Fast-Paced Route 66 Series Video

gsmX2

Eight Ojai Valley Cachers gathered to do the 800 caches on the Route 66 Series. Here's a video of the adventure.

Explaining the BLOOPER. We got ahead of the other car, so placed a dozen Suspicious Piles of Rocks (SPORs) by a cache expecting it would take them a long time to find it. I hid in a gully to video tape their effort. When they found the cache so fast, I had to run to get their attention before they drove away. You can figure out the rest.

http://www.youtube.com/user/scottinojaivideos?feature=mhum#p/u/7/3eUiFAVZn_0

Kewl! It appears that some of these weren't right next to the road. I see that as a good thing. At least, for a few minutes, you get to experience some nature. Finding film cans at the bases of 800 signs would get really old, for me, after the second or third one. There's some really lovely scenery along that route. How long did it take you guys to do the whole run? Were any of the caches ammo cans? I think, with the right group, that could be fun. Just don't tell Toz I said so.

The people are what made this fun. They were almost all film containers, but mostly off the road a bit under some rocks. Including some stops, it took us just over eight hours to do them all. We were exhausted by the end and enjoyed a nice meal and a good night's sleep in Needles.

Did I actually see 2 vehicles leapfrogging? :unsure:

You sure did. How else do you think they did that in 8 hours. Plus I saw the container swap method in the video as well. Thats power caching at its best.

Now don't blame me if this thread goes downhill, I would have never noticed either practice there, but apparently they both occured. :D I know some very numbers oriented cachers going out there in a couple months, and they have absolutely no intention using either the leapfrogging method, and the container swap method. How many people are actually doing this stuff?

You sure did. How else do you think they did that in 8 hours. Plus I saw the container swap method in the video as well. Thats power caching at its best.

Now don't blame me if this thread goes downhill, I would have never noticed either practice there, but apparently they both occured. :D I know some very numbers oriented cachers going out there in a couple months, and they have absolutely no intention using either the leapfrogging method, and the container swap method. How many people are actually doing this stuff?

I'd say most people are doing the swap method. We left off on 600 and went back out and found our names already on the logs up to 700. It seems common practice for power trails that are set up like this to swap and leap frog. That's how you cut down on time. <_<

Yes, they both occurred as a conscious decision and strategy by the group involved.

Having a discussion on whether you agree or disagree with the strategy is warranted----on a different thread.

The intent of this thread is to show a Fast-Paced Route 66 Series Video, which I think is a cut above many of the geocaching videos on YouTube...but certainly not the high quality of

Yes, they both occurred as a conscious decision and strategy by the group involved.

Having a discussion on whether you agree or disagree with the strategy is warranted----on a different thread.

The intent of this thread is to show a Fast-Paced Route 66 Series Video, which I think is a cut above many of the geocaching videos on YouTube...but certainly not the high quality of

OK, good enough. My question was answered by the dirtydogs. :)

I'd say most people are doing the swap method. We left off on 600 and went back out and found our names already on the logs up to 700. It seems common practice for power trails that are set up like this to swap and leap frog. That's how you cut down on time. <_<

That's how you cut down on the number of caches YOU actually find.:anibad:

That's how you cut down on the number of caches YOU actually find.:anibad:

Totally agree on that one. So they actually found 400 in 8 hours. That sounds more like it. :lol:

I started caching a little over a year ago, and have just resumed playing after a 7 month or so absence. I have noted a LOT of changes in that short time.

So I have a couple questions, to help me understand what is now "accepted".

So if you are part of a "team" you can individually log caches you did not look for, did not actually find, and had someone else sign your name to??

How is this any different than "armchair caching"??

If I get a group together and form a team, then we could all sign each others names and claim finds???

Wow... I could collect every state souvenir without ever leaving Okla.

Concerning the "trading" of caches, is it ok to move someone elses cache to a new location?? I guess I just don't get it.:blink:

"The times, they are a changing."

I might also humbly point out that this is a Geocaching Forum. A place where people gather to talk about geocaching or geocaching related subjects. To expect to start a thread here, and then attempt to dictate what type response you get is kinda unrealistic. Maybe YouTube is where this should have stayed if that is the goal. I'm just sayin'.:unsure:

Ohhh, I have so many opinions on this power caching thing and people claiming "world caching records" when they didn't actually sign caches or replaced missing caches to claim a smiley, etc. Which you guys aren't doing, mind you.

