Reasons why people watch a cache

L0ne.R

There was another recent CO poster who wants to know who's watching their cache. This got me thinking:

What are the various reasons people watch a cache. Here are a few I could think of:

• see if anyone mentions taking the swag you left
  • see if anyone else had as great a caching experience as you did
  • see if anyone else mentions the lameness of the cache
  • after putting a NM on the cache, see if the cache gets repaired
  • after putting a NA on the cache, see if the cache gets archived or changed (maybe go out and CITO the remains if the CO did not respond)
  • watch for the cache to be archived and then place your own
  • it's a controversial cache and you want to watch the fireworks and see how it ends up

What are the various reasons why COs want to know who's watching:

• ???

That seems to be a pretty comprehensive list. I'd add a category of those who DNF on a cache they think might be missing. They want to go back if someone else confirms the cache is there by logging it.

I've known of two caches in our area that recently got a lot of 'watchers'. One was placed by a newbie with live ammo in it (they fixed that). The other was pure fireworks when a newbie went awol on a missing cache. Someone else replaced it and, a few months later, the CO showed up again and deleted everybody's finds. (Cache is now missing again, is disable by the reviewer, and the owner is AWOL one more).

If my trackable is (supposed to be) in it and I want to see who visits the cache since the drop-off.

If it's at an exception location (like "No Further South From Here") that I will never get to but I want to enjoy the logs of those who do get there.

If it's one of our caches which we've adopted over to another cacher but we're doing the maintenance for it.

MrsB

Edited by The Blorenges

I've used it for 4 reasons:

I found the cache really enjoyed it, and want to read other logs.

After DNFing a cache. If someone logs a valid find I will try to get to it ASAP.

To watch challenge caches I'm working on and trying to FTF.

To watch events for announcements on changes. The new announcement log has made this less needed.

That seems to be a pretty comprehensive list. I'd add a category of those who DNF on a cache they think might be missing. They want to go back if someone else confirms the cache is there by logging it.

I've known of two caches in our area that recently got a lot of 'watchers'. One was placed by a newbie with live ammo in it (they fixed that). The other was pure fireworks when a newbie went awol on a missing cache. Someone else replaced it and, a few months later, the CO showed up again and deleted everybody's finds. (Cache is now missing again, is disable by the reviewer, and the owner is AWOL one more).

The problem here is someone replaced the container. That has been discussed many times but this is a perfect example of where a NA log would have been the best thing to do.

Edited by Walts Hunting

I watch a puzzle cache because I never solved it and wanted to see who all found it. 1 finder in 6 months

I watched a DNF Cache for 6 months only recently was it verified as being gone, should I claim West Coast Rule.

I watch 5 Star New York because it is just a great cache and the finders are something of a club. some people spend a year working it out.

Sometimes I watch friends caches.

Variety of reason.

This is why we watch:

When going on an FTF run since most in this area will post a find right away, we will know if there is a reason to hurry or not.

Wanting to get clues from other logs on Puzzle cache or other hard cache.

On a few caches in our area that has a missing owner, is to help with maintenance or those that can't find it.

To see how "problem" caches get taken care of.

To see how long it is till the next cachers finds it.

•  
  • Sometimes I'm just curious. The cache may look interesting, or placed interesting.
  • Sometimes it's about planning the approach. A seasonal cache, like a canoe cache a watch can give me a heads up that it is now reachable, or help me plan how to get there based on the most recent visits.
  • Sometimes it's follow-up on a log entry (FTF/NA/NM/DNF) to see what happened after
  • Of course, then there's event caches which are a whole new ball-o-wax, used to be the best way for attendee notifications

We've put a watch on some caches for two reasons:

1. We couldn't find it but want to try again and are hoping someone will leave a new log that might give us a good clue!

2. We logged a DNF and sent a note to the owner mentioning a problem, and didn't hear back from the CO so added a watch to see if it gets archived or disabled.

One thing I haven't seen mentioned is watches on caches that are owned by family members. My 11 year old son owns a few caches. I have a watch on his caches, in case any issues come up. Other than that I don't use the watch list very much. In the past I have used it on tough hides that I DNF, hoping to get some clues from find logs.

One thing I haven't seen mentioned is watches on caches that are owned by family members. My 11 year old son owns a few caches. I have a watch on his caches, in case any issues come up.

Although not a family member, I do watch my cache partner's caches so that if one of hers needs maintenance we can schedule a trip or include it in our weekly outing. Or I just might swing by it to make sure it is OK.

The other reason I watch caches is they are on my "todo" list and I can glean clues and hints from some of the logs regarding the harder hides I'm interested in.

In the past I have used it on tough hides that I DNF, hoping to get some clues from find logs.

Yep.... a very good reason to watch a cache.

I watch caches when:

1. I couldn't find it and I want to see if others have found it after me to know if I should go try again or not. (if no one finds it eventually I'll post a "needs maintenance" on it)

2. If I put a "needs maintenance" on a cache and the owner had not logged in in a long time. If it never gets the maintenance it needs and it was simple I may go do it. If it's more complicated, then I may have to file an N/A.

