tb question

TheCacheSeeker

What does dipping it mean please?

Also, I'd like to tag onto this topic instead of creating a new one.

Re. Travel Bugs; I have discovered that there are many caches that represtent via the cache page inventory that they have TB or coins in them. I seek these out only to discover that the bug or coin was placed in the cache in 2008 and it is no longer there. Why do folks wait so long to retire their bugs/coins or to at least virtually remove them from the caches when it is clear they are missing? I would find these caches eventually anyway, but It'd be nice to know that the inventory was correct and the system is working...

What does dipping it mean please?

"Dipping" is what is now termed "Visiting" - It means that the trackable (a travel bug or geocoin) gets virtually placed into a cache and immediately retrieved out again into your inventory. It's useful if you're out caching with a trackable and you want to show that it visited a cache (or caches) but you're not leaving it there, you're moving it along on to somewhere else. You can make it visit the cache all in one simple action (rather than dropping it off into the cache then having to retrieve it back out of the cache, which was the way it used to be done).

Also, I'd like to tag onto this topic instead of creating a new one.

Re. Travel Bugs; I have discovered that there are many caches that represtent via the cache page inventory that they have TB or coins in them. I seek these out only to discover that the bug or coin was placed in the cache in 2008 and it is no longer there. Why do folks wait so long to retire their bugs/coins or to at least virtually remove them from the caches when it is clear they are missing? I would find these caches eventually anyway, but It'd be nice to know that the inventory was correct and the system is working...

Yes, there are a lot of inaccuracies in the cache inventories. A lot of geocache owners don't realise that they can remove trackables from their cache inventories if the item is no longer in the cache (or some just don't care to do so).

Some trackable owners lose interest in their items and/or leave the game and so they don't know what happens to them: They may disappear from caches but the "ghosts" then linger on.

If you find that a trackable is not in a cache it's a good idea to mention it (by name) in your log on the cache to let others know it's not there and also put a note on the trackable's home page to inform the owner.

If you do all this many cachers will appreciate it - but you'll get your reward in heaven ;)

MrsB

Edited by The Blorenges