Swedish Eastercoin from grodan

grodan & fiabus

I am working on a Eastercoin for the swedish coiners and thought I should share it with you people in here too.

It will be in BN only and the moon is in glowcolour. It will be trackable on geocaching.com with own icon and (hopefully) GF-prefix. I haven´t decided yet how many will be made but no more than 100 and no remint ever from me.

b9285bf8-13d1-42af-8b3d-e3e31d9f5ed6.jpg

Please tell me what you think of it. If anyone would like to have one or two plese send me an email through the profile. I will sell these mainly but have no price yet and since the dollar/swedish crown is going up and down I am thinking it will be rather high.

Hope you like it.

grodan Karin

Edited by Eartha

Very interesting coin. But please educate me a bit. What does a witch flying by the full moon have to do with Easter in Sweden? I see she has a basket of eggs on her back but that doesn't help to clear up the confusion i'm in. Easter is already confusing enough with trying to piece together the relationship of Rabbits, Eggs, and Christ's resurrection. Why does a Rabbit hide eggs? :huh:

Very nice

I found some information about Easter in Sweden - its quite interesting...

"In Sweden, common Easter traditions include egg painting. Children dressed up as Easter witches with long skirts, colorful headscarves and painted red cheeks, go from house to house in the neighborhood and present the occupants with paintings and drawings in the hope of getting sweets in return. According to Swedish folklore, during Easter the witches fly to Blåkulla (the Blue Mountain) to meet the devil."

Here is the link that I got that information from:

http://goscandinavia.about.com/od/annualeventstraditions/qt/easterinsweden.htm

Hi!

Thank you for the link about easdtertraditions here is another one.

http://www.nordicway.com/search/Sweden/Sweden_Easter%20Traditions.htm

Here you can read about eggs and easter.

The girl on the coin is not a witch, she is a påskkärring. That means a kid dressed up as a witch and now she is off to find some candy and give away some eggs. Notice her cat, see how scared he is to fall down the broom.

The easterbunny is more of an american tradition I think and I know little about that. We think more of chickens for easter.

I haven´t decided how many coin to make yet and that is why I don´t have a price yet but I will tell as soon as I know.

Hope you will like the coin. I think it will turn out nice.

Email sent back to you who sent me one.

grodan Karin

Sweet coin :)

Hope the lines are not too tiny.

Ary idea the backside will look like?

Stefan

Thank you.

I am not sure what you mean with those lines should be too tiny?

The back will be as if you are looking at the moon from behind so there will not be much other than the moon and the feet and broom pointing out.

The needed trackable info and number will be there ofcourse and the text grodan & fiabus, Glad Påsk 2011 and also the name of the girl that drew the original picture I am building the design on.

There will not be many made of this coin so that is why it will be expensive in dollar measured. In SEK the cost is most fair. Hope you all will like it and buy it anyway. Cost is probably higher on other places, like that eplace for example.

grodan Karin

I think this is a wonderful coin celebrating the Easter tradition in your country!! Yes, here in the U.S. it is usually the Easter Bunny that brings all the goodies but I don't know if most remember that most pet shops also have baby chicks,and ducks besides the baby bunnies that they stock as Easter gifts. That tradition came from somewhere and because we are such a "melting pot" I am willing to guess that it cam from the many immigrants.

Edited by CCWashburn

The order has been sent in, I decided to make 75 of these. That means it will not be all that costy that I thought from the start but I will know first after I paid.

There are still some extras if someone wants to make a reservation.

Just send me an email through the profile.

grodan Karin

Hmm, seems they will be expensive anyway, the dollar verses Swedish crown is not very good right now so I will have to set the coin to $15. I don´t know the shipping yet since I don´t know how heavy the coin is but shipping for one coin should stay at $5. That makes a coin including shipping and handling for $20.

I hope you find it worth the money an reserve one.

Facts:

75 made, own icon, GF prefix, no remint

Here is also a picture of final artwork.

41e8ba44-070d-46fb-a29c-9992252c2138.jpg

The name Jessica Börjesson is the name of the girl who owns the picture and she wanted that on the coin if I was going to use her picture. I didn´t think it matter so that is ok with me. Lets just pretend it is the name of the girl on the front. :)

Thanks.

grodan Karin

I have sent in the order and paid for it today. I haven´t heard back yet (timediff) but I guess they go to production next week.

I will send out the invoices once I have the coins in hand. I will post the progress here to keep you all informed.

Thank you.

grodan Karin

Hi,

I love the coin! I would love to buy one, so please send me a PayPal invoice. I will send you a private e-mail with my information.

I have sent in the order and paid for it today. I haven´t heard back yet (timediff) but I guess they go to production next week.

I will send out the invoices once I have the coins in hand. I will post the progress here to keep you all informed.

Thank you.

grodan Karin

Hi,

I love the coin! I would love to buy one, so please send me a PayPal invoice. I will send you a private e-mail with my information.

One more thing, I like that the girl's name is on the coin. You might want to tell her that it is not uncommon for coins like this to last hundreds of years and possibly even a thousands depending on whether they are kept indoors or outside. I don't exactly understand how the picture is connected to Jessica; Was it from a book she owns? did she draw the picture? Was she the model?

update: whoops, I read the older posts again and saw that Jessica drew the picture. Her artistic skills are far better than mine.

Edited by GregsonVaux

Thank you.

grodan Karin

Great! Can't wait...a very unique coin with a great story! :)

Edited by JoenSue
... You might want to tell her that it is not uncommon for coins like this to last hundreds of years and possibly even a thousands depending on whether they are kept indoors or outside....

can you tell which enameled coins have lasted hundreds of years? possibly even thousands?

rsg

My expectation is that the enamel would first discolor and then flake off. I would expect this to happen over several decades, but with proper care, the enamel might last a hundred years or longer. What would last for hundreds or thousands of years is the metal core and this is what I was referring to. If this is a stamped coin, then even without the enamel, the basic coin would last a long long time. The witch might not be colored, but she would still be there.

On the other hand, there is a way to color a coin that has been proven to last for many hundreds of years and I am currently working on making those coins available.

Wow... very interesting to know about different cultural ties with easter. May I ask what the kettle is for?

The kettle is for bringing coffée, long journey. No I don´t know why she brings coffée but that is what it is for.

grodan Karin

Coffee... mmmmmmm...

Mmmm...Coffee and chocolate, what a great combination!

Lovely coin, nicely drawn detail and an interesting story behind it too. I like the look of the happy cat, just like one of ours with the tail in the air, looking right at you! Hope I get to see one of these one day.

Happy Easter!

Edited by Fianccetto