Caching by bike

CherryPi

Hi everyone

Can anyone tell me of any good routes or trails that can be cached by bike?

Thanks in advance

Claire

I see that you are likely in the UK so I can't help there. If you ever want to bikecache the east coast of the USA, I've got lots of suggestions. Good Luck

Michaelcycle

edited to add: I spotted this in the new topics list and did not see it was on the UK forum until after I posted, sorry!

Edited by Michaelcycle

The WTF series in west london follows the canal system, so nice flat riding and no hills :P

That's what I was going to suggest, but I checked where the OP's cache hide is located (on the assumption that's near where they live) and it's a long way from London!

Rgds, Andy

Yeah I live in Stoke but I wouldn't mind doing this series some time. Ideally need some a little more local too though :)

Hi everyone

Can anyone tell me of any good routes or trails that can be cached by bike?

Thanks in advance

Claire

Some information about what kind of location you're interested in might be useful here <_<

Edit: I see you mentioned it further down... never mind...

Edited by team tisri

If down in the South West, there is Ernie B's Coast to Coast which I did in a day on a bicycle. It goes from Uphill (Weston) down to West Bay (Bridport). It is mostly along quiet roads, and diversions can be made. A pleasant day with mostly roadside finds,

The only downside is that it is not circular, and you need to pedal back, or have someone to give you a lift.

Good Luck

If down in the South West, there is Ernie B's Coast to Coast which I did in a day on a bicycle. It goes from Uphill (Weston) down to West Bay (Bridport). It is mostly along quiet roads, and diversions can be made. A pleasant day with mostly roadside finds,

The only downside is that it is not circular, and you need to pedal back, or have someone to give you a lift.

Good Luck

That's sounds like some day & achievement too !

I'm a newbie - been caching for less than four weeks. Generally go caching on foot, although we have taken the bikes a couple of times too: but nothing as extreme as your adventure....not yet anyhow.

Has anyone else noticed any weight loss from caching ? I now have an excuse to have one more beer now as I'll walk/bike it off tomorrow : )

deffo noticed ive lost abit of weight!!! have been walkin since i started, recently just got my bike fixed. Leigh has some good caches - foxcache series (on old slag heaps, beautiful when its sunny) Theres more animal series eg Lion and badger all around the same area :) good luck wi ur new found addiction :)

Has anyone else noticed any weight loss from caching ? I now have an excuse to have one more beer now as I'll walk/bike it off tomorrow : )

Oh yes... I bought a bike initially as a way of striking out further to go caching without having to take the car. The first caching trip I did by bike was about 5 miles and I was ready to curl up and die at the end of it. Now I don't bat an eyelid at cycling 7-8 miles each way for a single cache, often extend the journey home to make it more interesting, and for good measure I've lost four inches off my waistline.

I try to do most of my urban caching by bike assuming I can get my bike there in the 1st place! Quite handy when looking for nanos can act like I'm examining the bike! and allows a larger area to be covered than can normally be done on foot.

I've biked round most of (except footpaths) the Temple Bottom series (8miles/38 caches) near Swindon. Last weekend I was in Windsor and went round 2 series (Great Park (5 miles/ 15 caches) and Virginia Waters (5 miles 17 caches) series by bike, the latter though had a section where I had to push the bike.

Etchilhampton near Devizes has a circuit all on byways. I think we clocked 5 miles and 30 odd caches. There are quite a few bikeable routes in that part of Wiltshire.

We (Cache and Cake Club) have just put out a Chocolate Series near Wantage that is completely on byways. It is 4 miles and 24 caches...and not one gate or stile!

ALong the Kennet and Avon canal, there are loads of caches that you can ride to, it is a beautiful area.