State parks experience.

sword fern

Well, ever since I got a cache in a state park with a permit, I was curious in other peoples experiences with state parks.

Share?

The experience in Washington State is different than in any other since we need to work with the SP system for permits and site approval. Other states have permit processes but they will be different from those required here in Washington. I would suggest you go here to review the requirements if you have not done so already.

Well, ever since I got a cache in a state park with a permit, I was curious in other peoples experiences with state parks.

Share?

The experience in Washington State is different than in any other since we need to work with the SP system for permits and site approval. Other states have permit processes but they will be different from those required here in Washington. I would suggest you go here to review the requirements if you have not done so already.

My experince with hiding in a Washington state park is less than positive. I submitted the paperwork, waited, waited some more and waited even more. When I finally called no one knew what I was talking about. There are to many other places to hide caches to mess with the bureaucratic nightmare of a state park.

I work with State Parks in Va, Tn, and Ky. Physical caches are not allowed in Ky. and no new placements in Tn. I also have a user that is very intent in causing me to have to archive my EC listing in a Tn. State Park by giving directions to a short cut through the middle of a golf course, which in not a acceptable way to access the cache for geocachers. It is a active golf corse, for golfers. The same user has waymarked many sites in the Park, and has two geocache listings there that must be renewed and approved by the PTB in Nashville. Users like this that side step and by pass rules and regulations are what got any new cache placements banned in Tn. State Parks to begin with. Geocaching is permitted with the proper forms in the Commonwealth of Virginia. Here is a link that you may find helpful.

http://www.dcr.virginia.gov/state_parks/geocache.shtml

New York requires a permit to place a geocache in a state park. Much of the policy determining cache placement is made by the local park manager. Some parks, like the ones around Niagara Falls (Goat Island, Devil's Hole, Whirlpool...) are more restrictive. Due to the amount of traffic the park receives, they are reluctant to add new caches and are slowly eliminating the old ones. On the other hand, Darien Lakes State Park has a manager that is very positive towards geocaching. I have not placed a cache there but have heard he is very helpful and even thankful. He sees geocaching as a draw to get people into his park. Allegany State Park is a vast park used by many. It has a bunch of caches, including several night caches. There is an annual geocaching "Geobash" held there so the manager there is caching friendly.

I have 1 in a Nebraska state park. The permit process is clearly outlined on their website and all the forms are there. I filled it out and submitted all my information to the local park folks and they had absolutely no idea what to do with it. The supervisor finally told me it sounded like a good idea to him and he wasn't too worried about paperwork or renewals or anything as long as it never caused a problem to him. Go figure....

the state parks in texas are great places to cahche.. the TPWD has even had their own managed challenges.. we haven't placed any yet, but i believe there is a simple form to file with the local park office just so they know where the caches are and can make sure there aren't any problem with extra trails and such. their new challenge is supposed to be state wide.. announcement coming in march..

The Arkansas State Parks support geocaching. They have an "official" cache at each of 52 state parks, all with a clue to a 53rd cache, hidden somewhere in the state. The Arkansas Game and Fish commission also has 6 caches across the state. See http://www.geocaching.com/seek/nearest.aspx?u=Arkansas%20State%20Parks and http://www.agfc.com then go to the Education tab and choose Education Programs. A great state to explore with any beautiful parks. Arkansas SPs also allow private hides but you need a permit, downloadable through their website.

New York requires a permit to place a geocache in a state park. Much of the policy determining cache placement is made by the local park manager. Some parks, like the ones around Niagara Falls (Goat Island, Devil's Hole, Whirlpool...) are more restrictive. Due to the amount of traffic the park receives, they are reluctant to add new caches and are slowly eliminating the old ones. On the other hand, Darien Lakes State Park has a manager that is very positive towards geocaching. I have not placed a cache there but have heard he is very helpful and even thankful. He sees geocaching as a draw to get people into his park. Allegany State Park is a vast park used by many. It has a bunch of caches, including several night caches. There is an annual geocaching "Geobash" held there so the manager there is caching friendly.

