can have some weird effects if the unit is sticky, pointing you in the wrong direction. For me, when near GZ, I just use my caching instincts to get the actual box. I agree that the sticky issue needs sorting.

The User Grid was a disaster, no way to do State Plane. Almost as bad as my Triton!

You have lost me here. Can you please clarify what you mean?

I don't want to buy another one if they still "hang", "freeze", or are "sticky".

I hope that I just had a buggy unit.

In the earlier releases of the software, I had the hang and freeze issues, but I am pleased to report that these have gone away in the later versions of software. Over here http://garmingpsmap.wikispaces.com/Versions at the bottom of the page it gives you a change history and you can see in what releases of the software things got fixed.

The sticky issue is still there, as described above.

I have had my unit for approx 6 months and the earlier versions of software were very 'buggy'. Improvements have been made, but Garmin needs to do more to get bugs sorted with the latest software.

Because the squeak is gone does not necessarily mean they "fixed it".

Why is it there in earlier models and not in later models? I think there has been some input from Garmin to the manuf plant.

In the story you responded to here, this was a warranty issue that happened sometime into ownership. Also, on the unit they sent in, they said the squeak had worked it's way out.

Have another read....

'... The first unit I got squeeked, sent in to Garmin three more times for exchange only to get squeakers every time. I learned to live with it and although it really bothered me at times, I must admit it faded into the background....'

Squeaky unit sent in 3 times = was a problem to him. Faded into the background = learnt to live with it. No mention of 'working its way out'.

'...my unit developed another issue that warranted replacement. When I received my replacement unit from Garmin, vwalla, the squeek was completely gone...'

Earlier models had squeak. Later models it has gone. I think this means they have 'fixed it'.

Garmin, like most manufacturers, will use refurb'd models at their discretion so the model that got back may have had the "squeak worked out". Also, you may be right that it was corrected but not publicized as they realize the older ones "work it out".

No one has mentioned anything on here about the squeak working itself out....

As most on GC forums will acknowledge, Garmin has customer service far above what is considered average and often go "outside the box" for solutions when it appears warranted. Giving them a call may either resolve this or they may explain why and that it will eventually work itself out. In either case, worth a call.

See my previous posts - In my experience Garmin have poor Cust Facing skills here in the UK. Dont answer emails and give you the fob off when you call.

Have another read at my OP and you will see I have called Garmin in the UK 3 times on the issue - and you will see my quotes on their standard reply.

Edited by janandsteve

1) The squeak in most cases does not "work it's way out". It is an unintended consequence of poor quality control.

AGREED

2) They definately fixed it. Upon release, and afer getting an especially loud squeeker, I went to REI to see if the half dozen or so they had on hand would squeek. Every one was a squeaker. Once I received my non-squeaking unit, again curiosity got the best of me. So a few weeks ago I returned to REI and tested their on-hand stock (thanks REI employee for putting up with me) and NONE of them squeaked and they all had serial numbers in the 60,000-80,000 range.

AGREED. It is not only me that is concerned about the squeakers....To the doubters - have a think what may happen in 12 months time when your GPS gets a dunk in water and the possibility of the seal not holding up..... It's not just putting up with a squeak, its the possible consequences in 12 months time ( after warranty ) when the seal has possibly worn away a bit due to the squeak...

Wow, this and now with Garmin NOT supporting owners of older road units with LIFETIME map update subscriptions... I think I'll be looking elsewhere next time...and I was a huge Garmin fan... <_<

Oh great, another thread to ignore.

Alrighty then. GOOD RIDDANCE. :laughing:

His loss :-)

Lets just hope that in 12 months time when his GPS gets a dunk in water and the possibility of the seal not holding up..... It's not just putting up with a squeak, its the possible consequences in 12 months time ( after warranty ) when the seal has possibly worn away a bit due to the squeak...

From post #9;

"I learned to live with it and although it really bothered me at times, I must admit it faded into the background." I also now have a low serial number 62s that I purchased used that has no squeak and was never sent in for warranty of any kind.

Sorry about your issues in the UK, however on this side of the pond, you will find repeatedly here in the forums about them going above and beyond. My personal experience of having two GPSr's replaced out of warranty, one WAY out of warranty, over the last 15 years means I will be sticking with these units.

Possibly call the state side number and explain what you are going through with the UK customer service and see if they can help. How far do you live from Garmin UK offices?

From post #9;

"I learned to live with it and although it really bothered me at times, I must admit it faded into the background."

