Garmin GPSmap 60CSx - Installing Multiple Maps

groovinfox

Hello,

I recently purchased a 60CSx and decided to buy new maps. Through my research I decided to buy 'TOPO U.S. 24K - Northwest' and 'City Navigator® North America NT'. From what information I could find it appears you can have multiple maps installed but I'm not sure how to do it. I purchased them from the Garmin website with the download option. After you install the first map and go to install the second it tells you the file already exists and it must be overwritten?

How do I add both maps?

Thank you!

I don't think you can have multiple maps, but I may be wrong. I have the City navigator US maps and European maps. If I go to Europe I need to uninstall the US maps and install the Europe ones, which takes hours. As for topo and street, I'm not sure but I'd suspect it would be the same. It would be nice if there could be multiple maps.

You have to install them at the same time. You do this by selecting the tiles (area's) of one map and then switch over to the other and select. After you gave selected them you then send them to the GPS. nite though that you can only view one map kind at a time on the GPS.

Just to clarify, if it is a street map and a topo map, both can be installed at the same time, but if they are both street, then they can't? Do I have that correct?

As previously said, just open the maps you want in Mapsource and highlight the selected areas on each individual map (TOPO, City Navigator, etc). Keep an eye on the lower left corner of the screen as that will tell you the current size of the map and number of tiles selected. 2025 tiles is the limit for a single map and, I believe, 4gb is the max size. It used to be 4gb. Send the whole shebang to the 60CSx (it will take a LONG time) and then go to the map page on the unit when it finishes loading. You can select what layers of the map you want to see by hitting "menu" and selecting "map setup". Hit "menu" again and you'll see selections for toggling "show" or "hide" for each layer of the map.

Hello,

I recently purchased a 60CSx and decided to buy new maps. Through my research I decided to buy 'TOPO U.S. 24K - Northwest' and 'City Navigator® North America NT'. From what information I could find it appears you can have multiple maps installed but I'm not sure how to do it. I purchased them from the Garmin website with the download option. After you install the first map and go to install the second it tells you the file already exists and it must be overwritten?

How do I add both maps?

Thank you!

By purchasing the DVD versions from their website, not the downloads. With the downloads, you are going to need two datacards for that GPS.

Here is a turtorial on how to load them on your GPS:

http://www.gpsfiledepot.com/tutorials/how-to-load-maps-on-my-garmin-gps-unit/

You cannot see the topo and City navigator at the same time. CN covers up the topo maps. So to see the topo map, you have to disable CN. If you have CN enabled and the topo or just CN, you see CN. Here is a turtorial on how to enable and diaable the maps on your GPS:

http://www.gpsfiledepot.com/tutorials/how-to-change-which-map-is-displayed-on-a-garmin-gps/

Hello,

How do I add both maps?

Thank you!

By purchasing the DVD versions from their website, not the downloads. With the downloads, you are going to need two datacards for that GPS.

I beleive you are mistaken-why would they need to buy the DVD version? After you download them, the instalers will install them into MapSource (BaseCamp), combine them in mapsource and send to a single card. The only reason I can think of to buy a DVD from Garmin's website is if you don't have a highspeed connection. E

Agh! That's my problem (well as far as GPSr's are concerned)! One map set is on DVD and e other one download. Thanks!

Did not both the DVD and download install the mapsets into mapsource? Both maps are in MapSource, Right? I've have had a download give a chocice of installing the map to Mapsource or the GPS, if you are faced with that, install the map in Mapsource. The link to the tutorial I gave shows how to combine both maps and send it to your GPS.

Well this is strange as I have downloaded CN from Garmin and it installed in MapSource. I have the updates too and whenever I get the update, it installs in MapSource. I have also helped someone else purchase CN on line and install it into MapSource. But you are right, that says you cannot do what I have done. One would think Garmin would make more money by letting you download an installer for MapSource than making a DVD. I would be interested in hearing others experence with this.

Doesn't the Garmin 24K Topo INCLUDE all of the streets?

You should be able to install all of that one plus the City Navigator NT tiles from the areas not covered by the topo maps.

On my 60Csx I had all of the CN plus 1:24k GPSFileDepot topos of California and 1:100k for most of the Southwest all on my card.

Definitely use a card reader/writer, it's significantly faster than writing to the card while in the unit.

As previously said, just open the maps you want in Mapsource and highlight the selected areas on each individual map (TOPO, City Navigator, etc). Keep an eye on the lower left corner of the screen as that will tell you the current size of the map and number of tiles selected. 2025 tiles is the limit for a single map and, I believe, 4gb is the max size. It used to be 4gb. Send the whole shebang to the 60CSx (it will take a LONG time) and then go to the map page on the unit when it finishes loading. You can select what layers of the map you want to see by hitting "menu" and selecting "map setup". Hit "menu" again and you'll see selections for toggling "show" or "hide" for each layer of the map.

Thank you all for your help. Since I'm new to MapSource as well let me see if my plan matches up with your advice ...

Download one map at a time from the Garmin site. Once downloaded, 'transfer > receive from device' from MapSource which should technically copy the map file to my hard drive. Then I can select the tiles for each map that I actually want and can transfer it back to the 60CSx?

Questions: When you transfer to MapSource is it 'cutting' the map from the GPS or 'copying' it? The reason I ask is, if it's just copying it and I create this new map wouldn't technically mean I would have 3 maps on the GPS when I'm done? I have a 4gb micro SD card installed and both maps are over 1.5 gb leaving a limited amount of space for a 3rd map.

Thank you again!

When you "cut" map areas, it's copying them from the maps loaded on your computer via Mapsource and transferring it to the unit.

When you load a new map onto the 60CSx, it overwrites the old one, so you aren't cluttering things up with old maps. The file name it creates is always gmapsupp.img and it overwrites the current gmapsupp.img file. You can see this in the Garmin folder when it's hooked up via USB and you open it like any other external drive. That said, I have several maps on an 8gig card and I rename them to something identifiable. When I want that map, I change the name to gmapsupp.img and that will be the active map the next time it restarts. When I want another map, I rename it back to something else and name the new one gmapsupp.img. The thing that sucks is you need a computer to do this, but renaming a file only takes seconds. It takes FOREVER to build and transfer a map set to the 60CSx. The way I do it, you only have to do it once. :anibad:

Edited by sviking

Thank you all for your help. Since I'm new to MapSource as well let me see if my plan matches up with your advice ...

Download one map at a time from the Garmin site. Once downloaded, 'transfer > receive from device' from MapSource which should technically copy the map file to my hard drive. Then I can select the tiles for each map that I actually want and can transfer it back to the 60CSx?

Questions: When you transfer to MapSource is it 'cutting' the map from the GPS or 'copying' it? The reason I ask is, if it's just copying it and I create this new map wouldn't technically mean I would have 3 maps on the GPS when I'm done? I have a 4gb micro SD card installed and both maps are over 1.5 gb leaving a limited amount of space for a 3rd map.

Thank you again!

Sounds like you did not read the tutrials I gave you a link for in post 11. If you take a few minutes to read those turtorials you likely will have your questions answered.

Since I'm new to MapSource as well let me see if my plan matches up with your advice ...

You can not transfer maps from your datacard to MapSource.