Changing log orders.

Essap

I normally try to log my logs in order and frequently the log order is not important. However, I would like my milestones to appear correctly. Recently, we had a situation where we found over 50 caching in a day. We started the day at an event where caches were released prior to publication to attendees. We then found a couple of those caches. Later in the day we found a special cache which should have been our milestone cache. That night I logged the caches, in order. I had to skip the 2 new caches we found earlier in the day because they were not yet published. Now our milestone shows 2 caches after the actual milestone. The next day when the new caches were published, I then logged them. They however, show as the last caches we found.

Does anybody know of a way to adjust the order, without deleting logs and relogging? Either on geocaching.com or GSAK.

Thanks for any help

The only way I have seen recommended in the past is to log a single cache (the milestone one) on a given day.

You could go back and change the dates (since you actually found the caches I don't think the CO would have a problem with it). Log up to one shy of the milestone on a given day. Log the milestone cache the next day. Then log the others after that.

It isn't that hard the edit feature offers the ability to change the date.

The only way I have seen recommended in the past is to log a single cache (the milestone one) on a given day.

You could go back and change the dates (since you actually found the caches I don't think the CO would have a problem with it). Log up to one shy of the milestone on a given day. Log the milestone cache the next day. Then log the others after that.

It isn't that hard the edit feature offers the ability to change the date.

I actually tried this first and it didn't work. I logged the ones prior to the newly published ones on the correct day. Then I logged the rest of the day as the next day, which was when I was actually logging. Then when the new caches were published I logged them. I then changed the dates on the ones from later in the day to the day before. However, Geocaching.com still shows the logs in the order entered originally. That is, First the early ones in the day, entered and logged on the correct day. Second, it shows the caches from later in the day that were originally logged on the following day and as the following day and subsequently changed to the correct day after the caches were logged. Finally the last caches shown are the new caches which were logged on the second day, but dated the first day.

I actually tried this first and it didn't work. I logged the ones prior to the newly published ones on the correct day. Then I logged the rest of the day as the next day, which was when I was actually logging. Then when the new caches were published I logged them. I then changed the dates on the ones from later in the day to the day before. However, Geocaching.com still shows the logs in the order entered originally. That is, First the early ones in the day, entered and logged on the correct day. Second, it shows the caches from later in the day that were originally logged on the following day and as the following day and subsequently changed to the correct day after the caches were logged. Finally the last caches shown are the new caches which were logged on the second day, but dated the first day.

I'm getting a headache trying to follow this!

True and thad will display when you run the stat macro but the new statistics page on gcwon't have that order

I've been complaining about this for years Frustrating since time/date would be so much more useful.

Bottom line is: you cannot re-order your finds on the site such that they will always remain in the proper order.

You can use GSAK and manually enter the cronological order in a custom user field. I do that and it works great.

I know how to do a custom user field. How does the Stat generator know this is the cache order?

Also, can I start in the middle or do I need to go all the way back and number all my 1200 finds?

Thanks for the feedback.

You can use GSAK and manually enter the cronological order in a custom user field. I do that and it works great.

I know how to do a custom user field. How does the Stat generator know this is the cache order?

Also, can I start in the middle or do I need to go all the way back and number all my 1200 finds?

Thanks for the feedback.

You would have to number each find from #1 - #X, then sort, then run the FindStats macro. This will spit out the stats in that same order and milestones will be correct.

Thanks for the feedback.

You would have to number each find from #1 - #X, then sort, then run the FindStats macro. This will spit out the stats in that same order and milestones will be correct.

How does Findstats know what those numbers mean? Do I need to give it a particular name?

If you are using GSAK, you can do this:

Run FindStatGen3 macro. Part way through, at the "HTML Export" section, instead of clicking "OK", click "Options". Next to "Milestone separation", there is an Edit button. Press the edit button, then down at the bottom, put the milestone you want a cache to be, then put in the GC code, then make sure the date is correct. That will fix the HTML output that you put on your profile. This doesn't actually change your stats, but it changes what people see in your GSAK output on your profile. :) Wish this were an option for the new stats Groundspeak gave us. Our first cache is WRONG because we didn't know any better back when we started. :(

If you are using GSAK, you can do this:

Run FindStatGen3 macro. Part way through, at the "HTML Export" section, instead of clicking "OK", click "Options". Next to "Milestone separation", there is an Edit button. Press the edit button, then down at the bottom, put the milestone you want a cache to be, then put in the GC code, then make sure the date is correct. That will fix the HTML output that you put on your profile. This doesn't actually change your stats, but it changes what people see in your GSAK output on your profile. :) Wish this were an option for the new stats Groundspeak gave us. Our first cache is WRONG because we didn't know any better back when we started. :(

Thanks for the feedback everyone. I think I can make it work. Seems like Geocaching.com should address this. Especially now when they give you their own form of statistics.

Simple fact is that until recently - nobody at HQ really cared for stats. Many if not most Geocachers just don't care about the exact order or have learned to always log them in order.

