Finding local members

southdeltan

I'm sure this has been asked and/or discussed before, so don't shoot a newbie for asking:

Is there a way to find members by state?

I'm sure it's possible to go through cache-logs and all - but I think a feature that would list them without having to do all of that would be simple to add in and very useful, especially for new cachers looking to find people in their area.

It would also be nice to figure out which states had the most cachers and the most cachers per capita.

SouthDeltan

Right now, in my opinion, the best way to get answers to your questions is by using Dan's Stats Site. It ain't perfect, but it's cool.

There are lots of other threads on this subject if you look through a few pages of this forum, or try the search function. I think I've made the same suggestion in all of them! icon_smile.gif

x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x

I was formerly employed by the Department of Redundancy Department, but I don't work there anymore.

quote:
Originally posted by South Deltan:

Is there a way to find members by state?

Even if there were, it would not be reliable or complete. The only location information that is required to join is what country you're in. Anything beyond that is optional, and nothing is done to verify it.

3608_2800.gif

To narrow down just to state level, as Lep stated, Dan's page is probably about as close as you're going to get. I guess you could even get city level for some selected cities. The problem, of course, is that Dan's page just tells who's FOUND caches in the State/major city on the list. So it's not perfect, but does give an idea of who's been in the area. And generally, the ones with a high find count for an area PROBABLY live in/near the area.

I'm lost. I've gone to find myself. If I should happen to get back before I return, please ask me to wait.

I find Dan's information misleading. When I search for caches that I have found, it shows that I have found caches in states that I have not! I have emailed Dan and am awaiting a response. I thought maybe my user name might have been used long ago in the past, but a search on geocaching.com only shows the caches that I know I have found. It doesn't list the ones in other states that Dan's site lists. Weird...

Just got word from Dan. His site used my user name as a wildcard for searching purposes! That's what I get for not being original...

Beagle

As soon as you idiot proof something, they go and make a better idiot!

[This message was edited by Beagle on March 03, 2003 at 08:13 AM.]