Option to not display Found Geocaches and Souvenirs

Gorak

Groundspeak, in their wisdom, chose to allow members to choose whether or not their statistics are viewable by others on their profile. I think, in the interests of privacy, that members should also have the option as to whether or not others can view their find history and souvenirs. I don't cache for the numbers and I resent having my find count and history available to all who care to look. For several years I did not log finds online for that very reason and, although I once again log my finds, I am considering reverting back to stealth mode because of my inability to choose who gets access to what information in my profile.

Am I the only one who cares more about my privacy than smilies and souvenirs? GreyNoMouth.gif

GreySquint.gif

I really, really, really don't see how souveniers could possibly be an violation of anyone's privacy. I have, for example, the New York State souvenier in my profile. The only thing that tells you is that sometime in the past 10 years I visited the state of New York.

I don't see the issue with smilies, either. The only possible reason I could see for hiding them is that they might alert someone to the fact that I am on a road trip. If I was worried about that, I'd just save my logs as field notes and post them after I get home.

I suppose the fact that I found a cache in Georgia on Saturday could be of interest to a stalker, but as far as I know, I don't have a stalker. I really can't see how I'm harmed in any way by having that information in my profile.

Am I the only one who cares more about my privacy than smilies and souvenirs?

No, but I don't consider smileys and souveniers to be a violation of my privacy. Meh.

Now wait a minute. The concept of hiding your finds is not that crazy at all. The letterboxing site AtlasQuest.com has this feature. And no one thinks it's strange that they have it, and people use it.

I for one had two crazed cyberstalkers about 6 months before I started Geocaching. I shudder at the thought of what if this had happened a year after I started Geocaching, used the same user name I had used all over the internet since Al Gore invented it, and those two whack-jobs tracked my every movement. As it was, they could have easily obtained my City and State (and believe me, they wanted it) from IP addresses, but they were too stupid to do that. <_<

So c'mon, can't anyone see that some people might be concerned about this at some point in their lives? In addition to a stalker situation, think about bad break-ups, be they marraiges, or relationships.

If you don't want your finds to be displayed, don't log the caches online. Or, log them so that the CO gets an e-mail, then delete them. After all, a sufficiently motivated stalker could reconstruct quite a lot of your cache history with assiduous and systematic usage of Pocket Queries.

As for souvenirs: they don't really give much away, and I can't believe that anyone with a major concern about privacy would complain about that in a forum. If the zipper of my brand-new pair of pants got stuck in the "open" position, I would discreetly walk back to the clothing store, rather than standing on the street corner shouting about it.

I don't give a rancid rodent's rectum who sees or doesn't see my stats. A person would have to be pretty bored to even check. If they don't like my stats it's their problem not mine. I don't cache to impress anybody and I don't figure anybody would be impressed no matter what my stats are.

I've occasionally checked someone's profile to see if they list the general area where they live if they post about interesting caches or to see if they have any more good pictures in their gallery if they've posted a really good photo. Mostly I just don't worry about it. I don't equate the number of finds to the quality of the cacher. It seems to me it would be pretty idiotic (not to mention pathetically judgmental) to do so.

Of course I do find Snoogan's profile entry to be quite entertaining. :laughing:

What possible difference can it make? Why worry about it? Seems like a waste of angst to me.

I think everyone who has posted has some good points, but I think Gorak has a better one: we should be able to choose what is displayed to the public.

Bingo!

The issue is about choice. The choice to be able to choose what information about ourselves and our activities that we wish to display to the public. Different people will have different reasons for wanting or not wanting to display different types of information. Whether you agree with their reasons or not is not the point.

Yes, as suggested, one could just stop logging their cache finds online, which I did for two years. However, that also deprives the cache owners of receiving find logs on their caches which, from reading other threads, is a really big deal for many CO's.

I guess another way to look at it is, why are we given the option to block public access to our Stats and Bookmarks but not any of the other auto-generated data such as finds, souvenirs and trackables?

AlienBorgAssimilationAnim.gif

Resistance is futile....

I don't cache for the numbers either. In a past life I did like you and just decided I'd not log finds. In this life, I'm logging most of them so that the CO knows someone visited their cache. I'm not logging those caches that I feel are particularly obnoxious to _me_. In other words, I'm not giving credit where credit is not due, in my opinion only. As for others being able to see my logged caches or souvenirs,I don't see the harm in it, but I also support your desire for a choice in the matter.