3. I've got a couple of watches on caches that I want to go find that are way out of the way, so I don't forget where they are.

4. I've got a watch on a couple because they might get interesting logs, like the international space station cache.

I found the cache really enjoyed it, and want to read other logs.

After DNFing a cache. If someone logs a valid find I will try to get to it ASAP.

Ditto on those two reasons. Also, if it's a cache that I want to do in the future, but can't yet for whatever reason (time, distance, etc), sometimes I'll watch it just to read of others' adventures... and to keep it in mind so I don't forget about it in my chaotic, ADD world, LOL. :D

I have two semi difficult hides in a small park. There was one in the park before I hid mine that was frequently found. I got very little action on mine. I then got a DNF on one of mine, that mentioned they wished it was as easy as the other one in the park, so I put a watch on the easy one in the park to see how many cachers were in the area and possibly DNFing my two and just not reporting it.

Because there's deep snow and I'm willing to let someone else blaze the trail.

That's what "Found in the last 7 days" is for. :)

That's all fine and good until Mother Nature drops another 10" of snow and the cache that was found last Wednesday is once again buried in knee high snow. :mad::)

I watch caches that I've found because I enjoyed finding them and I like to read about other people enjoying finding them.

For caches I haven't found, having them on my watchlist keeps them in a handy place for me if I want to include them in a PQ. I can just go into my watchlist, choose that cache and download the GPX file so that I can upload it to GSAK.

Now the second part of the question.....

Besides curiosity, what are the various reasons why COs want to know who's watching?

I really don't care who is watching my caches.

Sadly - I have seen in the forums many times that folks want to know the watchers because they want to accuse them of any number of wrong doings including: tb theft, tb hoarding, moving the cache, taking the cache, damaging the area etc....

My additions:

* Sometimes I will watch a difficult cache that I couldn't find to see if anyone else finds it (to help me validate whether it's there or it might be missing)

* If I place a fairly easy-to-find cache in an area with another cache nearby (e.g. a park), I might watch the other person's cache to see if cachers log a find on that one but then don't log anything on mine. It helps me to determine if I need to go check on my cache (especially when folks don't post DNFs)

In another thread, I suggested a property manager use Geocaching to help monitor his property by putting local caches on his watchlist.

Most of the ones I watch are to see other cachers reactions to ones I found particularly fun. I have two where I assist the CO, and watch for issues.

I used to put a watch on every cache I had found to see what other cachers had thought of the same experience. After having over a hundred on my watchlist, they got unwieldy and I eliminated most of them, except for the interesting ones.

Now its more fun to watch the watchers. I'd edit my cache pages to make it a PMO, and then post an "unusual" log to see how many PMs are watching it. :D

My finds get watched, until at least the next "Found it" log. (About half of my current list)

Local caches that haven't been found for a while, if I find myself in that neighbourhood.

DNF's that I could reasonably return to.

Distant caches that I found interesting, or that I could check in on again in the future for maintenance.

Puzzles I've solved, but haven't been able to get to.

Just for you I did a tally of my watchlist reasons:

7 are caches I haven't found and waiting for more logs to maybe get clues

3 are Upcoming Events (I keep them in my watchlist so I don't forget them)

2 are caches that I'm interested in seeing new logs (example 50 states of America challenge)

2 are challenge caches

1 is a cache that is of personal interest (FTF related :anibad:)

1 is a cache that is only accessible at certain times

1 is a cache I need for a challenge and don't want to forget

There was another recent CO poster who wants to know who's watching their cache. This got me thinking:

What are the various reasons people watch a cache. Here are a few I could think of:

• see if anyone mentions taking the swag you left
  • see if anyone else had as great a caching experience as you did
  • see if anyone else mentions the lameness of the cache
  • after putting a NM on the cache, see if the cache gets repaired
  • after putting a NA on the cache, see if the cache gets archived or changed (maybe go out and CITO the remains if the CO did not respond)
  • watch for the cache to be archived and then place your own
  • it's a controversial cache and you want to watch the fireworks and see how it ends up

What are the various reasons why COs want to know who's watching:

• ???

A lot of the caches I have on my watchlist belong to people who came to the forums and DEMANDED or just whined about wanting to know who was watching their cache.

I use my Watchlist mostly for caches that I have DNF'd to see if someone else Finds the cache to both confirm it is there and possibly make a comment in their log that tips me off where to try next time.

I have a few caches on my Watchlist because they seem pretty epic and I want to read logs of Finders; or amazingly difficult and I want to read logs of DNFers.

If there was a cache near me that had a high amount TB turnover I might watch that too to keep an eye out for new TBs.

I use it when I DNF a cache. Then I look to see if someone else finds it or if it is really missing. If it's found or replaced I'll go back and find it. I also may watch one that was a favorite of mine. Maybe it was difficult to solve and I want to see who else finds it.