New to Geocaching

angelwithnohalo

Hi everyone :)

I am new to geocaching... a friend mentioned it in passing today so i thought i would google it and see what it was all about... within an hour i was in the car heading to my first geocache.... Have to say i didn't find it... But only because it was pitch black when i got there so i will be returning at the weekend to hopefully sign the log book. I don't believe how excited i am about this new activity but in my defence my ten year old son is joining me in this and he is hooked as well... he loves deciphering the codes and working out any clues we find online and i can't think of a better way to spend some quality time with him outdoors on an adventure.

I live in the North East of England (Gateshead) and am amazed at the amount of geocaches i've already made a list of to go find... I'll update our adventures on here and i look forward to getting to know you all.

Angelwithnohalo. :)

My family is new, as well, but let me extend my welcome, also! :) Consider yourself forewarned... If you don't have time for an addiction, JUST WALK AWAY!!! :P My wife and I love to kill our dead time caching, and our 9-year-old is as hooked as me. I'm sure you will love the adventure you're about to experience. Keep an open mind, and do NOT be discouraged when you can't find one are the best two pieces of advice that I have received, so I will pass them along!

Happy Hunting!!! :)

Thank you all for such a warm welcome and all the tips and advice you've posted so far.

I am seriously addicted already... Spent until gone 2am looking online for the "goodies" associated with geocaching... Like i needed a new reason to spend money...lol. Every spare minute i have had today i've found myself planning for the weekend and our adventures.... I can't wait!

I am so looking forward to telling anyone who will listen about our first find!

Angelwithnohalo :rolleyes:

Hi everyone, I started geocaching today and managed to find two. It is so exciting and I didnt think about chocolate at all while I was out and about, which is very unusual. I must remember to wear wellies next time.

Chocolate and Geocaching can be a great combination. And I once found a cache next to a company that makes very fine chocolate. But welcome to the game.

Hi everyone

I have been on two hunts today... the first one i am sure i got the right location but i couldn't find the cache... But i will keep going back until i do...Bet it is really obvious but i'm just new to this so still learning. However the second hunt i found the cache really quickly. I've put my sticker on the log.... How sad am i? I went on ebay and typed in geocaching and loads of things came up.... found one guy who makes stickers with your name on so i ordered some... and each cache i find i will use a sticker! Hey some people are so easily pleased...lol. :rolleyes:

My son enjoyed the hunts... i think the hardest thing today was keeping him from giving the game away when we were close to the cache.... I'm sure people must have thought we were very strange!

Half term next week so i am sure my son will be wanting to do a few more hunts... i'll keep you posted.

Hi everyone

I have been on two hunts today... the first one i am sure i got the right location but i couldn't find the cache... But i will keep going back until i do...Bet it is really obvious but i'm just new to this so still learning. However the second hunt i found the cache really quickly. I've put my sticker on the log.... How sad am i? I went on ebay and typed in geocaching and loads of things came up.... found one guy who makes stickers with your name on so i ordered some... and each cache i find i will use a sticker! Hey some people are so easily pleased...lol. :rolleyes:

My son enjoyed the hunts... i think the hardest thing today was keeping him from giving the game away when we were close to the cache.... I'm sure people must have thought we were very strange!

Half term next week so i am sure my son will be wanting to do a few more hunts... i'll keep you posted.

Your first find was a micro? That's impressive... If you don't mind a suggestion, until you get used to the game it might be better to look for small or regular caches instead of micros, especially when taking your son (unless he is older). Most of the younger children really like trading swag.