I have to Ditto what my Friend Borst68 has said about New York :grin: I have 5 (one is an adopted cache) in a State Park and 1 on Department of Environmental Conservation managed land. I have a good relationship with the State Park Manager. The regional DEC manager and I did all the communication by email. It takes longer and the regulations are a bit different but I had no problems what so ever. If your from NY and wish to place a cache in a State Park or on DEC land please go to the profile for New York Admin all the info for NYS is there. If you have done every thing you need to do then NYA or Sapience Trek will approve it quickly

AFAIK Florida State Parks have been pretty good about accepting cache placements. I think there are a few that are off limits, but some of them have been very accepting of caches. Jonathon Dickinson SP has been hosting an annual event for 5 years in a row and is happy to have Cacheapalooza back again next year for the 6th time.

I had a great experience getting permission from both the State Parks and the BLM folks here in Oregon. I just made some phone calls, and had a couple of meetings. They were all very nice. I think it depends on how one explains geocaching. I think the biggest stumbling block that I've come across is trying to convince them that caching is not littering, since that's what a lot of land managers are led to believe. I know that not everyone in Oregon has had the same positive experience I have...

I work with State Parks in Va, Tn, and Ky. Physical caches are not allowed in Ky...

I'm not sure which KY State Park(s) you're referring to here but many of them allow and even welcome physical caches with permission.

Here is the official Kentucky State Park's geocaching policy

Kentucky State Parks

Policy and Rules For Geocaching

Federal, state and local governments manage public lands in Kentucky. Each agency has their own mission, which directs how they manage the lands under their jurisdiction. This means rules and regulations for public use differ according to each agency. Kentucky State Parks is a state agency mandated to provide outdoor recreation opportunities to the public while, at the same time, protect the states natural, cultural and historic resources. Many parks contain fragile habitats that can be damaged by foot traffic or have hazardous areas such as cliff-lines or sinkholes that may be pose a danger to visitors. Rules have been established that safeguard each park’s resources. Following these rules ensures that everyone enjoys a quality experience with prime educational opportunities each time they visit. Please help us protect these special areas for future generations.

These rules should be followed when considering the placement of a geocache on a state park. Failure to do so will result in the removal of your cache by park staff.

1. Contact the park prior to your visit to obtain permission to place your geocache, and inquire about possible designated and/or “off limit” areas.

2. Only virtual caches are allowed at the following parks, which have dedicated state nature preserves. Nothing physical can be placed on these properties. This is for the purpose of coinciding with the Kentucky State Nature Preserves Commission’s geocaching policy. Audubon, Blue Licks, Carter Caves, Cumberland Falls, Kingdom Come, Natural Bridge, & Pine Mountain.

3. Keep your activities confined directly to the trail, and refrain from having to get off the trail to place or hunt for a geocache. Do not access fragile areas, such as rockhouses, caves, bogs, wetlands, steep slopes, historic structures, and other sensitive sites. Avoid areas closed to the public, or deemed unsafe.

4. Follow all trail rules. Trail systems and some parks, close at dark.

5. Do not interfere, or detract from other park visitors’ experiences. Do not place the cache in high use visitation areas.

6. Adhere to all other land use rules and posted information.

7. Report any incidents, problems, or violations to the appropriate park staff.

8. Encourage friends, and fellow geocachers to follow these guidelines.

We have one placed in a State Park here in Washington, and I would say for me it was a great experience (and since I already work for the government, waiting on forms submitted is sort of part of my daily routine). I filled out the paperwork, took it to the park manager and we walked to the Cache site. He expressed some concerns he had, I assured him I would correct them. Once I did, he signed off on it and sent it up the channels. About four weeks later, I had an approved permit. It really was a positive experience.

I have to Ditto what my Friend Borst68 has said about New York :grin: I have 5 (one is an adopted cache) in a State Park and 1 on Department of Environmental Conservation managed land. I have a good relationship with the State Park Manager. The regional DEC manager and I did all the communication by email. It takes longer and the regulations are a bit different but I had no problems what so ever. If your from NY and wish to place a cache in a State Park or on DEC land please go to the profile for New York Admin all the info for NYS is there. If you have done every thing you need to do then NYA or Sapience Trek will approve it quickly

I was recently able to work with the Niagara Falls Park Authority (I guess that falls under NY State Parks) to place an EC and they were quite friendly, but it did require a fair bit of time. There policy seems very polished. They understand what the geocaches are and how they may impact the area and so they are subject to review after 1-2 years depending on the discretion of the person granting the permit. It was quite an interesting process, but required a fair bit of patience.

