Washington State Cities And Towns Challenge

Gan Dalf

That does sound like an Awesome trip! Your dedication to the Challenge is very much appriciated. I saw that you logged my cache at the senior cneter in Snohomish and it made me smile when I saw your name on the log.

I am going to be updating some of the maps, including Bellevue and Beaux Arts Village because of the overlap issues that some have reported and I will look into the one you mention is Skykomish as well.

First we had a great trip to places we have never been in before. Most were about the size of the little town (Bible Grove, Illinois) where I was born 86 years ago.

I have been using open street maps that show the boundries for each town. Woodinville sure is a messed up boundry.

according to the boundries shown for Beaux Arts Village "Up UP and Away" is the only valid cache showing. However, I will be also looking for "HA take that" as you said it would count. As the Cache Owner you can judge the placement of the cache as you see it. dick

Yes, I am aware. Another group of experienced cachers DNF'd it as well. As luck would have it, I am driving to Portland tomorrow and I will be stopping by this cache to see if I can find it. If I don't I will write to the cache owner and depending on their response (or lack there of) I might end up removing Bucoda from the list and adding another one.

I was wondering if you found the cache in Bucoda. Also still doing a little route planing and I notice Cathlamet Cache is in

Cathlamet but Work & More Work is in East Cathlamet. I assume they are seperate towns. According to the open street map 'The Haunted Valley is not in the city limits of Yacolt. Is it a valid cache for Yacolt? Thanks Dick

I was wondering if you found the cache in Bucoda. Also still doing a little route planing and I notice Cathlamet Cache is in

Cathlamet but Work & More Work is in East Cathlamet. I assume they are seperate towns. According to the open street map 'The Haunted Valley is not in the city limits of Yacolt. Is it a valid cache for Yacolt? Thanks Dick

I looked for the Bucoda cache yesterday and couldn't find it. I sent a note to the CO asking for him to check on it but given the high number of DNF's on the Bucoda Cache and if the CO does not get back to me I might have to wave Bucoda from the challenge for now and remove it from the challenge entirely and replace Bucoda with another city in the long term.

For the purposes of the challenge consider Cathlamet and East Cathlamet to be the same city, that is how it appears on the map and as far as I know they are the same city.

Yacolt had another cache in it when I drew the map. The one you are asking about i soutside the city limits. For now Yacolt is waved fromthe challenge until I pick a new one.

I guess this is the draw back of trying to include the very small cities. With only one cache in this as well as several other cities the challenge might change over time. In hindsight I probably should have set a criteria of a minmium number of caches per city when I was selcting them for the challenge but a lot of people seemed interested in including the very smallest cities inthe state, places you would never visit otherwise, in the challenge. I will change that moving forward.

Thank you for your prompt attention. Sunday looks like a nice day so we will take the Ferry and go to Bothell to visit our daughter. Then we will have her drive us around and look for valid caches in Woodinville, Bellevue and Beaux Arts Village. dick

Edited by W7WT

Caught an early ferry and went to our daughter's home in Bothell. Drove to Woodinville and found GC2EH19 and then drove to Hidden Storage GC1HZMI Which I bookmarked for the Challenge. Then to Belleview and found My Birthday Suit GCBB79 and then Almost 10-10

which I bookmarked. Down to Up Up and Away in Beaux Arts Village. After going to the wrong cedars we finally found the right one. No log in container so we added our log on a small piece of paper. Really needs a new log. I bookmarked it. We did make our way thru all the back roads thru the Village before finding the trail to Ha Take That. The trail was too steep for me to come back up so our daughter went down and found the cache. Came back up because we didn't give her anything to write the log with. So we signed the log book and she went back down and hid the cache. Then we had a late bkfst in a Bothell cafe. We then stopped in Renton to visit Arlene's cousin and made it back home about 1600. Sun never did shine today but we are happy to have three more places accounted for. dick

I have a question about the location you will pick to take the place of cacheless Yacolt. Will it be in the same area and how soon will you be able to pick the location. I hope the owner of Bucoda cache will check and replace the cache soon. He sounds like a cacher that will check soon. We are working our way down I5 picking up needed caches on either side. We will be doing the Black Diamond run this next weekend if the wx is good. Thank you. Dick and Arlene

I have a question about the location you will pick to take the place of cacheless Yacolt. Will it be in the same area and how soon will you be able to pick the location. I hope the owner of Bucoda cache will check and replace the cache soon. He sounds like a cacher that will check soon. We are working our way down I5 picking up needed caches on either side. We will be doing the Black Diamond run this next weekend if the wx is good. Thank you. Dick and Arlene

Hi Dick,

The next city I will add to the challenge is Yelm, which is close to Bucoda. There are no acceptable choices near Yacolt. I considered Battle Ground but that is basicly just an extension of Vancouver. I will most likely be replacing both Bucoda and Yacolt. The location that the Bucoda cache is in is too public, the cache will contniue to be a problem. I won't be picking anymore one cache towns for the challenge should it be necessary to replace cities in the future.

