The Blech Nickel coin pass Mission

EyeD10T

I have enjoyed watching many of the missions that other have hosted in these forums, and I have had the opportunity to participate in a couple, so I felt it was time for me to try to host one. The mission that I am proposing will be called:

coin_12.jpg

The Blech Nickel coin pass Mission

The way it will work is anyone that wants to participate can send me their name and address. I will put a list together to add to the coin pass. I will then put 10 new, unactivated coins in the box, along with a gift (I recommend $20 or under). I will mail the pass to the next person on the list, who will take any coins they want, Exchange what they took with a new unactivated coin (trade even or trade up), and will keep the gift that was placed in the box. They will then put a new gift in the box for the next person, along with the coins they have traded and send it to the next person. Once everyone on the list has completed their trade, then the last person on the list will return the coin pass to me and the mission will be over.

We will track everything in this thread, as well as in a logbook that will start with the pass. If you see the person ahead of you receive the pass and you do not think you will be home to receive it, please notify the group so the pass can go to the next person and then will return to you once the list is completed.

It is important that you send the pass out as soon as you can. I wouldn't want it to get held up for too long during the journey. I would recommend that the pass be sent within 3-4 days of receipt.

I also request that due to the value of the package that each time the package is sent out, the sender get insurance and tracking information for the pass. This way we can all watch the progress, and can take appropriate action of the box gets lost along the way.

The blech nickel will accompany the pass and is activated so the pass participants can discover it while they have it in hand. I hope to use it in missions in the future, so it is for discovery only and not for trade.

If anyone overseas wants to participate in the mission, then I will have a re-do. I will do the US first and then will send a package overseas in the same manner, so anyone is eligible to sign up for this mission.

If you would like to participate, then send me an email via my profile with your mailing address. Also, respond to the thread with the following information:

Name:

Date pass received:

Date pass sent:

Coins took

Coins put into pass:

Thanks everyone - let me know if you have any questions. I will wait until March 11th to allow everyone to have a chance to see this thread and to sign up. I will send the pass out on March 14th.

Edited by Eartha

I really like this variation on the "52 Pick-Up" mission, which was GREAT fun while it lasted. I would love to participate! I've done plenty of missions, so you can count on me to trade up/trade even AND to mail it on promptly.

Email sent!

Name: Penny and Kona

Date pass received:

Date pass sent:

Coins took

Coins put into pass:

Sounds like fun

Email sent 2/19/11

Pass received

Pass sent

Coins taken

Coins put in pass

Not to be greedy but you might want to limit the # of participants

Opalsans 52-pick missionx had 52 members and both disappeared before completing their task.

Edited by TeamEccs21

I would love to participate too...But I am in Canada...are you included Canada in your US version of the mission or will I have to wait until the overseas version?

...T.

I was thinking about including Canada as part of the overseas mission. Maybe on the return trip? Mainly due to the possible time lag while the pass goes through customs. ;)

Not to be greedy but you might want to limit the # of participants

Opalsans 52-pick missionx had 52 members and both disappeared before completing their task.

I thought about this. What does everyone think? should I put a limit on the number?

IMHO ...I agree, ...including Overseas.

Putting a limit on the number just means that you can have more missions :)

It probably would be best to keep the numbers small and repeat the mission than have one large mission that doesn't complete because various factors.

IMHO ...I agree, ...including Overseas.

Name: DocWahala

Date pass received:

Date pass sent:

Coins took

Coins put into pass:

Hope I am not too late, if not, please sign me up! Email sent.

DocWahala

PS - If you do an international, I wouldnt mind signing up for same. We might be able to work something out - I rotate five weeks in states, 5 weeks in Africa, and I have a friend who does same, and he geocaches in England.

We have 15 signed up, so I say lets go ahead and get this mission started! :)

I will get the pass together and will post more info later today. If you want to sign up for a future mission, feel free to send me an email and we can have another go after the international mission is complete. For the international mission, I want to limit it to 10 participants mainly due to the time it will take to get around.

Thanks all that signed up.

OK - the Coin pass is just about ready to send out. I am waiting for confirmation of a shipping address and I have to get one more thing to pack before I send it. I will post the tracking info when I do send it so the 1st person on the list will know its on the way.