Just a short while ago Louisiana Parks began requiring a permit for your cache placement......I had a cache that had been in place about 8 years in one of the parks. They sent me a form and return envelope making everything as easy as could be and even called me on the phone telling me how much the cache was appreciated.

With money being scarce like it is any inducement to visit a park should be appreciated.

One day community governments will come to see geocaching as the money generating activity that it is.

Share?

My experince with hiding in a Washington state park is less than positive. I submitted the paperwork, waited, waited some more and waited even more. When I finally called no one knew what I was talking about. There are to many other places to hide caches to mess with the bureaucratic nightmare of a state park.

You might want to pass that along to hydnsek. She is looking to streamline the state parks approval process.

Caching in Washington State Parks thread over at WSGA.

Share?

All WSPs are not the same; it depends on individual park managers and how they choose to interpret and enforce the guidelines. I know geocachers with multiple caches in state parks who got them approved within minutes, no muss no fuss. For example, the Barnabirdy(s) and Rey del Roble have had positive experiences with placing caches in their nearby state parks. But there are also state parks that create the negative experience you describe. But let's not tar them all with the same brush, cos it's not true and may discourage cachers from even approaching their local state parks.

Thanks for the replies. As people now, my cache was reffering to washington state parks, which has a more...errr....let's say complicated experience. I had to wait for about two months for it to be approved, and man, it was a lota of work considering i was not aware of this process until the local reviewer contacted me and sid I had to get "special" permits for the prk.

Thanks all,

SR

Georgia State Parks have a program in place that has official caches in 42 state parks, and completion levels. (20=Bronze, 30=Silver and 40=Gold) They then have a bonus cache at each level, and you get a free geocoin for each level as well. (We currently have Bronze.) There have been over 7,000 logged finds on those caches so far. The program was so successful in the first year, that Georgia Historic Sites are now starting their own caching program.

Later!

Thanks for the replies. As people now, my cache was reffering to washington state parks, which has a more...errr....let's say complicated experience. I had to wait for about two months for it to be approved, and man, it was a lota of work considering i was not aware of this process until the local reviewer contacted me and sid I had to get "special" permits for the prk.

Thanks all,

SR

I think we need to better publicize the State Parks regulations. I know of at least one cache that is placed in a State Park without a permit, and I suspect that the owners of that cache are unaware of the regulations regarding State Parks.

Thanks all,

SR

I think we need to better publicize the State Parks regulations. I know of at least one cache that is placed in a State Park without a permit, and I suspect that the owners of that cache are unaware of the regulations regarding State Parks.

Agreed that not all cachers know the SP regs, so if you'd like to undertake a project to raise awareness, that would be grand. It's hard to reach everyone on any topic, and Washington's state park regulations are posted in various places, including the WSGA site and some reviewers' profiles, and the WA reviewers routinely deny caches without permit proof.

If you know of a cache that slipped through, you should contact the owner and/or the reviewer. That's what others have done to educate cachers and ensure we stay in the good graces of our parks. It's up to all of us to take action when we see a problem.

[Edited to sound less grumpy, now that I'm rested. :lol: ]

Edited by hydnsek

Thanks all,

SR

Agreed that not all cachers know the SP regs, so if you'd like to undertake a project to raise awareness, that would be grand. It's hard to reach everyone on any topic, and Washington's state park regulations are posted in various places, including the WSGA site and some reviewers' profiles, and the WA reviewers routinely deny caches without permit proof.

If you know of a cache that slipped through, you should contact the owner and/or the reviewer. That's what others have done to educate cachers and ensure we stay in the good graces of our parks. It's up to all of us to take action when we see a problem.

[Edited to sound less grumpy, now that I'm rested. :lol: ]

I did contact the Reviewer that reviewed the cache, and posted a note on the cache.

Thanks all,

SR

I wonder if it would be possible to have Groundspeak add a section to the Guidelines for park policies that lists policies for different areas?

That may be tuff. Each state manages there state parks differently. The key is for each potential CO to contact the agencies and see what the policies are. I've been looking into some areas for cache placement and made the appropriate email contacts. They sent me back a form to fill out. So for each cache i want to place i submit the form then once they approve it i submit the cache.

