OK I'm an idiot...

ARMY-OF-ONE

Hey Gang,

Just received my Garmin Oregon 550 today. I'm trying to figure out how to use the paperless geocaching features. IE. loading a cache into the unit. accessing the information from the unit and so forth.When hitting the geocaching button within the menu it refers me to a Garmin site called "Open Caching" which appears to be quite inferior in comparison to geocaching.com Anybody with experience in the area, Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Regards, Army Pathfinders

The American Soldier provides the enemy combatant,the greatest opportunity to give his own life for his

country.

Thanks Guys!

Lost Member the link you sent was just what I needed! And the boost in confidence didn't hurt either !

Star Brand, the abridged version was right on the mark!

Thanks once again Guys!

The American Soldier provides the enemy combatant,the greatest opportunity to give his own life for his

country.

Edited by ARMY--PATHFINDER

Hey Gang,

Just received my Garmin Oregon 550 today. I'm trying to figure out how to use the paperless geocaching features. IE. loading a cache into the unit. accessing the information from the unit and so forth.When hitting the geocaching button within the menu it refers me to a Garmin site called "Open Caching" which appears to be quite inferior in comparison to geocaching.com Anybody with experience in the area, Any help would be greatly appreciated!

country.

Not sure which part of your post you were asking for help for.

"open caching" is on your GPS because it's a site created by Garmin. They're trying. They're way too late for the game. Far inferior is an understatement I'm afraid. It's got a lot of problems, and not very friendly cachers over there. Their site has been discussed a bit.

They're peer reviewed caches, which doesn't work in many different ways.

There have been a lot of people who are inherently trouble makers, who made trouble over here so they've got no where to go but there to go caching. They are not my idea of a great group to cache with. (you end up dealing with them if you deal with their caches).

Most of their caches are caches that are cross-listed on this website, so you may not find any new ones by going over there.

Happy caching

Hey Gang,

country.

Opencaching was recently launched by Garmin to compete with geocaching.com. I'm guessing that they are now configuring their units to directly work with their website. I'll let you be the judge as to the quality of their alternative.

If you want to do paperless with your 550 all you need to do is hook it up to your PC and it will act like an external drive. You can then drag and drop GPX files into your Oregon.

Thanks Guys!

Lost Member the link you sent was just what I needed! And the boost in confidence didn't hurt either !

Star Brand, the abridged version was right on the mark!

Thanks once again Guys!

country.

Yo MtnMutt it looks like you got kudos! :lol:

It is always nice to see when we are able to assist folks.

If you are thinking of doing a trip that includes several caches, there is a quicker way to put them all on your unit rather than sending them all individually. Rather than clicking the Send to GPS button, use the GPX File button. You will need to have created a folder on your PC beforehand in which to save all the files. I usually create one with a meaningful name, like Daily Dash, or Trip to Family. The files will download quicker to your PC than they will to your unit. Once you have all the caches you want, you just need to copy the folder to the GPX folder on your 550. Done.

Army- Now that you're a Premium Member, Pocket Queries will soon be your friend! Rather than "download GPX" one at a time, these will send up to 1000 caches in a single GPX file for your Oregon. There's a bit of a learning curve with them, but certainly the best PM feature!

Cache on!

The American Soldier provides the enemy combatant,the greatest opportunity to give his own life for his country.

You have a small typo here, it is spelled MARINE. ;)

Wait, Marines can spell? Since when? Come on you can tell us...Somebody helped you with the big word, right? [:)]

Just kidding Brother, We can definitely include you guys in that statement as well !

The American Soldier provides the enemy combatant,the greatest opportunity to give his own life for his country.

You have a small typo here, it is spelled MARINE. ;)

Wait, Marines can spell? Since when? Come on you can tell us...Somebody helped you with the big word, right? [:)]

Just kidding Brother, We can definitely include you guys in that statement as well !

Why do you think we get all those Tattoos, duh! No one has to help we just look down and type it out "sdɹoɔ ǝuıɹɐɯ". :P