Which GPS. Please Help

gasmark7

Hi

I'm new to Geocaching and having a great time with the family. What a brilliant pass time.

However I've decided to buy a GPS unit and need help as I've looked at far too many and now I'm totally confused.

I've narrowed it down to a Garmin Dakota 20, Garmin Oregon 200 or a Garmin GPSMap 62. all around £180 though I may be tempted to spend a wee bit more.

Which one would you choose and why?

Many thanks,in advance for your help.

From your list, the Dakota 20 has the largest feature set. The 62 lacks the "sensors", the model comparable to the Dakota 20 would be the 62s. The Oregon x00 models are discontinued, if anything you should look at a 450, which is basically the bigger brother of the Oregon.Of course all that is just a small part of the story. It would help to know which features you're interested in and which ones you don't care about.

EDIT: nevermind, duplicate thread.

Edited by dfx

I've just signed up to this - kind of on a budget though, so I was wondering what people thought of the Garmin eTrex H Handheld GPS Navigator?

Is it any good?

Thanks in advance!

Hi

Its OK, not very user friendly but it is the very bottom of a long list from garmin.

The pc interface is via an extra serial cable.

If you are looking for something around this price have a look at the digiwalker PDAs from Mio

About the same price on ebay and friendlier on the caching front.

Or look further up the range Venture HC is better or the Dakota/Oregon are the ones to save for.

hey sorry I'm writing in Danish but you must translate it.

hvis du vil have en GPS der kan tåle lidt af været ville jeg nok købe en GARMIN ETREX den er vandtæt og stødsikker og har de fleste funktioner det eneste dårlige er af når du skal skrive kordinatter ind er der ikke en touth skærm så det kan godt tage lidt tid man kan dog købe et USB stik eller barde sende waypoint fra geocaching

mvh daniel

Got a Dakota 20 on Ebay for $224 US and LOVE IT! I would recommend it highly! Paperless caching is great, super good accuracy, great navigation, and compass that allows you to maintain direction without moving.

Hi

Im also looking at the Dakota 20 as its a good price and has paperless.

With the paperless feature do you have to download a specific map, How does it work?????

Im strugling to find information on it.

Cheers

Got a Dakota 20 on Ebay for $224 US and LOVE IT! I would recommend it highly! Paperless caching is great, super good accuracy, great navigation, and compass that allows you to maintain direction without moving.

Hi

Im also looking at the Dakota 20 as its a good price and has paperless.

With the paperless feature do you have to download a specific map, How does it work?????

Im strugling to find information on it.

Cheers

You'd need to become a premium member so you can obtain GPX files to go paperless.