Still, all in all, I really enjoyed the video. Anytime you go out with friends and do something like this, it's a blast. Kudos to the crew. Eventually, I know that my friends and I will hit a power trail just to have the experience of what it's like.

My only quibble? I really really like the Cars versions of the songs. ;)

I seen the leapfrogging but I did not see any container swapping. Maybe you seen the extented clip? ;)

I seen the leapfrogging but I did not see any container swapping. Maybe you seen the extented clip? ;)

Maybe you should watch it again. Check out the :45-:56 part and he clearly puts a cache down and walks away with one in hand. :blink: Kinda like a magic trick. ;) Fooled you. :laughing:

Maybe you should watch it again. Check out the :45-:56 part and he clearly puts a cache down and walks away with one in hand. :blink: Kinda like a magic trick. ;) Fooled you. :laughing:

Even pausing it I did not see a cache swap going on. Must be a pretty good trick. :lol:

Even pausing it I did not see a cache swap going on. Must be a pretty good trick. :lol:

Sure is, they tricked you. :laughing:

]I was with GSMX2 on both the ET series and the Route 66 power trails. We had about 10 in one group and 8 in the other. Bottom line, we had an EXPERIENCE, BOTH TIMES. Fellowship, friendship, laughs, (videos???), and we bagged over 2000 on the combined runs. Did this increase our numbers, you bet. Our geosense, not a bit. Rules. We didn't break any. We had fun That is why I cache. The numbers are a small fractional part of the sport/hobby/whatever this is. No fun, then I'll go skydiving or rock climbing. I have to tell you, we found probably over 20 different styles of logs in the ET series, all different, some were 1 page, some up to 6; mostly in film cans. Stamps, stickers, a few logs (multipage) that someone had painsakingly (SP?) taken the trouble to rewrite, very few were alike and I bet less than 10% were "original" logs. No one cared. We leapfrogged and replaced lost containers, and switched containers as we moved. It was an experience, a fun trip. Please don't try to make something more out of it or try to convince someone we wern't doing it RIGHT. This isn't broken, so please don't try to fix it. If you want to personally log each and every cache, go for it. I usually cache with a buddy and we sign each other's names, hope that meets your criteria. Meets mine because we enjoy it.

This is video of myself, wimseyguy, nittany dave and Maingray finding 3 caches along Route 66. This is unedited, straight from the camera to give you a better feel of the trail. Put the video in a loop and watch it 277 times and it would be just like doing the trail yourself. Of course you'd also have to include a few games of Chinese Fire Drill and add a bunch of crude jokes and quotes taken out of context to get the true feel for the camaraderie and fun that we had. We stamped every logsheet in place and did not swap containers. We ran across a few missing or broken containers at which we had to run back to the car to grab a new container. Should have kept one in our pocket. It took us 15.5 hours to find the 800 caches of the actual trail, plus the 32 additional caches at the beginning and end. On average, that's a cache every 67 seconds, but we took a half hour break for lunch and stopped for gas, so the actual find rate is higher. Edited by Lil Devil

That's a very accurate depiction of what it's like to do the trail, including some jokes, laughter and camaraderie.

I am under the assumption that you probably spent the night somewhere, had dinner and did some caching either on the way to the cache or on the way home. All in all, a very nice way to spend a weekend.

Thanks for sharing.

That's a very accurate depiction of what it's like to do the trail, including some jokes, laughter and camaraderie.

I am under the assumption that you probably spent the night somewhere, had dinner and did some caching either on the way to the cache or on the way home. All in all, a very nice way to spend a weekend.

Thanks for sharing.

Yes, I think I was in the bath by 1am that night. That red dust took forever to get off...

Kewl! It appears that some of these weren't right next to the road. I see that as a good thing. At least, for a few minutes, you get to experience some nature. Finding film cans at the bases of 800 signs would get really old, for me, after the second or third one. There's some really lovely scenery along that route. How long did it take you guys to do the whole run? Were any of the caches ammo cans? I think, with the right group, that could be fun. Just don't tell Toz I said so.

I heard that Riff.

Your secret is safe with me, lips are sealed.

