Art nouveau seasonal coin series

ECplus3

All of the Spring coins are in the mail with the exception of the two largest orders. They will be going out tomorrow.

Here is the icon in case you haven't seen it:

4434.gif

Also, here is a sneak peek at the first draft for the Summer edition:

summer_front.jpg

All of the Spring coins are in the mail with the exception of the two largest orders. They will be going out tomorrow.

Here is the icon in case you haven't seen it:

4434.gif

Also, here is a sneak peek at the first draft for the Summer edition:

summer_front.jpg

Very nice! I like it a lot. If there were one thing that I would change would be her expression; She looks a bit imperious, which is not an expression I associate with Art Nouveau. Other than that, a great coin and you can count on me to order at least one. If I am feeling rich, I could easily order a whole set.

Very nice! I like it a lot. If there were one thing that I would change would be her expression; She looks a bit imperious, which is not an expression I associate with Art Nouveau. Other than that, a great coin and you can count on me to order at least one. If I am feeling rich, I could easily order a whole set.

I would have to agree, I think she looks a little agitated. I would expect her to look a little softer, more sultry and sensual with that flowing red hair.......I know nothing about Art Nouveau though.........maybe I should google it! :blink:

She seems a little :unsure: busty?

Hmmm, this conversation may be going south. However, you have a point. I don't think volume is the issue, it is more that they are riding awfully high. They almost blend in with her shoulder. This is meant as art critique, but if the moderators find this particular critique troublesome, they are welcome to remove it.

Still, a darn fine coin just as it is.

I know nothing about Art Nouveau though.........maybe I should google it! :blink:

I typed "Art Nouveau" in a Google image search and what came up were some classic examples of Art Nouveau. It is worth doing the search because you can see all of the influences that went into this coin. The style was popular in the 1880s and 1890s.

I would expect her to look a little softer, more sultry and sensual with that flowing red hair

Here is a painting from 1860, which is just 20 years before Art Nouveau. At the time red hair was associated with sensuality. This is the expresion that I imagine, but it is probably difficult to replicate.

497px-Mariya_Magdalena.jpg

I would expect her to look a little softer, more sultry and sensual with that flowing red hair

Here is a painting from 1860, which is just 20 years before Art Nouveau. At the time red hair was associated with sensuality. This is the expresion that I imagine, but it is probably difficult to replicate.

That is exactly how I imagined her expression should be. There is a "softness" to the woman's face in your example that is lacking on the coin. I also like this "closed eye" sensual look which may be easier to portray in a coin:

art-nouveau-poster.jpg

The expression was captured correctly in the first series of the coin, hopefully the artwork can be tweaked to portray the same on this one because the coin is definitely beautiful but I can't get past that unhappy/angry smirk.

I wouldn't call that sultry at all! The word 'drunk' is what comes to mind first. :D

Thanks for the comments everyone. I do appreciate them.

Here is the second draft. I have also altered the medalions along the top and the background behind them. Everything else stays pretty much the same.

summer_front2.jpg

Here is what it will look like in actual size.

summer_front2_sm.jpg

yes, red hair is indeed associated with sensuality :rolleyes: .

ILYK
Edited by drneal

The last of the RE editions (antique nickel and antique bronze) are now available in the webstore (http://phdcoins.ca).

There are two XLE antique copper and two AE black nickel available for trades. I am seeking the following coins for these:

Dutch 2006 XLE antique copper

Dutch Microcoin 2006 black nickel

Halloween-event 2008

IRC Poffertjes Event 2006 SE copper

IRC Poffertjes Event 2008 antique gold

Sweet Lake City Event copper

10 Years of Geocaching Multi Event Geocoin 'Netherlands'

Psychochicken XLE black nickel (egg)

Saffier & Stekelsteef Diving Helmet shiny gold

Saffier & Stekelsteef Koi black nickel

Saffier & Stekelsteef Koi silver

Twin Peaks XLE black nickel

Twin Peaks XLE shiny gold

VGC 2006 MADpalace

VGC 2006 Team Myth

VGC 2006 Team Wolfje (except black nickel)

VGC 2008 Wandelaartjes gold

Klavertje 4 van Vlaardingen

Tracking European Wildlife - Red Deer SE antique copper

Any Gele Bussie

Any Tranquility

Delft Blau #4 Tulp ;)

I really wish I had something you wanted to trade for one of those AEs. My regular sets just came in the mail and the photos don't do them justice. They just can't capture how wonderful the coins are when you turn them in the light. Worth every penny!