Here are the coins that the pass is starting with.

blechnickelpass.jpg

These are (Left to Right, top to bottom):

Compass Rose Geocoin 2010 - Corvo

Compass Rose Geocoin 2010 - Flores

Gecko Albino Geocoin

Forest Kami Verdant

January 2011 Hold the Sun

The Winged Disc Geocoin

Geopick Geocoin

The New Years 2011 Geocoin

Home is Where the Cache is Geocoin

Groundspeak Lost and Found Geocoin

I arranged the list geographically, so the delivery time would not slow down with the pass zipping back and forth. The one address I am needing to confirm may be a little out of order, but I have narrowed the vicinity down based on the cachers finds and hides on their profile. Here is the order that the pass will be sent:

Maine Family

Azure Sky

Six Little Spookies

BlueEyedAussie

scificollector

Ashallond

LilSmiths

docwahala

Penny and Kona

LewisClan77

eseurat

sweetlife

Buckeyeview

TeamECCS21

usyoopers

EyeD10T

I arranged the list geographically, so the delivery time would not slow down with the pass zipping back and forth. The one address I am needing to confirm may be a little out of order, but I have narrowed the vicinity down based on the cachers finds and hides on their profile. Here is the order that the pass will be sent:

Maine Family

Azure Sky

Six Little Spookies

BlueEyedAussie

scificollector

Ashallond

LilSmiths

docwahala

Penny and Kona

LewisClan77

eseurat

sweetlife

Buckeyeview

TeamECCS21

usyoopers

EyeD10T

I like that there is an "order" for mission participants to follow. It may take some of the "surprise" element out, but I think we'll be saved the "where did it go?" guessing game.

Those are some great coins to start the mission! Makes me wish I were the first recipient...

I sure hope that people follow some kind of "fair trade"....we are smack at the bottom of the list :unsure:

I'll second this emotion, usyoopers.

I know "fair trade" means something different for everyone, but some guidance is in order here. Given the variety of coins available AND the fact that we have a lot of variety in terms of familiarity with coins among the participants, some discussion might not be such a bad thing.

I notice that there are no "event" coins in the initial eight offering, so maybe those should be precluded from the mission?

A couple(?) come from one of the clubs out there, so those might be replaced with other club coins?

If any coins are sold out, is it fair to replace it with a newly minted coin that is available through one of the vendors?

Then, there's the simplest (if not equitable?) option: trade 1 unactivated/trackable coin for another unactivated/trackable.

As the mission leader, perhaps EyeD10T should make the final decision...

I notice that there are no "event" coins in the initial eight offering, so maybe those should be precluded from the mission?

A couple(?) come from one of the clubs out there, so those might be replaced with other club coins?

Does this mean that event/club coins are considered "lesser" coins? As a newbie I have no idea how to tell if a coin is "good" or "bad", I just go for whatever is visually appealing to me :laughing:

Does this mean that event/club coins are considered "lesser" coins? As a newbie I have no idea how to tell if a coin is "good" or "bad", I just go for whatever is visually appealing to me :laughing:

Agreed.

Not at all! Some of the most popular coins have been then 9-9-9 and 10-10-10 coins. I haven't been able to trade for any of them! ;)

My point was that one way to define a "fair trade" is to trade a like coin for a like coin: a club coin for a club coin, an oakcoin for an oakcoin, etc. I think we all try to acquire coins that we find "visually appealing," but what I find pretty may not be so appealing to the receiver. This is subjective.

I gave several examples in my post, not just event/club coins. How does a sold out, hard-to-find coin measure up to something that's still available on a website? My thought was to initiate a discussion about what could constitute a "fair trade" to see if there IS a way to have objective criteria to help us decide what is "fair." This would help ALL of us out, newbies and mission veterans alike, in that the expectations would be clearly stated. I certainly didn't mean to single out anything as "lesser." If someone is taking it that way, then I can only blame my wording and assure everyone that my intent was otherwise.

Having participated in several missions, I think I understand where usyoopers is coming from. It is not unheard of to receive a mission where it is difficult to believe that someone put any thought into it at all. Moreover, missions can be misinterpreted as a way to get rid of coins that you've been gifted but really didn't care for, and the justification is merely "unactivated and trackable." I get the impression that a few coiners have given up on missions because it is no fun to put thought, effort, and coins that are more coveted than the average coin into a mission, and not receive nearly the same in return.

Thank you everyone for participating in the coin pass. For those that did not get to sign up and want to participate, if all goes well with the first 2, then I will plan more in the future. I have started another list and will add names of anyone that may want to do one later on.

