is this a multi or a puzzle/unknown?

JL_HSTRE

If a cache has multiple stages, but they do not need to be found in order is it a Multi or an Unknown? All stages provide information about the final (not about finding the next stage) and all stages except the Final are Virtuals. An example would be a "walking tour" cache around a downtown area where you need to answer questions about 6 different locations to get the 6 digits you need for the coordinates.

I would think it is an Unknown (Field Puzzle), but I've seen it both ways so I wanted to check.

Sounds like your putting together a series. You want to have multiple traditional caches that each provide a clue to the final cache which could be considered a puzzle cache. You can set it up however you want and call it a multi. But if you want the cacher to be able to log a find for each stage you'll want to set it up like a series.

Sometimes cache can fit either the multi or puzzle/mystery category.

A general rule of thumb (though there are exceptions) is that if the the posted coordinates are merely a placeholder, meaning there is nothing at the coordinates, then it is a puzzle/mystery. If there is something at the posted coordinates that provides a clue to the location of the cache or the next stage, then it is a multi.

I have a cache that sounds similar to yours and I have it listed as a puzzle/mystery, but I think a good argument could also be made for it being a multi.

I've done several multi-caches where you need to visit multiple locations to collect information before you can determine the final coordinates. Generally, you can do the stages in any order, although the cache owners usually arrange the waypoints in a sensible order (e.g., a circular walking tour).

If there isn't something puzzle-like about the way you produce the final coordinates, then I don't see any reason not to list it as a multi-cache.

I have a tour of my area that requires you to drive by 6 places and collect info. Then the final is located and previously gathered info is used to solve it. I submitted it as a unknown but the reviewer made me change it to a multi since the final location was known.

I have always felt the Multi/Puzzle definition was not defined strictly enough. My own personal black and white definition is: If every stage contains coordinates in DDMM.mmm format directing you to the next Stage, it is a Multi. ANYTHING ELSE is not. I know that won't work for many of you but it works perfectly for my hides. Several of my Multi's don't get many visits anyhow, so making a bonus "Multi" a Puzzle doesn't make much difference in the traffic pattern. And if my Reviewer tried to make me publish a cache as a Multi that did not match my personal definition, I would appeal. If I lost the appeal I would pull it and NOT publish.

Now about some of the other ideas/suggestions. I was told that if I hide cache "A" it can have BONUS coords directing you to cache "B". Both will have their own cache page and both can be logged as finds. However, I am NOT allowed to put coords in cache "B" that will lead to a third find at cache "C". That would be a "Series" that can easily be broken by lack of maintenance. Some of what has been suggested here sounds quite similar to what I am not allowed to do. They would certainly make any one cache able to break several other caches. My Reviewer seems to know the guidelines very well and seems to apply them consistently. But is there a loophole here that I have not been made aware of?

I think most responders understand what I'm talking about but for the at least one person who didn't...

Sounds like your putting together a series. You want to have multiple traditional caches that each provide a clue to the final cache which could be considered a puzzle cache. You can set it up however you want and call it a multi. But if you want the cacher to be able to log a find for each stage you'll want to set it up like a series.

What I'm talking about is not a Series because there is only one physical cache container (the Final) but 6+ Virtual stages.

Examples:

http://coord.info/GC17ZBB

http://coord.info/GC2KBM7

I have always felt the Multi/Puzzle definition was not defined strictly enough. My own personal black and white definition is: If every stage contains coordinates in DDMM.mmm format directing you to the next Stage, it is a Multi. ANYTHING ELSE is not.
That's fine as a personal definition for your own caches, but keep in mind that Groundspeak considers offset caches to be multi-caches, even though there is no container or other object at stage 1.

If a cache has multiple stages, but they do not need to be found in order is it a Multi or an Unknown? All stages provide information about the final (not about finding the next stage) and all stages except the Final are Virtuals. An example would be a "walking tour" cache around a downtown area where you need to answer questions about 6 different locations to get the 6 digits you need for the coordinates.

I would think it is an Unknown (Field Puzzle), but I've seen it both ways so I wanted to check.

I believe this is an excellent example of a multi cache. The waypoints can have physical containers or they can be virtual.

If I understood correctly, it's a multi.

I have a cache like this, it has four stages. First three stages are micros with no logbooks, the final is a small with swag and logbook. The difference from the standard multi is that the coordinates of the three intermediate waypoints are given, and they contain partial coordinates for the final, so a geocacher may find them in any order they want.

This is a multi-cache, visit multiple locations, gather info, do something with the info as described on the cache page, get final cache.

It can become an Unknown/Mystery if the "do something with the info" is convoluted, requires some leaps of logic or analysis, or special knowledge, such that cachers will go home and work on it.

If your expectation is that most people can start and finish without needing to do extra research, it's a multi.

For instance, if it's just arithmetic, or some simple Letter=Number for cache coords formula, that's a multi-cache.