cant find anything

J355I90

Might try a more local forum.

Here are some general hints:

Look for caches with a difficulty of 2 or less for your fist few caches. Stick with regular sized caches for your first few. Micros can be quite hard to find sometimes. Stick to areas you are familiar with. Look for anything out of place or unusual. Look for unusual piles of sticks, grass, leaves, rocks, sand, etc. Feel where you cannot look. Think vertical, not all caches are on the ground. Look up or at eye level. Look for traces of previous searches to zero in on the spot. Think like the hider - where would you put a container in this location? Look for things too new, too old, too perfect, not like the others, too many, too few. Change your perspective - a shift in lighting can sometimes reveal a cache. Keep in mind that many micros are magnetic or attached to something (via string, wire etc). Slowly expand your search area to about 40 feet from where your GPS says ground zero is. Bring garden gloves and a flashlight - they help! Be prepared to not find the cache more often then you think.

Most of all - have fun!!

A common recommendation for beginners is to stick with small small.gif size, regular regular.gif size, and large large.gif size caches. As StarBrand suggested, until you're more experienced, avoid micro micro.gif size caches, some of which are smaller than most beginners can imagine (sometimes called "nanos"). Save those for later, after you have some experience.

Also, stick with caches that have a difficulty rating of no more than 2 stars stars2.gif. Save the more difficult ones for later. You may also want to choose caches with easy terrain ratings. (The difficulty rating tells you how hard it is to find the cache once you get there. The terrain rating tells you how hard it is to get there.)

Under ideal conditions, a consumer GPSr will be accurate to about 3m (10'). That applies both to your GPSr, and to the GPSr of the cache owner, so you may find the container 15-20' from ground zero under ideal conditions. Under less than ideal conditions, both GPSr readings can be much less accurate.

It might help to look at some of the cache containers available online. For example, check out the cache containers sold by Groundspeak. Also, take a look at the Pictures - Cool Cache Containers (CCC's) thread in the forums.

Might try a more local forum.

How do I find local forums? Yes I've scrolled down the forum headings to the area listings but those are events listed like caches, not actual discussion forums like this one. I keep thinking I'll find it or a link somewhere and have yet to do so.

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showforum=50

Posting on one of the closest to you, may get a reply to where the locals are!

A lot of local forums exist, other than the Groundspeak forums.

Call me an idiot, but I can't figure out how to post there. Like I said those are all listed like caches, not discussion forums.

Don't feel silly, it *is* hard finding those other geocachers in your area. That is, until you know them. Once you've met up with them and they've become friends, you'll have to hide from them. (I'm teasing!)

Here is a link to the Groundspeak forums for your specific area: http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showforum=20 Feel free to start a new thread there and ask for NYC cachers. There's also a pinned thread that lists the individual groups. I clicked on New York State Geocachers and the link only took me to a page that says "It Works" so don't bother with that one :) The LIGO one you have to join to see anything. Here's a link to New York Capital Region Geocachers: http://www.geocachingny.org/ Here's a link to Metro NY Geocaching Society: http://metrogc.org/

You can browse that pinned thread and try the various links and see which group might be able to work best. But I'm going to offer an entirely different idea.

Find an event near you. The event calendar is about 2/3rds of the way down on the home screen at www.geocaching.com. There might not be one very close to you happening soon. You may have to travel an hour. But, you'll be surprised at how far people travel for geocaching events. (In my area, people travel 1-2 hours to attend events.) At the events, you'll meet other cachers and will probably be surprised to find that they don't live all that far from you. Even if they do live a bit of distance away, maybe you could meet somewhere in the middle and cache together. Generally, there are group caching excursions too and you'd have a better chance to find those out as you start attending events.

Some of my closest friends are those who I have met by attending events. Geocaching is how we've met but we've developed friendships that now exist outside of geocaching.

Good luck!

i want to start geocaching and tried out a view caches in downtown nyc, i dont know if i am dumb or blind but i couldnt find any of the caches.

You are neither dumb, nor blind, but caching in the concrete canyons of Manhattan is really hard. The signals from the satellites bounce off the buildings, which screws up the time that the signal reaches your receiver, which messes up the accuracy. On top of that, for a cache to survive in the city, it has to be very small and very well hidden. Even experienced cachers will find it challenging in those conditions.

So, in addition to the other good tips you've received in this thread, I would encourage you to start by looking for caches in Central Park and other open spaces. There are a few really good ones up near the Cloisters, too.

Call me an idiot, but I can't figure out how to post there. Like I said those are all listed like caches, not discussion forums.

Don't feel silly, it *is* hard finding those other geocachers in your area. That is, until you know them. Once you've met up with them and they've become friends, you'll have to hide from them. (I'm teasing!)

Here is a link to the Groundspeak forums for your specific area: http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showforum=20 Feel free to start a new thread there and ask for NYC cachers. There's also a pinned thread that lists the individual groups. I clicked on New York State Geocachers and the link only took me to a page that says "It Works" so don't bother with that one :) The LIGO one you have to join to see anything. Here's a link to New York Capital Region Geocachers: http://www.geocachingny.org/ Here's a link to Metro NY Geocaching Society: http://metrogc.org/

You can browse that pinned thread and try the various links and see which group might be able to work best. But I'm going to offer an entirely different idea.

Find an event near you. The event calendar is about 2/3rds of the way down on the home screen at www.geocaching.com. There might not be one very close to you happening soon. You may have to travel an hour. But, you'll be surprised at how far people travel for geocaching events. (In my area, people travel 1-2 hours to attend events.) At the events, you'll meet other cachers and will probably be surprised to find that they don't live all that far from you. Even if they do live a bit of distance away, maybe you could meet somewhere in the middle and cache together. Generally, there are group caching excursions too and you'd have a better chance to find those out as you start attending events.

Some of my closest friends are those who I have met by attending events. Geocaching is how we've met but we've developed friendships that now exist outside of geocaching.

Good luck!

Thank you! Unfortunately I'm no where near NYC (perhaps the OP is?) I found a site for a local group in my city- San Antonio, Texas- but it was last posted to nearly a year ago :( Texas is just too big for one board.