POI loader v2.6.0 (newest)

yogazoo

With all of the added features in the new POI loader it is a bummer that it can't read some CSV files correctly. I had to revert back to v2.5.4, a version in which operates without this bug.

Symptoms: The POI loader (v2.6.0) tells me I have an error on a specific line in my CSV file. When I go and correct the line (which doesn't appear to have any errors anyway) and re-run POI loader It tells me that the line BEFORE the one I fixed has an error. Why didn't it tell me in the previous run that the line before the one it flagged had an error?

Simply put, if it's working for you great but if you are getting error messages about specific lines in your CSV, DON'T fix the CSV (there's nothing to fix) simply revert back to version 2.5.4 and everything will run and load fine.

One step forward, two steps back - Paula Abdul

Actually, its not a bug, I've been in contact with Garmin on this. The new version of the POIloader is designed to handle CSV files differently. You will need to update/fix your files for them to work with ALL new version of the POILoader in the future. Each column in the CSV file must now have less than 256 characters. Also, commas are no longer allowed in the description column.

To cut long columns, I opened it in excel, and used the "text to columns" feature and cut the column at 255 characters. I also used search and replace to replace all commas with semi-colons.

That being said, I still have 1 CSV file I get errors on. It has over 200,000 lines in it, and Garmin is still looking at it. I'm guessing there is a file length issue.

Actually, its not a bug, I've been in contact with Garmin on this. The new version of the POIloader is designed to handle CSV files differently.

When you break existing code/functionality it is a bug. In this case it sounds like it is an intentional, deliberate bug designed to upset lots of users. There is nothing mentioned in the release notes about this changed behavior. It is a bug, plain and simple.

Actually, its not a bug, I've been in contact with Garmin on this. The new version of the POIloader is designed to handle CSV files differently. You will need to update/fix your files for them to work with ALL new version of the POILoader in the future. Each column in the CSV file must now have less than 256 characters. Also, commas are no longer allowed in the description column.

To cut long columns, I opened it in excel, and used the "text to columns" feature and cut the column at 255 characters. I also used search and replace to replace all commas with semi-colons.

That being said, I still have 1 CSV file I get errors on. It has over 200,000 lines in it, and Garmin is still looking at it. I'm guessing there is a file length issue.

If it's not a bug it's a lack of intelligence. What would the reason be for Garmin to update a program so that it requires thousands of existing CSV files to have to be changed, it doesn't make sense.

Actually it is a bug pure and simple. Rule number one with software, don't break what already exists or remove functionality. Sounds like an inexperienced programmer without a proper regression test strategy.

I also was reading in the garmin forum about this reversed lat/long stuff which seems equally ill thought out. No-one seemed to really be able state exactly the rules but the idea about software automatically deciding which way around you had your values is barking mad. I would have no problems if it was based on headings.

After seeing the above post about v 2.6.1 I decided to install this version and test it with the same CSV files I was having trouble with in version 2.6.0. Well, I didn't get any errors this time with the new version. The CSV files had over a million points total and everything worked without an error message. As Lodgebarn implies, there may be problems that persist with v2.6.1 but the CSV file size problem introduced in v2.6.0 seems to have been fixed.

Anyone else that had problems with 2.6.0 I would invite to try the newer version out to try and get a concensus on whether or not the problems have really been ironed out. Usually when Garmin releases a version so quickly after one just released it means they fixed a bug from the previous.

Edited by yogazoo

After seeing the above post about v 2.6.1 I decided to install this version and test it with the same CSV files I was having trouble with in version 2.6.0. Well, I didn't get any errors this time with the new version. The CSV files had over a million points total and everything worked without an error message. As Lodgebarn implies, there may be problems that persist with v2.6.1 but the CSV file size problem introduced in v2.6.0 seems to have been fixed.

Anyone else that had problems with 2.6.0 I would invite to try the newer version out to try and get a concensus on whether or not the problems have really been ironed out. Usually when Garmin releases a version so quickly after one just released it means they fixed a bug from the previous.

After this post I did another test and found that I did have some names with an embedded double quote character. Removing them makes all work OK. The data was successfully processed by the 2.5.4 loader before. In theory I think the embedded quote is valid for a csv file. Since it was actually the creation logic not replacing them correctly then I am a lot happier with 2.6.1. I did also have one very long description field which still has an error. My tests showed the maximum accepted is 1005 chars so I truncated my data accordingly.