logging rules

Knowledge Books - Logging of all physical caches.

Also here: "Easy steps to geocaching...

1. Register for a free Basic Membership.

2. Click "Hide & Seek a Cache."

3. Enter your postal code and click "search."

4. Choose any geocache from the list and click on its name.

5. Enter the coordinates of the geocache into your GPS Device.

6. Use your GPS device to assist you in finding the hidden geocache.

7. Sign the logbook and return the geocache to its original location.

8. Share your geocaching stories and photos online.

MrsB

Ok read that - not sure why I missed that however an additional question then (as it did raise a point I had in mind)

it states

"Physical geocaches can be logged online as "Found" once the physical log has been signed. An exception is Challenge Caches, which may only be logged online after the challenge requirements have been met and documented to the cache owner's satisfaction."

Does that mean that with a 'challenge cache', if all the requirements of the challenge are met AND there is a physical cache at the end you can log the find online though you havent actually been to the cache itself and signed that log or do you have to sing the log in the actual cache before you can make the claim online - or are the challenge caches as referred to ones that dont have a physical cache but do set a challenge where a number of actions have to be met - like finding a cache every day for a complete month.

I have a bingo grid challenge cache based on difficulty/terrain lines, there is a cache container to find - once complete and the container found, log signed I request the caches found to complete the line are published in the log, and the find stands - if someone requested that they are not able to get to the cache because of distance but fulfil the challenge requirements, could they claim a find - do I have to allow it ??

Tim - ddm

I have a bingo grid challenge cache based on difficulty/terrain lines, there is a cache container to find - once complete and the container found, log signed I request the caches found to complete the line are published in the log, and the find stands - if someone requested that they are not able to get to the cache because of distance but fulfil the challenge requirements, could they claim a find - do I have to allow it ??

Tim - ddm

I believe all caches (apart from grandfathered virtuals and Earthcaches, but including challenge caches) have to have a physical container and logbook. So yes, they would have to find and sign the challenge cache in order to log it online...the fact that they might have some other tasks to perform beforehand is beside the point.

I have seen on challenge caches, where a finder qualifies for the cache, they post a note to say they have completed the challenge and will find the cache at a future date...

But some post it as a find at that stage and again when they have signed thus confusing the cache count.

Then it would be down to the cache owner to delete the duplicate Found log - although there's no guideline against logging a cache more than once (see YOSM for instance...)