I think having a choice about what to display would be nice. Having the ability to restrict my gallery to my friends list, for example, would be a nice option. Those who don't mind having their information more open would never have to bother with the privacy settings at all if they didn't want. Of all the social sites that I frequent, geocaching.com seems to have the fewest privacy options.

I don't mind the sarcastic responses from a few forum members, as long as there is a chance that folks from Groundspeak are seeing these threads.

I am not concerned with the information displayed in my profile, the most anyone could find is what city I'm in if I provided that information.

Stalkers? I dont think so, I am not that popular.

If someone made a concerted effort to find me, I still would not worry as I have some dear friends and close neigbors, the Wesson's live on one side, the Smith's on the other, the Marlin's live on the street behind me and there is a Colt in the barn with the other horses.

Edited by student camper

Groundspeak, in their wisdom, chose to allow members to choose whether or not their statistics are viewable by others on their profile. I think, in the interests of privacy, that members should also have the option as to whether or not others can view their find history and souvenirs. I don't cache for the numbers and I resent having my find count and history available to all who care to look. For several years I did not log finds online for that very reason and, although I once again log my finds, I am considering reverting back to stealth mode because of my inability to choose who gets access to what information in my profile.

Am I the only one who cares more about my privacy than smilies and souvenirs? GreyNoMouth.gif

GreySquint.gif

who says you have to log your finds, more so since you say you don't cache for the numbers ?

personally the privacy concerns are unfounded and i think its a bunch of bologni, but if it makes you feel safer, go delete all your found logs and never log another cache again

I for one had two crazed cyberstalkers about 6 months before I started Geocaching. I shudder at the thought of what if this had happened a year after I started Geocaching, used the same user name I had used all over the internet since Al Gore invented it, and those two whack-jobs tracked my every movement. As it was, they could have easily obtained my City and State (and believe me, they wanted it) from IP addresses, but they were too stupid to do that. <_<

That was way back in the Usenet days. Cmon, havent you forgave me yet? :huh:

Edited by 4wheelin_fool

GreySquint.gif

I agree. I think the info should only be available to people on the friends list by option.

I have been caching and using another name for awhile now, due to a OCD person. :ph34r:

Edited by 4wheelin_fool

we should be able to choose what is displayed to the public.

I'm OK with this...

But. If you don't show your stats, I think you should not be able to see my stats... ;)

I have no privacy concerns on this site. I have blocked access to my stats because I think keeping track of them is silly. I think Souvenirs was a total waste of the developers time and I would block them also if I could. I have no problem making my finds or find count public, but I now understand a little better how the opponents feel about that.

I do think your suggestion has merit. I should not be able to see anything site wide that I have personally decided to block. No matter what the reason.

we should be able to choose what is displayed to the public.

I'm OK with this...

But. If you don't show your stats, I think you should not be able to see my stats... ;)

I have no privacy concerns on this site. I have blocked access to my stats because I think keeping track of them is silly. I think Souvenirs was a total waste of the developers time and I would block them also if I could. I have no problem making my finds or find count public, but I now understand a little better how the opponents feel about that.

I do think your suggestion has merit. I should not be able to see anything site wide that I have personally decided to block. No matter what the reason.

I've said it before in other threads on this topic. I accept the limitation. If it lets me hide my count then sure, keep me from seeing that of others.

I think the reason you can choose not to display stats is because there are so many different sites that let you create them for you profile. I've blocked my stats because I use the FSG macro and don't see why I should have two sets of stats on my page.

Personally, I think if you are so worried about hide count/history and souviners being public, why do you have a presence on the internet at all?

I think the reason you can choose not to display stats is because there are so many different sites that let you create them for you profile. I've blocked my stats because I use the FSG macro and don't see why I should have two sets of stats on my page.

Personally, I think if you are so worried about hide count/history and souviners being public, why do you have a presence on the internet at all?

+1 I agree that there are a hundred different easier ways for "miners" to collect personal information. Not to mention that if you have reservations about divulging information to strangers over the internet, the easiest way , stealing a line from the movie CARS is " to not to'.

I personally don't care that my information is public here. I can see why people would want to hide their find history and their photo gallery, however.

The thing that annoys the most about my photo gallery being visible is all the travel bug photos I post. Nice for the TB owners, but really just clutter for my page.