I'm open to suggestions. :)

I think something is really really telling me that I shouldn't by one of the blue flowered RE's...I've tried three times and paypal keeps failing on me at different times.

E&C, can you see if I ever got an order through, of if technical difficulties nailed me on this one?

I really wish I had something you wanted to trade for one of those AEs. My regular sets just came in the mail and the photos don't do them justice. They just can't capture how wonderful the coins are when you turn them in the light. Worth every penny!

I'm open to suggestions. :)

Oh, well, heck, when I get home, I'll send you an email!

I think something is really really telling me that I shouldn't by one of the blue flowered RE's...I've tried three times and paypal keeps failing on me at different times.

E&C, can you see if I ever got an order through, of if technical difficulties nailed me on this one?

replied by email

Samples have been ordered. I'm hoping these will be available for sale on July 1st.

Here are the versions that will be offered. The finishes are the same as the first series.

PHD11702_art.jpg

RE Antique Nickel

PHD11703_art.jpg

RE Antique Bronze

PHD11704_art.jpg

LE Satin Gold

PHD11705_art.jpg

LE Satin Silver

PHD11701_art.jpg

XLE Antique Copper

PHD11706_art.jpg

AE Black Nickel

I like them. I'll take a set.

Am I having issues counting or are there six coins?

There were six in the last series too. Only 5 were sold, however. The black nickel is my AE version.

Right, I can count and read.

I really like your AE for summer, I"ll have to try and get one next round.

I'm hoping to get one of your AEs from the Spring set at some point.

There were six in the last series too. Only 5 were sold, however. The black nickel is my AE version.

You can send me your trade list. :)

I've also added one to the 7th International Mathtrade.

You can send me your trade list. :)

I've also added one to the 7th International Mathtrade.

Right now I don't have any good trades. :unsure:

But when I do I'll make an offer.

Do you have a list of coins that your looking for? Or what do you collect? So that I can try and find something you'd like.

I collect Dutch coins almost exclusively. But shiny things have been known to catch my eye from time to time. :)

My collection is linked in my signature and shows the coins I am still looking for.

Nice collection!

Right now my collection is small and a bit scattered- I hope to end up with a nice collection some day.

Here are the photos for the Summer edition!

PHD11702_art.jpg

Antique Nickel

PHD11703_art.jpg

Antique Bronze

PHD11704_art.jpg

LE Satin Gold

PHD11705_art.jpg

LE Satin Silver

PHD11701_art.jpg

XLE Antique Copper

PHD11706_art.jpg

AE Black Nickel

The Presale for these coins will start on July 4th and run until July 14th. As with the first coin in the series, these will retail for $12 Cdn each or $55 for a set of 5. The XLE Antique Copper will only be available in the set and will be limited to 25 sets.

More pics should be appearing on the website before the end of the week.

http://phdcoins.ca

These coins are simply magnificent! :wub: Great design and very well realized! I´m sure, Alphonse Mucha would have ordered some right away - and so did my girl and me. We are very much in love with art nouveau, especially Mucha and we have some paintings of him in our home (Of course PRINTS only... :laughing: ) but we recommend everybody who likes this kind of art and has a chance to visit the Golden City of Prague, to drop in the MUCHA museum, it´s really awesome to see his artwork in full size. Here are some of our favorites:

mucha-alphonse-art-deco-lady-9997470.jpgsarah_bernhardt_lefevreutile.jpgalphonse-mucha-night.jpg

We think, that with these coin series E&Cplus3 has done a superb job cachting the spirit of a long past but unforgetable area of art and lifestyle!! We can´t wait to see autumn and winter!

Kind regards, Udo + Melanie from germany

These coins are simply magnificent! :wub: Great design and very well realized! I´m sure, Alphonse Mucha would have ordered some right away - and so did my girl and me. We are very much in love with art nouveau, especially Mucha and we have some paintings of him in our home (Of course PRINTS only... :laughing: )

We think, that with these coin series E&Cplus3 has done a superb job cachting the spirit of a long past but unforgetable area of art and lifestyle!! We can´t wait to see autumn and winter!

Kind regards, Udo + Melanie from germany

Thank you so much! I have enjoyed designing this series immensely (Autumn is well underway now too). You may have noticed that the first coin was based on the pose of the woman in the first print you posted. And the third one may make an appearance as well.