I am a newcomer to the missions here in the forums. I have participated in a couple and have learned a bit along the way. The idea of the coin pass came from back in the day when my hobby was cigars. Members would pass cigars in a box pass - set up just how I did this coin pass. I did have a concern that some might use the pass as an opportunity to dump off unwanted coins, but I have hopes that is not the case. One of the stipulations that I put was to trade even/up in an attempt to try to keep this from happening.

I am starting it with 10 coins that I have collected extras of for the purpose of using in missions. Since I have only been collecting coins for a few months, most of these are fairly recent releases. I do have some others, but I took a look at the profile of the person I am sending to and based my initial puts on some of the wants they have listed. I didnt have a lot of what they have listed as wants, so I did the best that I could. In looking at the collection they have listed on the profile, I think I do have some they have not received.

I assumed that some people are not using the coin clubs, so I included a couple of club coins so they would have an opportunity to get one. I don't know that we can trade club coin for club coin because if they are not a member of a coin club, they may not have access to a club coin to trade. I also put in some coins that are sold out by the vendor, so that someone that may not have had a chance to get one could get one. I hope that with 10 coins to choose from, there are at least a couple that will be in the box when you get it that you don't have and/or do want.

Because each person will have to list their takes and puts in this thread, I think that will help prevent bad exchanges. There will be 15 other people watching. ;) If anyone has a concern about what they are exchanging, they can contact me, or put it to a group vote...I am not sure what would work best. By posting the list of takes and puts, you will also have an idea of what is coming to you so that may help you decide what you may want to exchange.

I think that everyone should try to exchange quality with quality - making it as even as possible. If it is a coin you wouldn't want to get, then maybe you should not put that one in. Also, the list of names is out there, so you may want to contact the person you will be sending to and see what they are interested in or are looking for.

If you get the coin pass and do not like what choices you have, then contact me and I will arrange a trade of some sort with you. I don't have a large collection, but I do have some variety so I think that we can work something out. I just want everyone to have fun with this and am sure that we can work out something if the pass goes bad.

I am open to discussions on this. Since it is the first pass, I am sure there will be things that come up along the way, but nothing we cant fix! ;)

The Coin Pass is on its way!

Tracking number: 9102010521297560597768

Name: EyeD10T

Date pass received: NA

Date pass sent: 2/23/2011

Coins took: NA

Coins put into pass:

Gecko Albino Geocoin

Forest Kami Verdant

The Winged Disc Geocoin

Geopick Geocoin

Heads-up Maine Family - your next :)

The Coin Pass is on its way!

Tracking number: 9102010521297560597768

Name: EyeD10T

Date pass received: NA

Date pass sent: 2/23/2011

Coins took: NA

Coins put into pass:

Gecko Albino Geocoin

Forest Kami Verdant

The Winged Disc Geocoin

Geopick Geocoin

Heads-up Maine Family - your next :)

I am ready. Are you going to email me the address of who I will send it to?

I guess I should have mentioned that inside the coin pass box is:

1. The 10 coins listed

2. An envelope with all of the addresses of the folks that are participating. It is in order and there is a place where you can log your puts and takes.

3. The gift for Maine Family (can say too much about this - its a secret) :)

4. The blech nickel and a log book. The log book is something that will stay with the blech nickel. You can write anything you want or nothing at all - its up to you. The blech nickel is activated, so feel free to discover it while you have it.

I think that covers it all. Please let me know if there are any questions.

Edited by EyeD10T

Because each person will have to list their takes and puts in this thread, I think that will help prevent bad exchanges. There will be 15 other people watching. ;) If anyone has a concern about what they are exchanging, they can contact me, or put it to a group vote...I am not sure what would work best. By posting the list of takes and puts, you will also have an idea of what is coming to you so that may help you decide what you may want to exchange.

I think that everyone should try to exchange quality with quality - making it as even as possible. If it is a coin you wouldn't want to get, then maybe you should not put that one in. Also, the list of names is out there, so you may want to contact the person you will be sending to and see what they are interested in or are looking for.

Excellent advice and suggestions! I am looking forward to this mission, and to seeing what types of coins get exchanged. Thanks, EyeD10T!

Just something we did in the 52 card mission is we dipped the coin in one of our local caches. Would you like us to do that so it has a history of where it has been or just discover it.I am excited. I went shopping today and have the gift all bought.

If you would like to take the coin and dip it, that would be neat. Its up to you. Thanks for the idea. Glad you are excited. I was too when I packed the pass...I hope it gets to you soon! ;)