I don't really get the arguments for hiding your find count. Yes, the "it's not about the numbers" argument is a valid one, but I don't see the significance of hiding your find count. If you don't care about the numbers, why do you care if others see your find count? If you say that it influences the way others play the game, fair enough, but they are more concerned with their own numbers, not yours. If they are competing with other cacher find counts then removing your stats will do nothing since they will just be shooting for the numbers they actually CAN see. The only effective solution would be to remove find counts from everybody's profile, but there are too many people who like the stats or are indifferent.

This subject was the center of some heated debates on the original feedback (get satisifaction) site. I know several people that no longer log caches because they don't feel like dealing with it any more. For one, it's an ex-spouse that always has snide remarks or some commentary about how much caching is done or who caching is being done with.

Let's say that people's log entries were still on the cache pages, but in your account settings, there was a check box where you could select whether everyone, or just friends, could expand your "caches found" list on your profile. If you selected that, then it shows the number of each type you've found, but, they aren't hotlinks that can be clicked to get to the list of caches. Why would this be so bad? Here's the arguments against and how I counter them:

1. It will be bad for caching. If EVERYONE does it, then I won't be able to go look at a fellow cachers travels and decide if I want to cache some of those areas. Response: Presumably only a few people who have privacy concerns will do this. If everyone does it, then it is obviously a feature that a lot of people wanted. Saying "a lot of people will use it" as a means of justifying not doing it? Huh? "I am opposed to the feature because people might like it?"

2. If their logs are still visible and only the list is gone, then a determined stalker can still google for all their log entries. Response: No one's asked for AES encrypted logs and IPS hardened attack surfaces to prevent teams of North Korean Rangers from accessing their logs. All people have said is "I wish it wasn't so easy for family, ex's, coworkers, etc. to access my caching chronology all in one place." Don't confuse "privacy lite" with anti-stalking or anti-identity-theft countermeasures.

3. It's the internet, if you don't want the info out there, just don't do it. Response: We, as a community, all benefit from logging. The logs are what bonds us all together, it's a journal of a place that we all have in common and we all add our moment-in-time entry to the shared journal. Every time a cacher finds a cache but doesn't log their visit out of privacy concerns, that is OUR loss. Nut just THEIRS--it is our loss too. We are the ones that miss out on having that chapter in our shared journal. So I am, and always will be, in favor of any features that encourage participation, encourage logging.

And finally, let me say this: This arguments for/against showing find counts always become intermingled with the arguments for/against showing a cacher's chonological find history. The idea of hding find counts to de-emphasize numbers is not really related at all to the idea of hiding the chronological find list for privacy reasons. They really need to be debated independently and sadly the OP fired both the bullets at once.

I detect some sarcasm coming.

Lets all hide our finds, our caches we have hidden...in fact, lets just pretend we don't exist at all. Come on folks. Why would anyone think hiding your finds is a good thing. If someone is stalking you, well I am sorry for that, but since when is knowing what you have found in the past going to predict your future? Statistics is one thing, but its going to get silly if we hide everything.

I think a good compromise would be show the found count but have the option to hide showing the list of caches you found or the souvenirs attached to them.

YES! Totally agree.

If you don't care about the numbers, why do you care if others see your find count?

(snip)

If you say that it influences the way others play the game...

Indeed. The numbers debate is part of a larger ethos that pervades geocaching.

The forums here, and the feedback site, are packed full of thousands and thousands of the same interchangeable post: "Others are enjoying caching differently than I am. Please implement feature X, Y, Z to prevent them from doing this." Why? Someone doing PhD work in organizational dynamics really needs to do their thesis on the geocaching community dynamic. Just once I'd like to hear the argument laid out, "it's important that others only enjoy caching the way I do because if they don't, then..." Then what?

If I go on a long mountain hike over challenging terrain to an ammo can deep in the woods--there is nothing--NOTHING that you can do, or not do, that is going to diminish my enjoyment of that. I am going to enjoy that hike the same, whether you like virtuals or not. I am going to enjoy that hike the same, whether you are obsessed with your numbers or not. I am going to enjoy that hike the same whether you decide to hide a nano in your hometown or not. You can use a supercomputer to do discrete fourier transforms on your caching stats while playing Tibetan folk classics on a tuba and wearing authentic Bavarian lederhosen, and you know what--it will not affect my enjoyment of my hike in ANY way.

