How often has this happened to you?

CanOpener

I'm not sure I'm following this correctly, but I'll give it a try.

Your link leads us to a "hint memoir" that you posted. According to your web site, a "hint memoir" (which I've never heard of before) "tells a story of 25 words or less that gives hints at a larger and more complex storyline."

Your hint memoir was: "He turned out to be a muggle after all."

So readers should try to expand this simple hint into a more complex storyline. And your question was: "How often has this happened to you?"

My storyline for your hint is that while out geocaching, I've encountered people who, based on their behavior, I assumed were geoaching too. But then it turned out they weren't.

So I'll say this has happened to me, but not all that often.

:unsure:

Sad to say this has happened lots of times and it's getting more fequent. I click links that look straight forward and find myself on a site that is totally incomprehensible to me. I sometimes wonder if I've fallen asleep and woken up in a new era. Perhaps age has something to do wdith it.

Cheers,

Dan

I was making an attempt at a FTF a few weeks ago, when another cacher showed up. We both eventually gave up. As I was walking towards my car, I saw a young lady walking towards the cache while staring at an electronic device in her hand. I held up my GPSr and shouted "You can still be the first to find it." She looked up, startled. Then she finished plugging her earphones into her iPod and went jogging down the street. Or maybe she wasn't jogging, just running away from me.

I was making an attempt at a FTF a few weeks ago, when another cacher showed up. We both eventually gave up. As I was walking towards my car, I saw a young lady walking towards the cache while staring at an electronic device in her hand. I held up my GPSr and shouted "You can still be the first to find it." She looked up, startled. Then she finished plugging her earphones into her iPod and went jogging down the street. Or maybe she wasn't jogging, just running away from me.

I have a photo of an elederly woman with a cane and small portable AM radio rushing home to call the cops on me after a similar incident. :lol:

I saw a person standing within ten feet of a cache with a Garmin 60csx in her hands. I asumed she was caching but before I could say anything it became apparent that she and a friend were simply trying to figure out if a trail took them in the general direction of their car. With many cachers now using smartphones, perhaps it is the look within a person's eye rather than the gadget that makes one recognizeable.

Edited by mulvaney

This sounds like a version of a new social phenomenon that I call "teasing". I see it all the time on Facebook. Someone makes a post consisting of minimal information (such as a post with merely "Arrggghhh!"), and then waits for everyone to beg them to fill in the details. It's an attention-getting game that some people like to play, but I don't care for it. It can turn out quite embarrassing, such as when someone makes a post like that and nobody responds. I guess nobody cares? Or maybe they've played that card once too often and everyone else is tired of it.

A situation where I thought they were muggles but they weren't.

It was a bushwacking situation in the woods in a large park.

There was a couple standing by the spot where I needed to go off trail. The woman was talking on the phone.

Next thing I turned around and the guy was gone.

I'm thinking, "oh great, he's gone in the woods to pee. I hope he's not going where I'm going." It's getting dark fast, I don't have time to wait, so I head in.

Soon I hear a voice from ahead of me, "Are you geocaching?" I answered affirmatively. He said, "I thought you must be. Only a crazy person or a geocacher would be out here in the dark." I said, "Only crazy geocachers would be out here."

The rest of my log:

We made it quickly to GZ because of losing light. We rallied around the area until we found it. By then it was pitch dark. Now we had to find our way back to the trail. We were retracing our steps, when he said from behind me (as I stopped) "Uh...." sounding lost. I said, "That's exactly what was going through my mind." We called to his friend who had been stragetically placed so he could find his way out. She called to us until we found out way out. So glad I met up with these people or I might still be wandering through those woods right now

He turned out to be a muggle after all.

As far as I know, when I think someone is a muggle, they are one. Could be wrong, but I never attempt to find out for sure.

There was a time when a cacher walked up to me during my search.

Another time, I thought someone might be a cacher, and I was right.

Most of the time, you can guess if someone is looking for a geocache or not.