BaseCamp data location

Torgut

Hey! My PC had a software failure. I will need to restore an image to bring it back to life. Meanwhile I would love to run a focused backup on BaseCamp data as I've been collecting interesting waypoints and tracks using this software. Anyone knows where BaseCamp keeps data so I can copy the files to an external hard disk before I proceed with the image restore?

Hey! My PC had a software failure. I will need to restore an image to bring it back to life. Meanwhile I would love to run a focused backup on BaseCamp data as I've been collecting interesting waypoints and tracks using this software. Anyone knows where BaseCamp keeps data so I can copy the files to an external hard disk before I proceed with the image restore?

Desktop/my documents/documents and settings/'your login pc name folder'/application data/garmin/basecamp/database/3.1/AllData.gdb

AllData.gdb is the 'garmin gps database' file

You can verify this by going to that file location, and note the date and time of the file. Then go into basecamp and create a simple waypoint. Then go back to the file and note the new date and time.

Might be worth copying the full Desktop/my documents/documents and settings/'your login pc name folder'/application data/garmin/basecamp directory just to be sure.

You can also create a backup from basecamp directly - file/export/export my collection. That gives you an option to save everything to a disk location of your choice - but I guess this is of little use if your pc has failed - therefore you need to recover the above file via booting into safe mode and entering the 'DOS' system directly to enable you to copy the above file. If you mean you want to do a 'system restore', the data at the above location should be uneffected - just like when you have Word, Excel docs etc and you do a 'system restore' - those type of files are uneffected and remain at their current locations after the system restore process has been completed. Also, system restore can be wound back.

Hope this helps.

Steve

Edited by janandsteve

Wow! Yeah! Plenty of info. I'm sure I will be able to extract the data I need. Although some of yours suggestions are out of my options as I can't work with that computer right now... it's dead. But I will do a full backup and once back to life I will look for the folders / files you mentioned and restore them into the new system. Thanks a lot.

Exporting the "My Collection" isn't really backing up all the data, BaseCamp has a backup feature that will allow you to save everything including BirdsEye imagery etc. Use that and you can save your backup and restore from that.

As long as 'show all user data' is selected and the bottom, an export of 'my selection' is the same as doing a 'backup', except you have more control of what needs backing up... eg i never save geocaches as these get replaced with a new PQ. routes waypoints tracks and custom maps are the ones i tend to backup, in fact I save these as seperate gpx files which i find easier to 'restore' into basecamp to view where I have been etc and to plan new adventures. I think you get my meaning - its more flexible doing the export function, but I take your point if you want to back up everything, incl the rubbish.....

Wow! Yeah! Plenty of info. I'm sure I will be able to extract the data I need. Although some of yours suggestions are out of my options as I can't work with that computer right now... it's dead. But I will do a full backup and once back to life I will look for the folders / files you mentioned and restore them into the new system. Thanks a lot.

No Problem. It looks like the file location I mentioned above is what will assist you best. Does you PC boot at all or is it 'dead'. You could take the HDD out of your dead PC and put it into another working PC as a secondary HDD.