Alchemist's Opus Magnus

avroair

Another design, I have been working on this coin for three years, but not really finished until now. This is the mint's first attempt at my artwork and they hate doing roman numerals (it will have serifs). The coin focuses on symbology and meaning... I thought it was fitting to geocoins since some Alchemist's would try and make metals out of other elements.

The symbols fall into four groups: Planets, Four Elements, Seasons and Time Periods. There are also symbols for alchemist compounds.

The Alchemy Opus Magnum or Great Work is a term from in medieval alchemy which refers to the successful completion of the transmutation of base metal into gold. There are four stages (and thus 4 versions of this coin will be available):

nigredo putrefied state

albedo purification, burnout impurity

Citrinitas yellowing, reflective success

Rubedo total fusion of spirit and matter

1b94257f-a2ef-42b5-a153-e86fbfec3909.jpg

Like all life experiences I think you can translate these into the mind, body and spirit of finding a cache:

the hunt arrive at the GZ confused, but full of hope

the search start working through possible spots or placements

the find moment when you get an 'aha'

the satisfaction elation you found it!

Let me know what you think

Edited by Flying Spaghetti Monster

Very nice, Mark. How soon will it be available? and when can we see the other colors?(Are you using the metal colors and no fill or are you going to fill some areas on some colors?)

nigredo= black nickel

albedo= bright nickel

Citrinitas= gold

Rubedo=copper

Edited by CCWashburn

Very nice, Mark. How soon will it be available? and when can we see the other colors?(Are you using the metal colors and no fill or are you going to fill some areas on some colors?)

nigredo= black nickel

albedo= bright nickel

Citrinitas= gold

Rubedo=copper

Here are some colors I was mixing and matching:

ec046a35-6600-424e-90f4-09e697fdec18.jpg

I also thought of a purple and green with gold (mardi gras!); and a blue and yellow (old navy!) color ideas... there are lots of possibilities.

Edited by avroair

nigredo= black nickel

albedo= bright nickel

Citrinitas= gold

Rubedo=copper

I also thought of a purple and green with gold (mardi gras!); and a blue and yellow (old navy!) color ideas... there are lots of possibilities.

If you get the Mardi Gras I will definitely get one of those.

nigredo= black nickel

albedo= bright nickel

Citrinitas= gold

Rubedo=copper

How about silver with shades of blue? Yes, I am one of those blue and silver cliche people.

Great design work!

Not sure about the colors. It seems to me that an alchemy based coin like this would do better with minimal color and go 2 tone on the metals used. Use a base metal for most of he coin and polished gold for accents. Or you could keep the colors on the face but leave the back a simple 2 tone.

I am planning on something like that. As a later version. Two-tone adds quite a bit to the costs.

Now that I am noodling:

11082c15-0bf2-4790-9ab2-27ed91ea7dbe.jpg

1) Germany --- Faust edition!

2) Blue --- Silvermist editon

3) Purple \ Yellow --- Transmute edition

4) Mardi Gras --- Flamel edition!

wow, another design that I'm just now catching up with... I remember seeing the few posts, but I've been lost for a stint and recently found... I really like these, I'll be looking forward to them and I'll keep a better eye out for them... the color combos really look great ...