If you are caching near Yelm I would plan on getting one there, if you haven't already found one near there. The other replacement will probably be in Eastern Washington. The owner of the Bucoda cache sent me a note that he would check this weekend but if I don't hear from him by midweek then I will be updating the challenge with two new cities, one of which will be Yelm.

-s

All, I have added the note below to the cache page.

Hello Everyone

I have had to make some updates to a couple of the places in teh challenge. As of right now, Bucoda, WA in thurston County and Yacolt, WA in Clark county are no longer part of the challenge. Both of those places had only one eligible cache in them which have either gone missing or been archived. I know of only one person that is currently working ont he challenge that this affects but if you found a cache in either Bucoda or Yacolt I apologize for declairing those places ineligible.

I have picked two new cities with many options for caches in the same counties. The new cities are Washoougal, WA in Clark County and Yelm, WA in Thurston Couty. I have updated the chart to include these two new cities.

Also, please see below for all of the changes that have been made to the text file that is to be used with mapping programs. I have updated the link on th efilter instructions to direct you to the most up to date maps. Please contact me directly or post in the forums if you have any questions regarding this. Thanks to all that have provided feedback.

# Polygon File for Washington State

# Cities and Towns Challenge

# version 2.0 changes from version 1.3: Removed Bucoda, WA

# version 2.0 changes from version 1.3: Removed Yacolt, WA

# version 2.0 changes from version 1.3: Added Yelm, WA

# version 2.0 changes from version 1.3: Added Washogal, WA

# version 2.0 changes from version 1.3: Redrew Wilkeson, WA

# version 1.3 changes from version 1.2: Redrew Stevenson, WA again

# to include a wider strip of the Columbia River

# version 1.3 changes from version 1.2: Redrew Bellevue, WA so that it does not

# completely enclose Beaux Arts Village

# version 1.3 changes from version 1.2: Redrew Beaux Arts Village, WA

# version 1.2 changes from version 1.1: Redrew Coupville, WA to include finger pier

# version 1.2 changes from Version 1.1: Redrew Stevenson, WA to include more of Columbia River

# version 1.1 changes from version 1.0 Moun10Bike fixed spokane, WA and Longview WA mapping errors.

According to the open street map Hatton does not have any caches. "Old Bones" is close. Is it a valid cache for Hatton?

Wow Dick, you're really keeping me honest! <_< Unlike the other two cities which had caches that were archived or have gone missing within their city limits, I drew the lines around Hatton specificlly to include the Old Bones cache, yes it is eligible and gets good reviews. Hope you enjoy it.

Hey Dick

I know you aren't too worried about this, but I checked on the cache in Duvall that you DNFed on your way through. Its there. Glad you had other options while you were here however. :)

Thanks, getting DNFs in not unusual for us. Today, we went to Black Diamond, Enumclaw, Wilkeson, South Prairie and Orting, and found the first cache we looked for in each town. We did have a hard time finding the cache on the Caboose in Wilkeson. Looks like An Ode to Grandpa Dave is not within the city limits so we were going to stay at it until we found it. Arlene finally found it and the hint and coords were right on. I am sure both of us had our hands on it. dick

Just did Skykomish this weekend (and a bunch of other places, Cashmere, Leavenworth), what a neat area.

The Highway 2 cooridor is one of my favorite drives in the state. Ranks right up there with North Cascades, White Pass and Chukanut Drive. My West side bias is shwoing of course. I think that there are equally incredible spots on the east side of the state...

Edited by FobesMan

We are heading out tomorrow for a 3 day trip, south and then along the Columbia. The only one that has me concerned is Vader which has only A Crafty Hide. I must be the only one that doesn't know what the Crafty style of hiding is. Would appreciate a hint. dick

Edited by W7WT

We are heading out tomorrow for a 3 day trip, south and then along the Columbia. The only one that has me concerned is Vader which has only A Crafty Hide. I must be the only one that doesn't know what the Crafty style of hiding is. Would appreciate a hint. dick

Dick,

I'll send you a personal message...