• Helpful 1
On 2/21/2011 at 11:42 AM, niraD said:

You can also edit your milestones, so the site displays the correct cache as your milestone instead of the one it guessed based on the online logs.

Thank you so much, I had no idea you could do this! I messed up logging and put our 500th one as 501 by mistake and it has bothered me for almost a year. We planned a whole road trip around it and everything! Needless to say I have been very careful logging since that day. I was able to go in and easily edit the milestone to show the correct cache. Thank you so much!

• Upvote 1
  • Helpful 1

Back in the day we used to fly from the extreme N.W. corner of Calif. to a facility near Travis AFB ... the big request was to pick up apricot logs ,>>>>> invariably on the return trip requests would come in to change their LOG ORDER!!!

Hmmmmmmm, I guess this is WAAAAAAYYYYYY off topic, however, that is where my distorted mind went as I read the teaser topic.  Sorry folks.

Geo-hugggggzzzz to all.

3 hours ago, humboldt flier said:

Back in the day we used to fly from the extreme N.W. corner of Calif. to a facility near Travis AFB ... the big request was to pick up apricot logs ,>>>>> invariably on the return trip requests would come in to change their LOG ORDER!!!

Hmmmmmmm, I guess this is WAAAAAAYYYYYY off topic, however, that is where my distorted mind went as I read the teaser topic.  Sorry folks.

Geo-hugggggzzzz to all.

Sure off topic, but a useful post! I never knew apricot logs were a thing. I love all things apricot. Once again, geocaching gives me a gift I didn't know I needed. Thanks!

6 hours ago, TerraViators said:

Wow.  A 10-year bump.

But with the lab caches logged immediately online that topic is a current one.

If you log 10 "normal" caches and a lab cache in a day and you don't log the normal caches in the field (what you shouldn't do) the lab caches will always come first. That makes the planning of a jubilee cache harder as you shouldn't make a lab afterwards (!) at the same day as it will disrupt the counting process. Sure, you can change your milestones but some cachers want to see this magic number - let's say 10,000 - appear at the screen if they log the jubilee cache.

Another not well-thought thing about lab caches counting as geocaches. :-(

• Upvote 1
  • Love 1
On 5/19/2021 at 8:49 AM, frostengel said:

But with the lab caches logged immediately online that topic is a current one.

And this gave me headaches as well... The simple but less accurate solution would be to chenge the log-date of the "normal" caches (not lab caches) you found before the lab to the day before, log the lab and the subsequent caches. This solution mixes up log dates (and this is why I don't do it) and it does not work if you find more than one lab on a day.

Today I found a solution which fixes the order for gsak + FindStatGen3 - and this is what I need :rolleyes:. So I hope it might be helpful to others as well. Unfortunately, it is a bit cumbersome so I would do this only if the milestones are relevant:

1. Install the Macro "CreateLog" from the gsak macro index (https://gsak.net/board/index.php?showtopic=6527&st=0&#entry246496) (just for the first time)
  2. You will need a sqlite database editor. I'm using the sqlite manager that even comes with gsak
  3. Log your "normal" caches so that they have a "found" log in your gsak database.
  4. Create a dummy log entry for your labs by selecting the lab cache and running the CreateLog Macro. Unfortunately, FindStatGen does not use the time you entered to sort the logs but the LogId. The macro creates a dummy ID which is still out of order. Now we could think of an enhanced macro which creates the best fitting ID automatically based on the time stamp, but I proceeded manually:
  5. Start the sqlite manager and open your "Founds" database. You will need to locate the database on your computer. On mine, it is on C:\users\[myusername]\AppData\roaming\gsak\data\FoundAndLost\sqlite.db3 (FoundAndLost is my database name)
  6. Check the caches you found on this day using the following SQL statement (adjust the date!):
    SELECT * FROM Logs WHERE lDate = "2022-11-29"

You should now get a list showing all your found logs including their IDs.

7. Sort the list based on the lLogId column by clickin on its header. You should now see your lab-caches with IDs starting with 9000... and the other ones starting with higher numbers. Now identify between which caches the lab shall be placed. Then choose a new ID which is between the IDs of the respective caches. In my example, I now want the lab with ID 900000001 to be placed between the cache with ID 1139501716 and the one with ID 1139501782. I was lazy and chose 1139501780 as the new ID for the lab.
  8. Now you update the database with the new ID:
    UPDATE Logs
    SET lLogId = 1139501780
    WHERE lLogId = 900000001;

Of course you have to adapt the numbers according to your situation.
    Check the result by running the SQL statement from step 6 again.

9. Repeat step 7 & 8 for all LAB caches for that day.

10. Close the sqlite manager (otherwise gsak will not be able to open the database)

11. Run FindStatGen3 in gsak and check your milestones!
    image.png.a1e298c5155d12bddaf81a32535fc0bb.png

Edited by spazierenmitziel
typo