That may be tuff. Each state manages there state parks differently. The key is for each potential CO to contact the agencies and see what the policies are. I've been looking into some areas for cache placement and made the appropriate email contacts. They sent me back a form to fill out. So for each cache i want to place i submit the form then once they approve it i submit the cache.

Groundspeak's reviewers are responsible to know the policies of agencies in their area as part of the review process. While the cachers should be aware of the policies and do their homework to comply, the reviewers are ultimately responsible for enforcing the policy.

I'm sure everybody's experiences differ depending on the state park system. In NJ there are no permits or policies. They seem to be fine with geocaching as it as so far. The parks superintendents I spoke with know about it, but don't want to have the additional burden of issuing permits or responding to requests for permission. They are shorthanded as it is.

Just over the border in NY it's a different story. They've had a permit system for about 6 years. There was one state park just over the border in NY that was cacheless. A very nice park with some outstanding overlooks, interesting terrain, great scenery and fascinating historic features. The word was that they didn't want caches in there and so it stayed cacheless until about a month and a half ago.

Someone I know made contact with the superintendent and he said they welcome caches but want to approve the locations before hand. That was a surprise to the local community because some said they tried before and were stonewalled. Anyway, I spoke with the ranger and he geocaches himself. Has about 90 finds. I scouted around with another cacher and came up with two good locations. Went back to the office with the coordinates and he checked the GIS maps while I waited, handed me the permits and we talked geocaching for about a half hour.

He logged finds on both caches last week using an account called SterlingRanger2. I guess he was following up to make sure the placements weren't causing problems.

Edited by briansnat

I know of a cache in the same park as mine that doesn't have any permit evidence, vie tried contacting the owner but he hasn't replied in a few months, and he is still active now. I guess I will try contacting the reviewer.

By the way, you're welcome to join the WSGA and the Parks Advocacy Committee if you're interested.

Picacho Peak State Park in AZ suddenly implemented an application program. Basically, they required all existing caches be archived and then an application process be completed to reinstate it. The same process applies for new caches. Essentially, they physically verify the location of all caches. Technically it is "free" but you would have to pay the $7 entrance fee twice: you would have to scope out the location, apply for the cache, then several months later go back to place it, then wait until they examine the location. I had 3 caches in the park under the old rules: they removed one and asked me to reapply for the other two. I decided that it wasn't worth the effort and had the other two removed. See GC19DZW for an example of how the process works. In any case instead of over 10 caches in the park there are now only 2 (not counting the earthcache).

Texas State Parks? Outstanding people that welcome Geocaching! All you have to do is follow the rules. Isn't that usually the case? From what I read, the ones that have problems are the ones that want to do shortcuts and not follow park rules. Texas State Parks are great.

In California all caches must be within 3 feet of a designated trail, and not within 300 feet of a stream, marsh, or sensitive water feature. There are some areas where only virtual caches are permitted. Almost every cache I have found in a state park - with the exception of earthcaches - violates these rules.

Edited by mulvaney

In California all caches must be within 3 feet of a designated trail, and not within 300 feet of a stream, marsh, or sensitive water feature. There are some areas where only virtual caches are permitted. Almost every cache I have found in a state park - with the exception of earthcaches - violates these rules.

Personally, I don't do many state parks because I can't justify paying 6 bucks or more for an hours worth of park time. Here in northern California I know of one nearby state park that welcomes hides and of another that closed the park to all hides a couple of years ago. I was thinking the rules are made by each park rather than by some sort of state regulations.

If those are the rules then I have to agree about the violation of those rules. Where can those California State Park rules be found?

I'm not sure how it is now, but in 2008 it was up to the Park Ranger for Ca. state parks.

We were volunteer guest hosts for Casswell Memorial state Park just outside of Ripon Ca. during the summer, and the ranger was not sure if he wanted caches in the park. He had gotten some poor information from another ranger that he had gone through training with and the other ranger was really down on caches. I explained about the caches and told him all except 1 were within a few steps of the trail, he asked me to keep a eye on them and if there were any problems let him know.

I wonder if it would be possible to have Groundspeak add a section to the Guidelines for park policies that lists policies for different areas?