-s

Dick,

I have done that one myself. If you have any problems, feel free to contact me as well.

We are heading out to Pullman/Walla Walla this weekend, looking at about 20 cities off our list, not certain how many off the challenege list, but we spend a huge amount of time on the east side of the state. Should be fun.

We are heading out to Pullman/Walla Walla this weekend, looking at about 20 cities off our list, not certain how many off the challenege list, but we spend a huge amount of time on the east side of the state. Should be fun.

There are 16 places in the Southeast Corner of the state South of I-90 to the Oregon border between the Tri-cities and Idaho. If you stretched yourself up to Spokane you could find 4 or 5 more.

Have Fun!

Dick,

I have done that one myself. If you have any problems, feel free to contact me as well.

Thanks we found it just after the one in Pe Ell. Our Nuvi 550 routed us across country right to the cache in Vader. Arlene spotted it and it took us a little while to get our hands on it. Good luck on your trip. We found 18 new ones, most very easy. We had two DNF in Yelm and then the next one was very easy. All caches after that were easy. On Thursday we found caches from Kalama to Bention City and ended up finding the one in Moxie. This morning we picked up Roslyn Cafe. Our GPSs weren't much help but I suddenly remembered what a Cooper does and found the cache. Our next trip will probably be about like yours this weekend. Will try to get all the caches below I 90. We stayed all night in Walla Walla last summer but was too tired to look for any caches. We did find one the next morning but it is out of the city limits. Good luck, Dick and Arlene

A couple of questions. We have been thru Ione and it is a long ways from anywhere and has only one cache. Is it possible that if

the Caveman cache is missing that the one near the airport and cafe could be an alternate. Planning on doing Davenport on next trip and the Mystery Cache Measuring Up Davenport where you measure everything in town to get the correct coordinates sure has a lot of chances of being off. Outthere is disabled due to construction has been disabled for a long time. Jamba's Cache is very close and I am not sure if it would count or not. Please Advise Dick

A couple of questions. We have been thru Ione and it is a long ways from anywhere and has only one cache. Is it possible that if

the Caveman cache is missing that the one near the airport and cafe could be an alternate. Planning on doing Davenport on next trip and the Mystery Cache Measuring Up Davenport where you measure everything in town to get the correct coordinates sure has a lot of chances of being off. Outthere is disabled due to construction has been disabled for a long time. Jamba's Cache is very close and I am not sure if it would count or not. Please Advise Dick

Hi Dick,

I understand your concerns about Ione. Yes, it is way out there (from the perspective of someone from the West side of the State) which is one of the reasons I included it in the challenge. I see the owner of the lone cache there seems to be no longer engaged; for the time being however, I am going to leave it as is. rocketglider found it while doing the challenge and it seems to be in good shape. If it becomes a problem I will address it but for now you will need to get the Caveman Cache in Ione to qualify for the final. The one at the airport is too far outside the City Limits to be considered a viable option for Ione.

All 3 of the caches around Davenport qualify including the Puzzle and Janbo's Cache. Out There will qualify as well if a person has already found it and once it is re-enabled. For now either of the other two are the only ones available there. There was another cache in Davenport that was active until last year that would also qualify if you'd found that one. Check out rocketgliders bookmark list for that one.

Hi Dick,

I understand your concerns about Ione. Yes, it is way out there (from the perspective of someone from the West side of the State) which is one of the reasons I included it in the challenge. I see the owner of the lone cache there seems to be no longer engaged; for the time being however, I am going to leave it as is. rocketglider found it while doing the challenge and it seems to be in good shape. If it becomes a problem I will address it but for now you will need to get the Caveman Cache in Ione to qualify for the final. The one at the airport is too far outside the City Limits to be considered a viable option for Ione.

All 3 of the caches around Davenport qualify including the Puzzle and Janbo's Cache. Out There will qualify as well if a person has already found it and once it is re-enabled. For now either of the other two are the only ones available there. There was another cache in Davenport that was active until last year that would also qualify if you'd found that one. Check out rocketgliders bookmark list for that one.

Thank you. No problem with Ione as long as it is there. I will add Janbo's cache for Davenport and take along my tape measure just in case. We are enjoying the challenge and are getting stronger for doing it. dick

Good News Northport now has three more new caches!!