I know Power Trails are a new concept to Caching, I have been caching since 2002, longer than most (I see a few on here that joined in 2001). So I guess PTs have a different set of rules, which is fine, if most agree with them. I know that if someone removed a cache I placed and replaced it with a different cache, I would be fuming. The last cache I placed I spent 10 hours building. I currently have one on my patio that has 5 hours in it's creation and it is not done yet. The one cache that took 10 hours to build, the first 10 finders gave it a "favorite" point, which is my goal when I hide caches.

For any of your PTers, you KNOW, and you KNOW that you KNOW, it is about the NUMBERS. If it were about commaraderie, friendship, laughs and good times, you can get that at a Sports Bar, on a Picnic, Camping, Bowling, Golfing, etc.... If it weren't about the numbers, you wouldn't be leapfrogging cars and exchanging caches. LET ME say this, I see NOTHING WRONG with any of this, I just have a problem with people saying "It is not about the numbers" when it IS purely about the numbers. MajorJarhead states "We bagged over 2000 on the combined runs" and then "The numbers are a small fracional part of the sport" If it was a "small fractional part", then why did you post it ahead of "fun" and "cammaraderie?" Again, NOTHING wrong with it, no rules broken, no one hurt, everyone had fun. BUT, it IS about the numbers. GO FOR THE NUMBERS, if that is your FUN, then knock yourself out.

I believe the Ventura Kids (I think that is their name) have the record at over 1,100 found in one day. My question is, who has the one day record, SOLO, without exchanging caches, and personally signing and dating each log? How many could YOU DO if you had to start and stop your car, get out, find the cache, sign the log, replace the cache, and move to the next one? I think after about 200, I would be DOG TIRED!

My solo record is 255 finds in 16 hours on the now-deceased Trail of the Gods. No swapping, and signing each log. No stamping. It was cold and windy as heck so I had to spend extra time at each cache positioning the car so the driver door was on the leeward side, otherwise I couldn't open it. If not for that, I probably would have reached 300.

For any of your PTers, you KNOW, and you KNOW that you KNOW, it is about the NUMBERS. If it were about commaraderie, friendship, laughs and good times, you can get that at a Sports Bar, on a Picnic, Camping, Bowling, Golfing, etc....

In general, I agree with you but the argument might be more convincing if the camaraderie, friendship, laughs and good times was kept in the context of geocaching. It seems to me if a group of people spend 24 hours geocaching together, finding fewer caches would mean actually spending more time together instead of one ore two people running off into the desert every 45 seconds. I mostly cache by myself but I have gone on outings for a few hours with a group, experienced the camaraderie, friendship, and good times, and managed to do that finding only 9 caches.

Another frequent poster here has organized at least a couple multi-day trips with a group of cachers, but the focus was clearly not "let's see how many caches we can find in a day" (and I get why that might be a fun exercise). I don't recall what the total find count was on those journeys but I'm pretty sure it was less than three digits and it sounded like it would have been a great time.

I believe the Ventura Kids (I think that is their name) have the record at over 1,100 found in one day. My question is, who has the one day record, SOLO, without exchanging caches, and personally signing and dating each log? How many could YOU DO if you had to start and stop your car, get out, find the cache, sign the log, replace the cache, and move to the next one? I think after about 200, I would be DOG TIRED!

I haven't read the ET trail logs in quite a while but I remember reading of one guy that did the trail by himself (I believe on a motorcycle) that posted a total find count in the 700-800 range.

For any of your PTers, you KNOW, and you KNOW that you KNOW, it is about the NUMBERS. If it were about commaraderie, friendship, laughs and good times, you can get that at a Sports Bar, on a Picnic, Camping, Bowling, Golfing, etc....

Just for the sake of argument:

For any of your SBers, you KNOW, and you KNOW that you KNOW, it is about the SPORTS. If it were about commaraderie, friendship, laughs and good times, you can get that hitting a Power Trail, on a Picnic, Camping, Bowling, Golfing, etc....

I know Power Trails are a new concept to Caching, I have been caching since 2002, longer than most (I see a few on here that joined in 2001). So I guess PTs have a different set of rules, which is fine, if most agree with them. I know that if someone removed a cache I placed and replaced it with a different cache, I would be fuming. The last cache I placed I spent 10 hours building. I currently have one on my patio that has 5 hours in it's creation and it is not done yet. The one cache that took 10 hours to build, the first 10 finders gave it a "favorite" point, which is my goal when I hide caches.