It's also been mentioned that anyone with stalker concerns would be foolish to log their finds immediately from the field.

If someone doesn't want to make their logs visible on the cache page (to prevent people from googling their entries) why bother logging the finds at all? If it's for the cache owner, you could just send an email. Would it just be for your GC friends? Does anyone really have more than a few GC friends who would care at all about what you have found? Presumably you have real-life contact with these people if you are that concerned about internet privacy, so just talk to them IRL.

I am not concerned about internet privacy. I would prefer not to be included in the numbers chase that I feel has had a negative effect on caching as a whole. It is not my logs that I want to hide but the count. What I don't understand is why some feel that they need to see my find count? What is it that you think you learn about me by looking at that number?

If I go on a long mountain hike over challenging terrain to an ammo can deep in the woods--there is nothing--NOTHING that you can do, or not do, that is going to diminish my enjoyment of that.

what if you were loging with your iphone as you went along and i saw a pattern and met you deep in the woods and robbed you or worse?

So, let me get this straight...

You are stitting at home on the computer, for some odd reason, you know that today I am out caching, and you are sitting there, watching my finds (from deep in the woods, remember) as they come in. You see several of them, and determine the apparent path that I am taking. You quickly project the path to another cache, presumably also deep in the woods, and you want to rob me or worse, so you quickly hop in your robmeorworsemobile and drive to the woods that I a am caching in. Running at top speed, so that you can also be deep in the woods when you rob me or worse, you manage, huffing and puffing, eventually to intercept me (deep in the woods, so there won't be any witnesses to those evil things that you are going to do to me). I see you hiding in the bushes, so I pull out my concealed pistol and order you to reveal yourself. Feeling stupid yet?

If I go on a long mountain hike over challenging terrain to an ammo can deep in the woods--there is nothing--NOTHING that you can do, or not do, that is going to diminish my enjoyment of that.

what if you were loging with your iphone as you went along and i saw a pattern and met you deep in the woods and robbed you or worse?

So, let me get this straight...

You are stitting at home on the computer, for some odd reason, you know that today I am out caching, and you are sitting there, watching my finds (from deep in the woods, remember) as they come in. You see several of them, and determine the apparent path that I am taking. You quickly project the path to another cache, presumably also deep in the woods, and you want to rob me or worse, so you quickly hop in your robmeorworsemobile and drive to the woods that I a am caching in. Running at top speed, so that you can also be deep in the woods when you rob me or worse, you manage, huffing and puffing, eventually to intercept me (deep in the woods, so there won't be any witnesses to those evil things that you are going to do to me). I see you hiding in the bushes, so I pull out my concealed pistol and order you to reveal yourself. Feeling stupid yet?

No No - your forgetting about the silent black helicopters.

How many times have you seen the advice - "if you don't want others to know about it - don't post it online". - So long as owners can see your logs and "freinds" and family - there is potential for a betrayal. The openess, sharing and general trust is part of what attracts me to Geocaching. Allowing folks to "block" thier logs, find counts and etc just destroys that. Let facebook be facebook - share your private stuff there. Share your Geocaching stories here.

if it makes you feel safer, go delete all your found logs and never log another cache again
if you are so worried about hide count/history and souviners being public, why do you have a presence on the internet at all?

I do see this solution proposed a lot - to drop out of the game, or to never log a cache, or to not take any photos, or to only take photos of scenery and never people.

I'm just less convinced that the best alternative to "completely open to everyone" is "withdraw from the game entirely". I like posting logs to caches, and I like sharing photos; I would simply prefer to control some of how that information is disseminated, that's all.

I would also like to be able to hide my find count. I can't understand why anyone would be opposed to someone wishing to do so.

Because many feel that, since they don't have any concerns or don't see a personal need for the option, that nobody else should, either. Kind of the way Facebook users used to feel...

if it makes you feel safer, go delete all your found logs and never log another cache again
if you are so worried about hide count/history and souviners being public, why do you have a presence on the internet at all?

I do see this solution proposed a lot - to drop out of the game, or to never log a cache, or to not take any photos, or to only take photos of scenery and never people.

I'm just less convinced that the best alternative to "completely open to everyone" is "withdraw from the game entirely". I like posting logs to caches, and I like sharing photos; I would simply prefer to control some of how that information is disseminated, that's all.

that looks like a contradiction, please elaborate

btw: not logging your finds doesn't mean dropping out of the game, there are a lot of cachers that don't log online and they still enjoy the game

I would also like to be able to hide my find count. I can't understand why anyone would be opposed to someone wishing to do so.