From my post above, the user here was refering to: 'Faded into the background' = 'learnt to live with it' rather than the actual squeak fading away with time - it went into the background meaning it was still there....

I also now have a low serial number 62s that I purchased used that has no squeak and was never sent in for warranty of any kind.

If it was purchased used you do not know the history of any repairs - a seller would prob not tell you it was faulty in the past to get you to buy it from them. As you said in your own post earlier '....Garmin, like most manufacturers, will use refurb'd models....'

Sorry about your issues in the UK, however on this side of the pond, you will find repeatedly here in the forums about them going above and beyond. My personal experience of having two GPSr's replaced out of warranty, one WAY out of warranty, over the last 15 years means I will be sticking with these units.

I accept your view that the US may offer better service than here in the UK; I have yet to experience this for myself.

I take it your 15 year old GPS was pretty useless, with only having an accuracy of 100m? - Selective Availability was eventually turned off by order of the then US President, Bill Clinton on May 2 2000.

Possibly call the state side number and explain what you are going through with the UK customer service and see if they can help. How far do you live from Garmin UK offices?

I cannot afford to be calling a state side number; I have tried the US email address before using this link http://www.garmin.com/garmin/cms/site/us/support/supportcontact - only to be told to divert to the UK email for a faster response.

I dont have time to be driving over 220 miles to the Garmin UK offices.

The thump that I was getting on my unit, when using the rocker and lower buttons, sounded like an elephant walking on a fallen canvas circus tent. It was a lot louder than the squeak. The upper buttons were normal.

I use the User UTM Grid in my 60 series, to break down meters into feet. When connected to an antenna on the roof, or outside when the weather is good, I can check on how bouncy one chip is against another, or Garmin vs Magellan etc. How fast the numbers settle with that Sat configuration, and difference between the footage change between WAAS on and off. From the roof antenna, I can check on how far off the measurement is from the average distance to the SW corner of this property. When I saw that Garmin had changed the format on the User Grid page on the 62 series, I was hoping that I could select Trans Merc, put zero in Fals E and Fals N, 3.2808 in Scale, enter the L/L of the SW corner, and compare it to the 60CSx. Not so, as the Lat is tied to the Equator just like it is on the 60CSx. Found that out by entering -9999999 in Fls N like I do in the other older Garmins. To get a Garmin to display in inches or decimeters, one has to be too close to the Equator. What I really wanted to do, was to cheat on the Scale and see if I could get the 62s to display in centimeters, like the SporTrak and Meridian units do, and compare.

No such luck.

State Plane is a system used in the US by Surveyors, Engineers, some Governments, Real Estate folks, etc. I think of it as a flat map/table top measuring in grid feet N an E from a chosen L/L point, with usually some false N or E thrown in for more fun. Some States use Trans Merc and others use Lambert.

Father Time has me mostly confined close to home, in the outback of Utah, so I don't cache, but I was thinking of a newbie having to fight a compass, at the same time that the unit was doing the sticky,hanging,freezing thing, and not refreshing/updating their position as they moved slowly about..

The thump that I was getting on my unit, when using the rocker and lower buttons, sounded like an elephant walking on a fallen canvas circus tent. It was a lot louder than the squeak. The upper buttons were normal.

I'm please to say that I have not ( yet ? ) experienced this problem. Thanks for clarifying.

I use the User UTM Grid in my 60 series, to break down meters into feet. When connected to an antenna on the roof, or outside when the weather is good, I can check on how bouncy one chip is against another, or Garmin vs Magellan etc. How fast the numbers settle with that Sat configuration, and difference between the footage change between WAAS on and off. From the roof antenna, I can check on how far off the measurement is from the average distance to the SW corner of this property. When I saw that Garmin had changed the format on the User Grid page on the 62 series, I was hoping that I could select Trans Merc, put zero in Fals E and Fals N, 3.2808 in Scale, enter the L/L of the SW corner, and compare it to the 60CSx. Not so, as the Lat is tied to the Equator just like it is on the 60CSx. Found that out by entering -9999999 in Fls N like I do in the other older Garmins. To get a Garmin to display in inches or decimeters, one has to be too close to the Equator. What I really wanted to do, was to cheat on the Scale and see if I could get the 62s to display in centimeters, like the SporTrak and Meridian units do, and compare.

No such luck.

State Plane is a system used in the US by Surveyors, Engineers, some Governments, Real Estate folks, etc. I think of it as a flat map/table top measuring in grid feet N an E from a chosen L/L point, with usually some false N or E thrown in for more fun. Some States use Trans Merc and others use Lambert.

