Help with iPad & Geocaching.com

Scubasonic

I have a iPad with the geocahing app, when I originally set it up it gave me the chose to open caches through the notification link in geocaching.com or through the app I chose to open them through Geocaching.com but now I have decided I would like to open the caches through the Geocaching App but I can't figure out how to change it does anyone know how to do that?. I tried deleting the app and re-installing it but that did not seem to work, any help would be greatly appriciated.

Scubasonic

...I chose to open them through Geocaching.com but now I have decided I would like to open the caches through the Geocaching App

My telephone always gives me the option of using either one. I can't answer this question for you since we don't use an iPad for geocaching but I am quite curious...

Do you plan on using the iPad out in the field for caching and not using a gpsr? Does the iPad interface with a gpsr? Do you have a G-3 iPad?

Yes I have the 3G Ipad and no don't use it to actually find the physical cache, use a handheld for that. but just to grab the info from the notification that I receive unfortunately with the Geocaching App I have you choose how it is to open the cache when you first download the app but after that it does not give you a choice.

Scubasonic

I don't recall having that option on my iTouch. Looking through the app on my iTouch there are no options to dictate how it opens a cache. But then i don't guess that would be an option for the iTouch since it doesn't have internet access always available.

I suggest syncing the iPad with your PC/MAC. Then delete the app from the iPad. Reconnect it to your PC/MAC and put the app back on the unit. That should give you the setup options again and you can charge it.

Yes I have the 3G Ipad and no don't use it to actually find the physical cache, use a handheld for that. but just to grab the info from the notification that I receive unfortunately with the Geocaching App I have you choose how it is to open the cache when you first download the app but after that it does not give you a choice.

Scubasonic

I don't own an ipad but the answer should lay in the settings menu. Its probably in either the geocaching app s stored data, or in your ios data. You need to clear that data somehow.

In android it would be settings, applications, clear application data.

Yes I have the 3G Ipad and no don't use it to actually find the physical cache, use a handheld for that. but just to grab the info from the notification...

The iPad is and expensive item to be toting around while hunting caches. It would be vulnerable to the elements and its life might be severely shortened. It seems to me that handling it would be very awkward while searching at ground zero and while trading and signing the log. EDIT: Also, you won't always be in 3G range and many great caches are in remote locations. You likely will hit some very long download times when in spotty locations.

A more practical approach might be to buy an inexpensive PDA on Craigs List and load cache pages before each trip via Bookmarks and PQs. An easy to use program like Spinner will prepare the downloaded file for loading into the PDA. We did this for several years before buying a gpsr that takes cache pages directly.

Edited by Team Sagefox

On the iPhone the http://coord.info links are handled by cookies. When you click a coord.info link, it takes you to a website and it will ask if you want to open in the Geocaching app, or in the browser. If you have a cookie set in Safari, it will skip that page and take the action in the cookie so ....

If you pick that "Remember my preference" (ever) then it will always do that. The fix to reset that setting is to erase your cookies in Safari (Settings -> Safari -> Clear Cookies)

I would imagine the iPad works the same.

I am moving this thread from the Geocaching Topics forum to the GPS and Technology forum.

How does a question about finding a browser for iPad that works with beta maps belong in the GPS subsection?

The issue with beta maps remains just browsing the website for caches. This is not about using iPad to actually gps to a cache.