Because many feel that, since they don't have any concerns or don't see a personal need for the option, that nobody else should, either. Kind of the way Facebook users used to feel...

i hope you're not suggesting that having your find count visible is a privacy violation as much as all the privacy violations of facebook?

Edited by t4e

This subject was the center of some heated debates on the original feedback (get satisifaction) site. I know several people that no longer log caches because they don't feel like dealing with it any more. For one, it's an ex-spouse that always has snide remarks or some commentary about how much caching is done or who caching is being done with.

Let's say that people's log entries were still on the cache pages, but in your account settings, there was a check box where you could select whether everyone, or just friends, could expand your "caches found" list on your profile. If you selected that, then it shows the number of each type you've found, but, they aren't hotlinks that can be clicked to get to the list of caches. Why would this be so bad? Here's the arguments against and how I counter them:

1. It will be bad for caching. If EVERYONE does it, then I won't be able to go look at a fellow cachers travels and decide if I want to cache some of those areas. Response: Presumably only a few people who have privacy concerns will do this. If everyone does it, then it is obviously a feature that a lot of people wanted. Saying "a lot of people will use it" as a means of justifying not doing it? Huh? "I am opposed to the feature because people might like it?"

2. If their logs are still visible and only the list is gone, then a determined stalker can still google for all their log entries. Response: No one's asked for AES encrypted logs and IPS hardened attack surfaces to prevent teams of North Korean Rangers from accessing their logs. All people have said is "I wish it wasn't so easy for family, ex's, coworkers, etc. to access my caching chronology all in one place." Don't confuse "privacy lite" with anti-stalking or anti-identity-theft countermeasures.

3. It's the internet, if you don't want the info out there, just don't do it. Response: We, as a community, all benefit from logging. The logs are what bonds us all together, it's a journal of a place that we all have in common and we all add our moment-in-time entry to the shared journal. Every time a cacher finds a cache but doesn't log their visit out of privacy concerns, that is OUR loss. Nut just THEIRS--it is our loss too. We are the ones that miss out on having that chapter in our shared journal. So I am, and always will be, in favor of any features that encourage participation, encourage logging.

And finally, let me say this: This arguments for/against showing find counts always become intermingled with the arguments for/against showing a cacher's chonological find history. The idea of hding find counts to de-emphasize numbers is not really related at all to the idea of hiding the chronological find list for privacy reasons. They really need to be debated independently and sadly the OP fired both the bullets at once.

So well said. I think you've covered the issues well. I remember those early heated discussions on Feedback - this discussion is far more encouraging. More people are willing to see the benefits of privacy settings for individual cachers.

I like posting logs to caches, and I like sharing photos; I would simply prefer to control some of how that information is disseminated, that's all.

that looks like a contradiction, please elaborate

I do like sharing photos with cache owners, for example (and I think that in general, owners appreciate it). I also think it is nice for people visiting a cache page to see the photos that have been shared there. I know as a fellow cacher, I like it. I'd just prefer for people not to be able to click on my profile and see every photo I've ever taken all in one easy-to-page-through gallery. I think it would be nice to have the option to restrict that a bit, say to geocaching.com's friends list. I also think it would be good to have the option to leave my profile completely open and accessible, because I know that some people enjoy that.

If there were privacy controls in place, I would post more photos, which owners and visitors to cache pages would hopefully enjoy. If others felt the same way as I do (I have no idea), and if those who like to keep their profiles completely open to the world don't suddenly *stop* posting photos, it seems that there is a decent chance that more photos would be posted to cache pages. I think that would be great.

btw: not logging your finds doesn't mean dropping out of the game, there are a lot of cachers that don't log online and they still enjoy the game

I've had folks tell me before that because I'm interested in some control over my information, that perhaps "this game" isn't for me. I don't really agree with that. I like geocaching. And I also like taking photos, and logging finds. It's nice to be able to see where I've been and what I was thinking when I was there.

i hope you're not suggesting that having your find count visible is a privacy violation as much as all the privacy violations of facebook?

No, I'm saying that members should have some control over what information, specific to them, is displayed to other members. A very simple concept. Frankly, it amazes me that so many people are opposed to that. GreySurprized.gif

GreySquint.gif