Challenge Caches + Puzzles + Waypoints?

I've been trying to find an example or two of a Challenge Cache that ALSO has some puzzle-like qualities AND multiple waypoints combined as well. In other words, it isn't just a straight find of the container that you log (assuming you already met the Challenge requirements themselves, otherwise you'd be out trying to satisfy those requirements).

Is such a thing possible? Do they exist, or are Challenge Caches and "Multiple-Waypoint / Puzzle" Caches meant to be mutually exclusive under the "Mystery / Unknown" category?

Thanks.

Edited by daschpeeg

I've been trying to find an example or two of a Challenge Cache that ALSO has some puzzle-like qualities AND multiple waypoints combined as well. In other words, it isn't just a straight find of the container that you log (assuming you already met the Challenge requirements themselves, otherwise you'd be out trying to satisfy those requirements).

Is such a thing possible? Do they exist, or are Challenge Caches and "Multiple-Waypoint / Puzzle" Caches meant to be mutually exclusive under the "Mystery / Unknown" category?

Thanks.

Well, according to the Knowledge Base there's no specific blocking of Puzzle/Multi challenge caches:

10. The challenge cache must be findable without needing to email the owner, either by posting the true coordinates or by posting instructions for a puzzle or multi-cache.

So as long as it's not an impossible puzzle, you should be good to go.

Looking through the Colorado caches, I don't see anything within your (our) state that matches that type of cache. Reading through the guidelines for "Challenge Caches" I don't see a prohibition within those rules. I read the following as it's allowed:

The challenge cache must be findable without needing to email the owner, either by posting the true coordinates or by posting instructions for a puzzle or multi-cache.

You'll need to meet the requirements of both, but if anybody can navigate that I'd think you'll be able to. smile.gif

well, in Washington, we have a few of the 70 or so challenge caches that have a puzzle or multi like stuff to solve, without just being given the coordinates.

GC1BGWH Washington's Geology: An Earthcache Challenge (technically you do not have to do these if you get pre-approval and email from CO before you go out)

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=0a56fd67-5433-4aad-bbc0-718a7fc37f69

GC1QRW4 Snohomish County History Lesson

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=bc422f12-cc38-4854-950a-f70d9edaf319

GC16R01 Cache By Numbers - Challenge Cache of Washington

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=99691e34-e0a6-4de8-bd6c-0f75b0781f2d

Technically, I am not sure what the official stance on challenges are as far as puzzles go. I know they should be at listed coordinates in most cases (ie no putting false coordinates as listed, then the final as a waypoint) but I have not seen a challenge come out in Washington for year and years which had a puzzle/multi AND a challenge. These 3 are relatively old.

Edited by lamoracke

If I'm reading the guidelines correctly, then you can make the challenge a puzzle or multi to find the final. But what is the purpose of trying to make it any tougher, the cacher has allready met the challenge so why make them look some more. Maybe you should look for this challenge and see if making the final any more difficult is really worth the effort.

Edited by Tahosa and Sons

If I'm reading the guidelines correctly, then you can make the challenge a puzzle or multi to find the final. But what is the purpose of trying to make it any tougher, the cacher has allready met the challenge so why make them look some more. Maybe you should look for this challenge and see if making the final any more difficult is really worth the effort.

Except, according to the guidelines: "Requiring cachers to find an explicit list of caches (rather than a broader category of caches) will likely prevent the cache from being published."

While this cache obviously got published, who is to say if the next cache would, based on the language in those guidelines...

Edited by daschpeeg