Cache owners purposely giving bad coords

Shrektrician

Particularly in urban neighborhoods, soft coords are just despicable. No excuse for them.

All traditionalal caches should have the most accurate coords that we can reasonably deliver.

Check this cache out. GC22N0E Riley's VRE Express. As per Geocaching.com (when you click on traditional cache icon) it does state: Traditional Cache This is the original cache type consisting, at a bare minimum, a container and a log book. Normally you'll find a tupperware container, ammo box, or bucket filled with goodies, or smaller container ("micro cache") too small to contain items except for a log book. The coordinates listed on the traditional cache page are the exact location for the cache.

However, it seems like this CO was determined to place the cache here (looking at previous logs), but this one should be regarded as Puzzle Cache at the very least. Otherwise he's sending cachers who play by the rules (looking at the "traditional cache" part) fruitlessly searching through the briars, swamp and every thing that could be magnetic or sticks out within a close proximity to the train station.

From the cache page: "IT'S ABOUT 300 FEET AWAY FROM THE POSTED COORDINATES."

I think I can guarantee you that was added after the reviewer published the cache. 300 feet? That would throw the proximity guidelines off not only for this cache, but for any others posted nearby. I would most definitely alert the reviewer about this one. That is just plain wrong for a traditional cache.

Looks like the reviewer is on it already.

The cache page reads as though the cache IS at those co-ords - but 300 feet above ground level? If that's the case, then surely it is within guidelines?

The parking lot near the coords is 50-60 ft tall tops. 300 ft would be 15 story building with 14 ft ceilings on each lvl (30 story building with regular commercial ceiling heights) Beside the point, the coords were taking us at least 120 ft away form the nearest corner of the building. Though we do not have thousands of finds, we're not rookies at this and usually can figure if there is a chance that the cache might have at different elevation then where we might think.

I know of one CO who lists bad coordinates and then blames every other cacher who can't find her caches. After all, her family FTF's her caches with no problems!

Even more slimey: Dare to complain about her bad coords and she deletes your FIND logs.

That said, most cache owners want their caches to be found. Good coordinates and the flexibility to change them when everyone else gets some other coordinate should be a must for the moral cacher. I cache with an ancient Meridian which sometimes doesn't get the best reception. When I can't get repeatable numbers, I try to give a generous hint so others can find the cahce. The game is supposed to be fun, right?

Report those "delitions" to the Local reviewers. Even though the CO "deletes" the log, it is still in the system "archived" and can be found when searched for. You can find your deleted log by following a link in the notification email sent to you when the log was deleted. Copy that link if you want and send it to the reviewer also. COs need to be fair and should if they can't self-monitor, they should be monitored by someone else.

So somebody places a cache with their GPS unit that has the same limitations of yours and you can't figure out their 15' accuracy (for example) plus your 15' equals 30 feet. Give it a rest already.

Oh, here we go again. :laughing:

So somebody places a cache with their GPS unit that has the same limitations of yours and you can't figure out their 15' accuracy (for example) plus your 15' equals 30 feet. Give it a rest already.

Oh, here we go again. :laughing:

I confess, I didn't read any posts between #1 and #52. :laughing: Actually I did but don't care too much. My bad. :P

You never fail to amaze me with your helpfulness. Give it a rest already.

So you're stalking me now? I'm flattered.

PS, pointing out 15' + 15' equals 30' actually is useful and might not be completely obvious when someone is standing in the woods, wet from rain, hungry and searching for a cache that is hidden in the shadows. :rolleyes:

Edited by dreamarcher

You never fail to amaze me with your helpfulness. Give it a rest already.

So you're stalking me now? I'm flattered.

PS, pointing out 15' + 15' equals 30' actually is useful and might not be completely obvious when someone is standing in the woods, wet from rain, hungry and searching for a cache that is hidden in the shadows. :rolleyes:

This thread is not about a 15 foot difference, or even a 30 foot difference. This thread is about "cache owners purposely giving bad coords". Read the thread's subject. Another example in this thread that you didn't read is actually stated by the owner on the cache page as being 300 feet off. So, your remark was not really helpful to the cases being discussed.

Unfortunately that conclusion is quite wrong. Dig into this thread for some insight and entertainment: http://forums.Ground...howtopic=268896

Thanks dfx ! Thats the thread I was talking about. I thought KC would link it.

Unfortunately that conclusion is quite wrong. Dig into this thread for some insight and entertainment: http://forums.Ground...howtopic=268896

Thanks dfx ! Thats the thread I was talking about. I thought KC would link it.

Thought about it for 0.13478 seconds, but I quickly realized who I would be going through all that trouble for, and what little it would do. Besides, in the real world, really... 15' + 15' does equal 30'.Or more. :lol:

I know of one CO who lists bad coordinates and then blames every other cacher who can't find her caches. After all, her family FTF's her caches with no problems!

Even more slimey: Dare to complain about her bad coords and she deletes your FIND logs.

That said, most cache owners want their caches to be found. Good coordinates and the flexibility to change them when everyone else gets some other coordinate should be a must for the moral cacher. I cache with an ancient Meridian which sometimes doesn't get the best reception. When I can't get repeatable numbers, I try to give a generous hint so others can find the cahce. The game is supposed to be fun, right?

Report those "delitions" to the Local reviewers. Even though the CO "deletes" the log, it is still in the system "archived" and can be found when searched for. You can find your deleted log by following a link in the notification email sent to you when the log was deleted. Copy that link if you want and send it to the reviewer also. COs need to be fair and should if they can't self-monitor, they should be monitored by someone else.

Just flogging a long dead horse. Everyone pretty much learned to just ignore her, even though she's still an active cache hider. It's just a game, right? Better to take the high road than to sink to her level.

One person I know temporarily put out a 'shared', 'public' bookmark list of all her caches with the title "Caches with known bad coordinates". Making it public and shared put the bookmark link on all of her cache pages. :laughing: