What not to use as a 'Travel Bug'

Jabberwokie_UK

I have looked round the site and forums for any information reference what can and cannot be used as a trackable item either I am just missing it by not lookin in the right places or its just anything can be used.

Is there any items that should not be turned into a trackable item by attaching a 'Travel bug'.

For instance i have a couple of large black anodised Practice bullet rounds that I could stick a travel bug decal on. Would this be considered a 'NO NO'? And if so what else would be recommended not to use?

The only written guidance I've found on this matter is about two thirds down this page:

TB FAQs

What should never be attached to a Travel Bug?

Because Travel Bugs are created to travel to many geocaches, the guidelines for Geocache Contents do apply to Travel Bugs. Geocaching is a family activity and cache contents should be suitable for all ages. Explosives, fireworks, ammunition, lighters, knives (including pocket knives and multi-tools), drugs, alcohol or other illicit material shouldn't be placed in a cache, whether attached to a Travel Bug tag or otherwise. Food items are always a bad idea.

MrsB :)

Too, one should keep in mind that any item used as a traveler should not be something that could be mistakenly interpreted as being something dangerous. Somewhere, sometime, somehow there will be the inevitable showdown of the Travel Bug being deemed as inappropriate and confiscated/destroyed/thrown away. End result, another bug lost forever.

While most of us know that inert cartridges are not dangerous there are many that do not. The authorities, looking through the camera of a bomb disposal robot may or may not so discover that... but then, it's too late, anyway!

Cheers for the advice guy's. I have searched through the other current travel bugs with 'Bullet' as the search criteria. I have found one that is very similar to what I had in mind "A Bullet With Your Name On It" looks approximately the same size as what I have the only difference being that it mine is completely black.

I will wait a while and see if I get any more advice before deciding on using it. I will also contact the owner of "A Bullet With Your Name On It" and see if they have had any problems with theirs.

Once again thanks for the advice.

Cheers for the advice guy's. I have searched through the other current travel bugs with 'Bullet' as the search criteria. I have found one that is very similar to what I had in mind "A Bullet With Your Name On It" looks approximately the same size as what I have the only difference being that it mine is completely black.

I will wait a while and see if I get any more advice before deciding on using it. I will also contact the owner of "A Bullet With Your Name On It" and see if they have had any problems with theirs.

Once again thanks for the advice.

Sorry... Tried... Can't resist...

MrsB

As far as using ammunition for a Travel Bug, be aware of state laws. For one,

in Massachusetts, it is illegal to carry ammunition without a current firearms identification card. It is illegal to carry ammunition in Massachusetts even when the bullets are not accompanied by a gun.

A conviction on the charge of carrying ammunition without an FID card carries a possible sentence of two years in prison.

There may be other states with such laws, but that is what I found in a quick search.

Think about the situations you are putting your fellow cacher in whenever you hide a cache, or send out a traveler.

don't send stuffed animals....one wet cache will do it in......of course, I read that AFTER I sent Peach out.....sigh....maybe someday I will catch up to her and make things right.

If you like you could ask the next finder to mail it back to you (or maybe just the tag and toss the animal) and then send it out anew. You could even send it back to that last finder.

don't send stuffed animals....one wet cache will do it in......of course, I read that AFTER I sent Peach out.....sigh....maybe someday I will catch up to her and make things right.

If you like you could ask the next finder to mail it back to you (or maybe just the tag and toss the animal) and then send it out anew. You could even send it back to that last finder.

After reading your suggestion I posted a note on the TB's page asking the next person to contact me.

Edited by Little Miss Muffet

Since we're on the subject, can I send the TB dogtag out by itself without attaching it to anything (well maybe a laminated note)? I can't find anything really good and meaningful to me to attach it to, that is small enough to fit in most caches.

Edited by RainbowKat

Since we're on the subject, can I send the TB dogtag out by itself without attaching it to anything (well maybe a laminated note)? I can't find anything really good and meaninfgul to me to attach it to, that is small enough to fit in most caches.

Snoogans' TB longevity strategy #3 Size matters! (If they say it doesn't they're lying.) Do I really need to go into detail here?

OK. Big bug = slow mover, teeny tiny bug w/improvised tag = lost, if you can close your hand around it = just about perfect.