Edited by W7WT

Finally got around to creating our bookmark list. I think it is fairly complete at this point and it seems that we missed a few while out on the east side of the state.

Funny Dick, seems like you are right behind us. We were in Roslyn just a couple weeks ago at the same cache. Didn't have any luck eating at the cafe (all detailed in our blog), but the place across the street was great.

Fobes, just wanted to thank you for that shout out on the cache page. It is really appreciated and very respectful.

Just realized this morning, too, that we covered Long Beach, but not Ilwaco (just south of it), so going to have to head out that way again. Oh well.

Hope everyone is having a great father's day!

I'm heading down tot he Portland CM this weekend so if you are plannig on going and have any questions or just want to alk about the challenge, let me know. We are planning on goign to the pre emachine dinner on Friday and then will be stopping by the CM dinner after it gets dark on Saturday, although we will proabably only be ther for a bit...

Well, we colored in the last cache we needed in Liberty Lake Tuesday. We left Bremerton early Sunday Morning and found all the caches we needed and drove home yesterday. Beautiful weather all four days. We had few DNF's and saw a lot of beautiful country.

We really enjoyed driving in the Palouse Area. Yes, we even found Ione. Hadn't been logged since Rocketglider was there. I will email Steve, our CO and give him a four word hint for "The Caveman Cache". If you think you might need it you can e-mail him. We had a lot of road repair delays in the NE corner. Going from Starbuck to Prescott our routing GPS took us on some primtive roads that narrowed down to one lane and very dusty. We wanted to go to Bridgeport from Wilson Creek but the route the GPS wanted us to go had a bridge out so we asked some very nice girls and they gave us another route that took us to Coulee which we wanted to go to. A most enjoyable trip and we both are getting much stronger after my open heart surgery and Arlene's stroke. After our finds are verified we will make a trip to Bothell and have our daughter drive us to the final. We are in no hurry. If anyone has any questions about the caches we found feel free to ask. Dick and Arlene

On thur afer we got conf. we had found all 120 caches, i fell hurting my old injury on my right roto cuff and new injury I tore my left thigh muscle and i am having a hard time sending this e-mail on my notebook. hopefully iwill be able to go home tomorrow but my daughter and wife Arlene will travel to the final and get it. Poor Richard

Edited by W7WT

On thur afer we got conf. we had found all 120 caches, i fell hurting my old injury on my right roto cuff and new injury I tore my left thigh muscle and i am having a hard time sending this e-mail on my notebook. hopefully iwill be able to go home tomorrow but my daughter and wife Arlene will travel to the final and get it. Poor Richard

awww, Dick, I'm really sorry. After all your work, I was really looking forward to reading your log and your thoughts on the challenge. I have been out of touch for a few days and just got your message. I hope, you're doing better.

Best of luck!

Steve

awww, Dick, I'm really sorry. After all your work, I was really looking forward to reading your log and your thoughts on the challenge. I have been out of touch for a few days and just got your message. I hope, you're doing better.

Best of luck!

Steve

Thanks Steve, I am home now. I am still sore all over but coming along. I want to thank you for the challenge. Arlene and I were talking that the four days we finished the needed caches were the best trip we have every made. We got to see everything from the rugged North East to the beautiful Paluse Country. Arlene is having a relapse on her stroke probably brought on by my mishap.

When she gets better she will take the Bremerton Ferry and our daughter will pick her up in Seattle and take her to Discovery Park. Thanks Dick and Arlene

Best of luck!

Steve

Thanks Steve, I am home now. I am still sore all over but coming along. I want to thank you for the challenge. Arlene and I were talking that the four days we finished the needed caches were the best trip we have every made. We got to see everything from the rugged North East to the beautiful Paluse Country. Arlene is having a relapse on her stroke probably brought on by my mishap.

When she gets better she will take the Bremerton Ferry and our daughter will pick her up in Seattle and take her to Discovery Park. Thanks Dick and Arlene

You are welcome. I am glad that you enjoyed it and your perseverance to finish it is an inspiration. If you and Arlene would like, let me know when you might be making the trip. I can't promise but if I am able I would like to accompany you to the final. I say you because I still am holding out hope that both Arlene and yourself will recover enough to go for the final. It is a short walk, from parking to the hide and the terrain rating is not really to chalengin. the rating on the cache page is more for the fact that I can not rate the terrains of all caches required to qualify for the final. I'd say the actual terrain is more like a 2*, 2.5* at the most.

Best of luck!