For any of your PTers, you KNOW, and you KNOW that you KNOW, it is about the NUMBERS. If it were about commaraderie, friendship, laughs and good times, you can get that at a Sports Bar, on a Picnic, Camping, Bowling, Golfing, etc.... If it weren't about the numbers, you wouldn't be leapfrogging cars and exchanging caches. LET ME say this, I see NOTHING WRONG with any of this, I just have a problem with people saying "It is not about the numbers" when it IS purely about the numbers. MajorJarhead states "We bagged over 2000 on the combined runs" and then "The numbers are a small fracional part of the sport" If it was a "small fractional part", then why did you post it ahead of "fun" and "cammaraderie?" Again, NOTHING wrong with it, no rules broken, no one hurt, everyone had fun. BUT, it IS about the numbers. GO FOR THE NUMBERS, if that is your FUN, then knock yourself out.

Believe me, you've been caching longer than most. With a member number of 71,560, you've been caching longer than approximately 98.7% of registered accounts. Even I'm in the 95th percentile. :laughing:

Oh gosh, I'm not a PT guy at all, I think it's silly, and wouldn't do it. But I'll stick up for them a little as far as the commaraderie, friendship and laughs. A bunch of Geo-pals driving around in a car all day? I'd say it meets the definition, the same as it would for me going out with some Geo-pals for 8 hours, hiking 5+ miles, and finding 15 caches. Which I haven't actually done in a couple years, I should get on that.

For any of your SBers, you KNOW, and you KNOW that you KNOW, it is about the SPORTS. If it were about commaraderie, friendship, laughs and good times, you can get that hitting a Power Trail, on a Picnic, Camping, Bowling, Golfing, etc....

You will have to forgive me here as I am not sure what "SBers" are? Since you say "it is about the SPORTS," I assume it is some sort of sport? Is it Snow Boarders, Sail Boaters, Skim Boarders, Surf Boarders, Sand Buggy Riders, Sun Bathers, or it might even mean Sun Bowlers or Super Bowlers? In any case, I do believe it is the SPORT that does come first and then you create the friendship, laughs, commaraderie, etc... around the SPORT. So for Power Trailers, it is about the Geocaching NUMBERS first, and then you create the friendships, laughs, commaraderie, etc... around the common ground of Geocaching.

So let me reiterate, I SEE NO PROBLEM WITH IT, none whatsoever. But don't say the "numbers don't matter much." EVERYTHING about a Power Trail is about the NUMBERS. Stopping every 528 feet across the Mojave Desert is not exactly a highly sought after past time. There has to be an ulterior motive and that is NUMBERS. As a matter of fact, I plan on trying to do part of the Route 66 Power Trail myself, sometime soon. And my reason? Purely for the numbers, purely to test myself on how many I can do by myself. Oh wait, numbers don't mean much, I am doing it to get away from the "rat race" that is Southern California and find some solitude! LOL :lol:

Edited by Inmountains

Believe me, you've been caching longer than most. With a member number of 71,560, you've been caching longer than approximately 98.7% of registered accounts. Even I'm in the 95th percentile. :laughing:

Oh gosh, I'm not a PT guy at all, I think it's silly, and wouldn't do it. But I'll stick up for them a little as far as the commaraderie, friendship and laughs. A bunch of Geo-pals driving around in a car all day? I'd say it meets the definition, the same as it would for me going out with some Geo-pals for 8 hours, hiking 5+ miles, and finding 15 caches. Which I haven't actually done in a couple years, I should get on that.

I agree that an all day cache hunt driving around with a few caching buddies would involve plenty of laughter and camaraderie. I think most of us, at least those who don't live in the boonies, can easily do that in their their local areas. The only problem is that the caches aren't all neatly lined up in a row so that you can bag 500 or a thousand in one shot. You might have to be satisfied with a measly 25, 50 or 100 finds. The fun and camaraderie level should be the same, but the numbers will suffer.

That says to me that these super power trails are about the numbers pure and simple. Not that its a bad thing for those who are into it, but don't try to say it isn't about the numbers.