Web Services

9Key

Hey there

I've searched the forums and haven't seen this topic come up yet.

Since parts of geocaching.com seem to be coded in .Net, I wonder if it would be feasible to expose the cache database as a web service.

An XML programmer can do some really keen stuff by querying the service, like mapping your finds, hides, etc. Or maybe a shopping cart of caches you'd like to try someday.

Traffic and DB load can be managed and metered with a service. Heavy users of the service could pay by hit or by month, maybe.

Just an item for the wish list. icon_smile.gif

texasgeocaching_sm.gif

Yes you would think that could happen.

That is the whole idea and a big reason to move to .NET. It would be so very simple to do. And would do away with all the requests for features because a person could just do it themselves. The possibilities are endless with what could be done with it. And once it is done all of those things could come from people in the user community, they could make the site work how it would best work for them. And the geocaching.com people would really never have to be bothered with trying to keep up with requests. Man that makes so much sense and would be so helpful to the whole community.

Don't hold your breath.

GrizzlyJohn: Moderated: -1 (Troll)

9Key: Jeremy plans on doing some web services for subscribers once the .Net-coded site is complete. A while back I was discussing some XML/XSD/etc stuff with him, and he indicated that he intended to do something that sounds reasonably similar to some of what you've suggested. You can be reasonably sure that although it will likely be released a bit later than we'd like, web services are on the agenda.

(I've personally suggested a couple brainstorm-quality ideas that would be very handy for apps like Watcher. It would be very useful, for example, to have a service you could query to find out whether caches in your merged GPX file that are missing from later PQs have been disabled or archived; there's no way to know right now.)

[[[ ClayJar Networks ]]]

Home of Watcher downloads, Official Geocaching Chat, and the Geocache Rating System

Yep, I'm eager for that, too. I'm waiting patiently, it is probably a low priority and only provides value to those who know how to use it. If you think about it, it may cause more potential questions from those who aspire to use web services and don't know how. So its a tough call. I am converting our Great Plains Geocaching site to .NET and am trying to prepare myself for all the questions that it will generate from members. I don't get paid for this work and frankly don't have enough time to handle all the questions that might arise. All I can do is hope that there are enough other experienced .NET people to help.

I can't presume to know for sure whats happening in the background of gc.com, but I feel for them while I, too, would like to use web services (and am willing to pay for it).

SpinWebby

www.gpgeocaching.com

37_gp_logo88x31.jpg

quote:
Originally posted by ClayJar:

GrizzlyJohn: Moderated: -1 (Troll)

What is that supposed to mean?

That last I hear anything about any of this is months ago. Then I saw some post from Jeremy saying something to the effect that they are too small to really have any deadlines or schedules. I am not sure what that means.

I just find it amazing how slow the pace is in getting any kind of meaningful changes put in place.

I think there are many improvements that can be made. All based on suggestions from the user community. It is what the people want. Most of those are met with silence from TPTB or "I'm working on it".

Will it get done? Is it being worked on? Maybe. Probably. But again don't expect anything anytime soon.

Sorry if some people can't take having their buds god-like authority questioned. But a troll? Give me a break. You know better than that.

"He who dares no offend cannot be honest." --Thomas Paine

quote:
Originally posted by 9Key:

I like Watcher and all, but I'd like to develop web based apps that I can access from any PC, mobile phone, Palm, etc.

Yes, indeed. Those would be very cool and fill some rather vacant niches. Although I'm not in a position to really say, it seems that the person *using* the web service would be the one who would have to be a subscriber; I'm not quite sure how that would be implemented, but it would mean that just because a lot of subscribers use your whatever, it still wouldn't all be on you.

[[[ ClayJar Networks ]]]

Home of Watcher downloads, Official Geocaching Chat, and the Geocache Rating System

According to the Jargon File, to troll is "To utter a posting... designed to attract stupid responses or flames." With the sheer number of people already a bit too testy regarding what Jeremy and crew get done when and how, your message was quite a well-formed troll.

Now, as for "Sorry if some people can't take having their buds god-like authority questioned. But a troll? Give me a break. You know better than that." That's just flamebait ("A posting... that invites flames in reply.").

I quite understand that Jeremy, et al, can be far too slow for comfort (hey, look at some of my plaintive requests for a reply), but let's not even start going toward another thread of acerbic, sarcastic posts. I don't believe you're one of those people who intend to be rude, but in cases of frustratingly long waits and other unpleasantries, it's even more important for those of us who can to be a little more giving (and taking), even if we don't really enjoy it.

[[[ ClayJar Networks ]]]

quote:
Originally posted by ClayJar:

According to the Jargon File, to troll is "To utter a posting... designed to attract stupid responses or flames." ...

I snipped your reply not to take what you said out of context just to save space.

I had no intention of attracting stupid responses. Ok flames, perhaps, but really that can come from almost any type of message. And I am willing to accept that.

I am sorry if you took it as flamebait. We have talked in the past both in forums and via email. I just felt that coming from me you knew I was not trolling. I applogize for not having the same understanding of trolling as you. That was a misunderstanding on my part. My understanding of a troll is very close to yours but I add that the troll's only reason to exist is to attract those types of responses. Again sorry for the misunderstanding.

I have in fact followed your many requests for an answer, any answer. From my point of view what helps you will also help me. I have always chimed in when there was a chance to give another voice to the nudging that sometimes seems necessary. I guess if I had to see posts from people that were frustrated, angry, insert your own word here, I would either try very hard to get it done and get them off my back or explain what the problem is. Maybe they are just not bothered by all of it.

I'll be honest, doing these kinds of things is something I really understand, it is what I do for a living. If the task to upgrade is too great I (and I am sure others here) would be more than willing to help out with coding some of this stuff. But yes it is frustrating to have to wait the long waits and really get no sort of feedback or update on what, where, when ... I know if I took this long to get upgrades done I would not last long at my job (he says as he is sitting at work writing this). I have gone through upgrading to .NET and I know it takes longer than you first expect. That is all OK if you keep everyone informed. But a community has been created here, and I am not sure if anybody really feels like they have any input. Sure, some things are addressed but there are some fairly big issues that just keep getting turned over and over and not getting resolved.

I view my statements as a kick in the backside, maybe they would trigger some kind of response, hopefully from TPTB. If you think I am out of line in wanting more and more frequent feedback, just say so. We will have to agree to disagree and that is OK. I think you would agree that many of us are frustrated. Is there something positive you think we can be doing to move these things forward? I am willing to help where I can. I hate to see an us versus them type of thing but I am not sure what else is left.

Again, I certainly had no intention to be rude to you. I think you are one of the backbones of this community. The work you have done is outstanding.

Well, anyway - back to the topic at hand.

In the meantime while we're waiting on web services we can use the gpx / xml files from Pocket Queries to build web apps.

Does anyone have a kewl app up and running that they would like to share?

I have one but a bug was crawled in and made a nest. I'll post it once its fixed.

texasgeocaching_sm.gif

quote:
Originally posted by 9Key:

In the meantime while we're waiting on web services we can use the gpx / xml files from Pocket Queries to build web apps.

Does anyone have a kewl app up and running that they would like to share?

I don't know what you are planning or have in mind about using the files from the PQs. But I would just say you may want to look over the TOS in using them. I understand it to mean that you can't share the files or information. I may be wrong about that, and if I am please correct me, but you may want to take a look at it just in case.