Garmin GPSMAP62 / 62s / 62st

ratcliffe

I'm looking at getting one of the Garmin GPSMAP62 series of units so that amongst other things I can run the pocket queries and have caches on there . Then I can go "take me to the nearest cache" etc etc.

I'm not sure of the differences between the models, I have looked at the Garmin site comparison page, and some if it doesn't quite make sense to me.

I assume all the units can do the select cache from list and navigate to it, and they can all do paperless caching. I know that much. But do they all show the public footpaths and rights of ways etc for the UK ?

I'm thinking of getting the 62 or the 62s, but am not sure what extra you get for the st model, it is just the topographical mapping ?

Any advice is welcomed!

Thanks

Derek

I have the plain 62 version which just comes with a worldwide topo map - quite frankly this is useless on it's own. On top of that I've added full UK Navigator 1:50k, and have added local 1:25k maps from Garmin through the Garmin Basecamp application. However these work out at £20 for just 600sq miles (you'll be surprised how small an area this actually is). It all soon adds up.

You'd be better off getting a minimum of the 62s which I believe comes with 1:50k OS maps. But in use you might find that when you zoom in on these maps on the device, they don't rescale below a certain zoom level, leaving you with a blank map. This is where you'll need to get 1:25k OS maps.

You'd be better off getting a minimum of the 62s which I believe comes with 1:50k OS maps.

I can't see that the unit comes with 1:50k mapping on the Garmin site. You might be able to purchase it in a bundle for more money though.

Looking at it, the 62s gets a 3D compass and barometer over the 62 and the 62st gets Garmins naff topo maps which you can get similar maps from Talk Toaster for free. So I do agree that the best option for me would be the 62s out of the three units. However, you'd have one huge job to prise my 550 out of my hands for a 62s.

Edited by Andy K!

I've done a comparison of Garmin GPS receivers, the features and capacities and what maps are available on my resource site. You can see there which run what maps, whether they do PQ's and it also explains what the various compass options mean. Doesn't tell you which is the best one or the one for you but allows you to see what each one offers and why.

Chris (MrB)

Geocaching Resource site for the UK & Ireland

www.follow-the-arrow.co.uk

I've just been down the same road since just before Christmas. Did loads of comparisons and finally bought a 62s last week.

It doesn't come with maps, thats the ST version, and the basic one is less than useless. I have found the 1:50 full GB maps on ebay at a good price though. The S has far more memory than the ST as it doesn't have the maps, and the ones I have bought come on the separate memory card thet fits under the batteries, so leaves me with the units 1.7gb of memory.

Only had it a week and there is loads to learn about it, and coming from an eTrex Legend the features are mind blowing. I tested it in Lincoln without the GB maps and the navigate to next nearest geocache is a great feature.

Given the options, I would say the ST is not worth the extra money, but the S has useful features over the 62 such as 3 axis compas and barometric altimeter etc. So go for the 62S.

I have the plain 62 version which just comes with a worldwide topo map - quite frankly this is useless on it's own. On top of that I've added full UK Navigator 1:50k, and have added local 1:25k maps from Garmin through the Garmin Basecamp application. However these work out at £20 for just 600sq miles (you'll be surprised how small an area this actually is). It all soon adds up.

You'd be better off getting a minimum of the 62s which I believe comes with 1:50k OS maps. But in use you might find that when you zoom in on these maps on the device, they don't rescale below a certain zoom level, leaving you with a blank map. This is where you'll need to get 1:25k OS maps.

The standard 62s doesn't come with maps, you can usually buy it in a bundle with the OS maps but obviously it costs extra.

For myself I'd be inclined to get the 62st simply to get the European maps. I'd still put the OSM maps on it but it means that if I'm travelling in Europe I've still got some form of map to use. The price difference is only about £30-40 or so if you buy online.

The best price I found was from handtec.co.uk - I haven't ordered anything from them (I'm still looking at my 60CSx and struggling to justify the upgrade) so can't say if they are any good or not.

Thank you to everyone who replied on this one, I really appreciate you all taking the trouble and its been very useful. I had formed the initial thought that the 62s might be the way to go, and you've confirmed it.

Special thanks to Chris of the Blorenges, the info pages have been very useful indeed.

Also the link to that handtec website from tt looms good, 25 quid cheaper than annything else I had found so far.

Cheers all!

Thank you to everyone who replied on this one, I really appreciate you all taking the trouble and its been very useful. I had formed the initial thought that the 62s might be the way to go, and you've confirmed it.

Special thanks to Chris of the Blorenges, the info pages have been very useful indeed.

Also the link to that handtec website from tt looms good, 25 quid cheaper than annything else I had found so far.

Cheers all!

I too have the 62S - highly recommended.

Not in stock at handtec ( 22 feb 16:15GMT ) £245.33 with postage.

Try these people: http://www.pentagongps.co.uk/garmin-gpsmap-62-copy-i18009.html

£237.59 and FREE postage AND IN STOCK TODAY.

Excellent, an event better price, and more local to me, thanks very much!

Any more for any more, if you people keep finding enough links, someone might pay me to have one - hehehe.

Cheers again for all the info.

It's where I bought mine last week. Be prepared though, it's a car showroom and you buy the GPS over reception? Bit of an odd set up but genuine.

Excellent, an event better price, and more local to me, thanks very much!

Any more for any more, if you people keep finding enough links, someone might pay me to have one - hehehe.

Cheers again for all the info.

It's where I bought mine last week. Be prepared though, it's a car showroom and you buy the GPS over reception? Bit of an odd set up but genuine.

:-) Imdeed..... although the free tea, coffee, hot choc and biscuits in the posh cups makes up for it..... or is that just if you are buying a £29k RAV?.... opps.... Good place tho, nice guys. highly recomm.