I dont use the User Grid myself, but thanks for the explanation.

Father Time has me mostly confined close to home, in the outback of Utah, so I don't cache, but I was thinking of a newbie having to fight a compass, at the same time that the unit was doing the sticky,hanging,freezing thing, and not refreshing/updating their position as they moved slowly about..

Yes, you have a valid point here. When close to a cache site it would be good for the compass to accurately point to the cache location, and as you rightly say, this is when a user will just be wondering around slowly - far slower than walking pace. To be honest, in reality, when close to the cache - say within 20ft, I tend to be on the look out for possible locations and only refer to the compass screen if I get stuck - and prob after taking a sneek peek at the clue. I tend to use my 62s far more for other activities than I do caching, so to me I have not really noticed the prob too much. The 3 axis compass working in 'real time' is one of the advantages over, say the yellow Etrex, I had earlier - that meant walking back and forth and then walking 20-30ft away and then walking back towards the cache site, to get a reading on the arrow. I agree that this 'sticky' issue does need sorting - another for the list of things Garmin needs to sort out. Thanks for getting back to me. All the best. Steve

His loss :-)

Lets just hope that in 12 months time when his GPS gets a dunk in water and the possibility of the seal not holding up..... It's not just putting up with a squeak, its the possible consequences in 12 months time ( after warranty ) when the seal has possibly worn away a bit due to the squeak...

If by this, you are referring to me, you may wish to read my entire post ;)

Please don't get me wrong, I fully agree with holding manufacturers to account for their quality issues and it is pleasing when the consumer wins the day. Unfortunately some people drag the discussion off topic to continue a discussion that has no place in this thread.

On reflection, ignoring this thread is not the right thing to do, I'll just ignore certain individuals instead.

Edited by Andy K!

If by this, you are referring to me, you may wish to read my entire post ;)

Please don't get me wrong, I fully agree with holding manufacturers to account for their quality issues and it is pleasing when the consumer wins the day. Unfortunately some people drag the discussion off topic to continue a discussion that has no place in this thread.

On reflection, ignoring this thread is not the right thing to do, I'll just ignore certain individuals instead.

Hi Andy

Thanks for your reply.

I did read your entire post and made note of your point 'perseverance pays off sometimes' - thanks for the comment.

Your initial reaction to ignore the thread was a little off putting, but I'm pleased to see you have continued to read.

I agree that some posts were trying to take the you-know-what - but these people just dont get a response.

I firmly agree that manuf should be accountable for their quality issues and by starting this thread I was hoping that someone - even if it is only one person - would stand up and get their unit changed - who knows what underlying probs will be caused by the squeak in 18mths time? At this point if water ingress does damage someones GPS then they will be outside warranty. I made this point on the phone to Garmin UK and they told me that the seal should not cause any probs - how can they say that with any confidence - the unit is not even 12mths old?

It is peoples small mindedness that they think we are making a fuss about a little squeak - to those I say 'think out of the box a little' - quite a few posts above do indicate that the squeak is a problem.

I was fortunate of someone telling me about shipments that are squeak free - it was my intention to tell everyone in the hope that someone else will stand up and get theirs sorted - trying to support fellow users - in the spirit of the forum. Garmin cannot treat its Customers like it is doing in my experience ( and just reading other threads, Garmin are currently not flavour ( flavor? ) of the month ).

I do hope that you take my comments in the spirit that they are intended and I'm pleased to see, on reflection, ignoring this thread was not the right thing to do.

Let's stand up for ourselves and not be pushed over by Multi-Nationals.

I do hope that I have not found myself in your ignore bin and that you get the opportunity to read my reply.

All the best. Steve

One thing I will add is that I believe that Garmin would do the right thing should there be a seal issue in the future. I had a Legend HCx with the rubber band issue. Whilst the tech support person I spoke to flatly denied all knowledge of the long term issue (slightly annoying), they did replace the unit free of charge 18 months out of warranty and had the unit on my doorstep within 3 days of my sending the old unit off and this was on the 21st December.

One thing I will add is that I believe that Garmin would do the right thing should there be a seal issue in the future. I had a Legend HCx with the rubber band issue. Whilst the tech support person I spoke to flatly denied all knowledge of the long term issue (slightly annoying), they did replace the unit free of charge 18 months out of warranty and had the unit on my doorstep within 3 days of my sending the old unit off and this was on the 21st December.

Whilst I accept your point, I firmly believe that prevention is better than a cure.....