Actually, there is something in the works with regard to this. It is and always will be a work in progress, but some ideas are working to bring this together into one consolidated area.

Your best option is to contact your local reviewer at this time if you have any questions. Right now I have two areas that are in flux and are a bit muddy, so like I say it will always be a work in progress.

Personally, I don't do many state parks because I can't justify paying 6 bucks or more for an hours worth of park time. Here in northern California I know of one nearby state park that welcomes hides and of another that closed the park to all hides a couple of years ago. I was thinking the rules are made by each park rather than by some sort of state regulations.

If those are the rules then I have to agree about the violation of those rules. Where can those California State Park rules be found?

The link in my original post points to the basic rules for California State Parks. Within these guidelines, it is up to the district superintendent to approve caching in a particular park. The parks that allow caching, including areas that are restricted to virtuals, can be found here.

Some parks have particular restrictions that may limit caching in other ways. As an example, China Camp required all users to remain on designated trails even before the caching guidelines were announced (for good reason since it is ground zero for sudden oak death). Some caches there were placed significantly off trail, so it is always a good idea to know the specific rules for a park.

When the rules were announced, the three foot rule seemed a little restrictive, although I have tried to ensure that the caches I place conform to it -- I abandoned plans for several caches as a result. However, most cachers do not seem aware of them; reviewers make no inquiry unless they learn that a physical cache is placed in a restricted area; and, as far as I know, no park has complained that caches are being placed outside these limits.

Edited by mulvaney

Actually, there is something in the works with regard to this. It is and always will be a work in progress, but some ideas are working to bring this together into one consolidated area.

Your best option is to contact your local reviewer at this time if you have any questions. Right now I have two areas that are in flux and are a bit muddy, so like I say it will always be a work in progress.

Indeed! Thanks, mtn-man.

When we are ready, it will simply appear as one of the books listed here in our collection of Knowledge Books:

http://support.Groundspeak.com/

My past experience in working with Pennsylvania State Parks has been very good, however they now are charging $25 for a permit to place a cache for three years. I've not placed any caches in state parks since the fees went into effect.

Yeah, I heard about that. Ouchy.

Glad I was able to play (i.e. hide caches) there before the $25 fee came along.

My state park has a permit but you must also remove the Geocache after one year. There are some awesome places to hide but it is just annoying having to move the cache every year. Part of the fun of Geocaching is seeing how many people can find one cache year after year.

CacheFreakTim, are you from Iowa? Iowa has the policy that the cache is to be removed from the park after 1 year, but I understand that that provision is seldom enforced.

When my brother hid a cache in an Iowa state park, the most difficult thing was determining who the the land manager was for the park in question. He had to start with a call to Des Moines DNR, and it required several additional calls to determine who managed that particular park. :( Once the manager was contacted, it was simply a process to fill out the permit form. Of course, it did need to get approved to ensure that it was not placed in an environmentally or archiologically sensitive area, etc. They also stressed that it should not be placed in an area where it might be dangerous to access (climbing rock bluffs, etc.). The land manager mentioned that if the cache placement did not cause any problem, that it would not need to be removed in a year as the current policy states. :)

One of the more restrictive state park policies is Illinois. Most of the process of placing a cache in their state parks are pretty "normal". In addition to completing the paperwork, in most cases you must meet with the park ranger when placing the cache. The frustrating aspect is the "maintenance" requirement for Illinois state parks. It is required that the cache owner must PHYSICALLY check the cache EVERY month (Jan-Dec) and then notify the DNR of its condition. :( Obviously, whoever set up the policy didn't understand that much of a cache's condition can be determined from the on-line logs. As a result, other than the few caches which were grandfathered in before the policy was establish, Illinois state parks have very few caches hidden. :(

medoug.

Edited by medoug

@medoug

Yeah, WA state parks has the rule that you have to physically check your cache every month too. Considering its a puzzle cache and it has a 3.5 star terrain, people don't go for it very much. That makes my job harder but that's the rules. See GC2KXVH for more details. Love to hear the stories, keep em coming!

Share?

I got lucky when I placed 3 caches in Rainbow Falls State Park in Washington. I didn't know about the permits and when I found out I contacted this park which was still recovering from the massive storm. The Park manager and I worked together in person and filled out a form for the caches and he checked the spots and okayed them.