Art nouveau seasonal coin series

ECplus3

I've been working on several coin designs in recent months that mimic the Art Nouveau style. I'm finally happy with a design and have decided that it will be a four coin series celebrating the seasons.

Art nouveau was an ornate, elaborate style of art that flourished around the turn of the 20th century. It was characterized by long, flowing lines that twisted in a snakelike fashion. Art made in this style often depicted flowers, leaves and tendrils, and the hair and curvaceous bodies of beautiful women. The art nouveau style was seen mainly in glassware, jewellery, and other ornamental objects. But the style was also seen in drawings, paintings, book illustrations, and posters. Art nouveau also heavily influenced architecture. The historic centre of Riga, Latvia has been named a UNESCO World Heritage site because of its Art Nouveau buildings.

One of the earliest and most recognized stars of the movement was Czech artist Alphonse Mucha. It is his style that I have tried to use in the design of these coins. I hope you like them.

First up: Spring

Diameter: 50mm (2")

Thickness: 4mm

Multiple metal layers under translucent enamel

Hard enamel and pearlescent enamel

Platings: TBD but antique for sure

First draft artwork is back from the mint.

PHD11500_art.jpg

Each coin in the series will have its own icon and will be trackable.

Edited by Eartha

I very much like this and can't wait to see the finished product. I've done a little background checking and that's your own art, right (you imply it, but don't state explicitly)? I know it would be tempting to just grab something from Mucha and trace it, but it doesn't look like you did that here, and you did capture Mucha's style beautifully. Well done!

Edited by Jackalgirl

I very much like this and can't wait to see the finished product. I've done a little background checking and that's your own art, right (you imply it, but don't state explicitly)? I know it would be tempting to just grab something from Mucha and trace it, but it doesn't look like you did that here, and you did capture Mucha's style beautifully. Well done!

While it is not freehand by any stretch of the imagination, it is also not copied from an existing work. My wife can attest to the hours I spent just googling 'woman standing', 'woman thoughtful', 'woman arm', etc (sometimes with shocking results) before finding the element I wanted, then tracing it in Illustrator and manipulating it to add to the whole. The hair and flowers were pretty easy, but I'm horrible at faces. The swirly bits were simple by comparison. :D

I think the thing that stands out most in a Mucha work is the expression on the woman's face, the surrealistic hair, and the thick outlining of the figure.

While it is not freehand by any stretch of the imagination, it is also not copied from an existing work. My wife can attest to the hours I spent just googling 'woman standing', 'woman thoughtful', 'woman arm', etc (sometimes with shocking results) before finding the element I wanted, then tracing it in Illustrator and manipulating it to add to the whole. The hair and flowers were pretty easy, but I'm horrible at faces. The swirly bits were simple by comparison. :D

I think the thing that stands out most in a Mucha work is the expression on the woman's face, the surrealistic hair, and the thick outlining of the figure.

Nothing but hours upon hours, stairing at beautiful women and their various parts...oh the humanity!

ILYK
Edited by drneal

If you'll excuse the phrase, I think you nailed it. : )

Here's an update on the design:

The latest art is back from the mint and a number of things have been corrected and/or improved.

PHD11500_art2.jpg

I changed the 3 daffodils into one large daffodil bloom for greater detail and added the second layer of design to all 5 medallions. Some tweaking here and there on the figure were made, but all in all I was very happy with the mint's quick work. This is the first time I have sent them a design in Illustrator format and I have to say it went much smoother than when they work form a .jpg. Go figure. :D

I still have to fine tune the colours, but that won't take long at all. In all likelyhood, the order for samples will be going in tonight.

Here's an update on the design:

The latest art is back from the mint and a number of things have been corrected and/or improved.

PHD11500_art2.jpg

I changed the 3 daffodils into one large daffodil bloom for greater detail and added the second layer of design to all 5 medallions. Some tweaking here and there on the figure were made, but all in all I was very happy with the mint's quick work. This is the first time I have sent them a design in Illustrator format and I have to say it went much smoother than when they work form a .jpg. Go figure. :D

I still have to fine tune the colours, but that won't take long at all. In all likelyhood, the order for samples will be going in tonight.

Nice, very nice! I expect that I will be ordering too many of these.

I heard from the mint this week and the samples will be shipped next Monday (28th). I should be able to post pics on the 1st or 2nd of April.

I've already started the artwork on 'Summer' too. Each season will have a unique icon, but I plan to use this thread for all the coins in the series.

I've already started the artwork on 'Summer' too. Each season will have a unique icon, but I plan to use this thread for all the coins in the series.

So this thread is going to be followed by me. The first looks great and is on my wish list. I'm eager to see the next versions.

The presale for the Art Nouveau Spring coins will begin tomorrow at noon Eastern time. The pre-sale period will last for 10 days at which time the order will be sent in to the mint.

The editions above will all be available in the following quantities:

Antique Bronze RE (unlimited)

Antique Nickel RE (unlimited)

Satin Gold LE (50)

Satin Silver LE (50)

In addition, there will be an XLE version only available in sets of 5 (at a reduced price).

Antique Copper XLE (25)

To have a closer look at the coins go to http://phdcoins.ca and click on the PRESALE link.

I'm not good at calculating the time. What will the startingtime of the presale be in the Netherlands? :unsure:

If you click on the link it seems to tell you. It told me what time it starts canadian as well as the amount in CDN dollars.

Thank you, I tried it and now I know for the next time :D

Do you have a big picture of the special version that comes in the set? I'm trying to decide if I want the set or not. :)

Here are the images with one change. The front will not have the dark translucent enamel around the woman. Instead it will be bare metal.

PHD11501_front.jpg

PHD11501_back.jpg