Steve

You are welcome. I am glad that you enjoyed it and your perseverance to finish it is an inspiration. If you and Arlene would like, let me know when you might be making the trip. I can't promise but if I am able I would like to accompany you to the final. I say you because I still am holding out hope that both Arlene and yourself will recover enough to go for the final. It is a short walk, from parking to the hide and the terrain rating is not really to chalengin. the rating on the cache page is more for the fact that I can not rate the terrains of all caches required to qualify for the final. I'd say the actual terrain is more like a 2*, 2.5* at the most.

I tore the left thigh muscle and it has a large blood pocket that is going to take time for the body to absorb so I don't really want to wait until I can make the trip. It will probably be early on a Sunday morning when Arlene will ferry over and our daughter will take her to DiscoveryPark. dick

Today we took an early ferry and went by Bothell and had our daughter Susan drive us to Discovery Park to look for the final cache. The light rain stopped just before we got there so the trail and brush was still dry. Arlene and Susan went ahead to the cache and I took my time. Arlene found the cache in the very spot the GPSs indicated. I signed the log around 0810 and I took the coffee card and gave it to Susan. As we old people don't care for the new fancy coffee. We had bkfst in Bothell and were lucky as most of the Kingston-Edmonds traffic was east bound. Got back home about 1230. Thanks for the great challenge. Dick and Arlene

Edited by W7WT

In case you missed it on the cache page:

To all watchers and those working on this challenge, as most of you know, there has not been a cache inside the city limits of Ione, WA for a long time even though that town has remained part of the challenge. After the original cache that was in Ione when the challenge published went missing several months later, I have allowed the cache at the Ione airport south of town as an alternative to finding a cache inside the city limits of Ione. That policy is about to end....

There was a new cache inside the city limits of Ione that published a few weeks ago. I have now personally found that cache and so will no longer be accepting the cache that is outside of the city limits as an alternate. To give those with with current pocket queries and unchangeable plans a chance to complete the challenge I will continue to accept the cache at the airport as an alternative until August 31, 2013. Any find made at the Ione airport after that date will not be accepted for the purposes of the challenge.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

TAK

Hey TAK,

Thanks for the update regarding Ione. We've been working on the challenge for a couple years and we're finally(!) closing in on completion with only 5 cities to go.

We wanted to make sure we're understanding the Ione change correctly. If we logged the Ione airport cache last month (i.e. prior to publication of the new cache) but we won't be able to finish our remaining five qualifiers before 8/31, do we have to go back to Ione for the new cache? Or is our Ione qualifier "locked in" because it was valid at the time we found it?

Thanks in advance for the answer and thanks for the challenge fun,

Ben & Jayme

Hey TAK,

Thanks for the update regarding Ione. We've been working on the challenge for a couple years and we're finally(!) closing in on completion with only 5 cities to go.

We wanted to make sure we're understanding the Ione change correctly. If we logged the Ione airport cache last month (i.e. prior to publication of the new cache) but we won't be able to finish our remaining five qualifiers before 8/31, do we have to go back to Ione for the new cache? Or is our Ione qualifier "locked in" because it was valid at the time we found it?

Thanks in advance for the answer and thanks for the challenge fun,

Ben & Jayme

Hi B&J,

glad you are having fun with the challenge. Coincidentally, the thought of this misunderstanding occurred to me as well while I was in the shower this morning.

The short answer is, you're good, no need to go back and find the newly placed cache in Ione (unless you want to).

The long answer is, that if you found the Ione airport cache anytime from the date that it became eligible for the challenge (around September 1st, 2011) until August 31st, 2013, that you can use that cache as the qualifying cache for Ione, no matter when you log the Challenge. From August 31st, 2013 on, the airport cache will no longer qualify for the challenge. Furthermore, before September 1st 2011, there was another cache in Ione that had to be used for the challenge, it has since been archived but before it was disabled, the airport cache did not qualify at that time either. You had to use the Caveman Cache inside the Ione city limits, as the qualifying Ione cache for the challenge.

Hope this clears things up. Let me know if it doesn't.

TAK

6 hours ago, SandeStones said:

Hello. Can you please check Starbucks?  We got one clearly in the city limits but the checker is not giving it to us. GC8Z3RP

It appears that the original polygons used for the automatic checkers stop at the river, so the Cemetery is not being counted.   I wonder if the city limits have changed since those were created.....

image.thumb.png.394400f5b450d47cdcf7358ef5d0e438.png

Edited by TheWinterTrio