Backup GPS

Bigted1800

I am looking for a cheap option on a 2nd GPS for greater precision.

I have been geocaching for about 6 weeks now, just got my 100th last night.

I use my phone, which is a Garmin Asus Nufone A10, for the most part it is brilliant as I get to stay connected, post my logs, and even hit wikipedia when I get a clue like pittosporum (a tree called the japanese cheesewood, as it turn out..... I was still no wiser, but fortunately there was a photo)

When I am using the phone in the open it is very accurate +-1m and has been great in urban parks.

However I have at times become a little irked with the level of precision I get, especially under trees or near buildings and trying to follow a pointer that is changing its mind every few steps, with a level of accuracy of 7m, while trying not to attract attention from muggles is frustrating to say the least.

Also a good part of the reason for choosing this hobby is that I want to get out of town now and again, but my last venture off pavement was a disaster as my accuracy under heavy tree cover varied between 15 and 21 m, meaning I quickly gave up.

The patch of blackberry I was not supposed to end up had alot to do with that.

I know that there will always be problems with trees and buildings, but I think a handheld GPS could take a major support role in what I am trying to do, it could be friends with my phone and it would save my phone from having its feelings hurt, as I suspect it is beginning to understand some of the things I have been saying to it and it is starting to get depressed.

Any way, can somebody recommend some brands and models of cheap new or second hand GPS units that could fill this role for me? Maps, cache lists etc are already taken care of by the phone, so I can do without all the bells and whistles, I just want to turn it on when I am close to the cache, type in the exact co-ordinates and have it accurately point me the rest of the way if my phone seems to be having trouble due to interference, of if my phone starts playing up when I venture outside network range.

Thankyou.

Ted.

I use my phone, which is a Garmin Asus Nufone A10, for the most part it is brilliant as I get to stay connected, post my logs, and even hit wikipedia when I get a clue like pittosporum (a tree called the japanese cheesewood, as it turn out..... I was still no wiser, but fortunately there was a photo)

When I am using the phone in the open it is very accurate +-1m and has been great in urban parks.

However I have at times become a little irked with the level of precision I get, especially under trees or near buildings and trying to follow a pointer that is changing its mind every few steps, with a level of accuracy of 7m, while trying not to attract attention from muggles is frustrating to say the least.

Also a good part of the reason for choosing this hobby is that I want to get out of town now and again, but my last venture off pavement was a disaster as my accuracy under heavy tree cover varied between 15 and 21 m, meaning I quickly gave up.

I know that there will always be problems with trees and buildings, but I think a handheld GPS could take a major support role in what I am trying to do, it could be friends with my phone and it would save my phone from having its feelings hurt, as I suspect it is beginning to understand some of the things I have been saying to it and it is starting to get depressed.

Any way, can somebody recommend some brands and models of cheap new or second hand GPS units that could fill this role for me? Maps, cache lists etc are already taken care of by the phone, so I can do without all the bells and whistles, I just want to turn it on when I am close to the cache, type in the exact co-ordinates and have it accurately point me the rest of the way if my phone seems to be having trouble due to interference, of if my phone starts playing up when I venture outside network range.

Thankyou.

Ted.

Hi Ted cant really go wrong with an Etrex H .. It will work anywere and exceptional receiver and rugged and excellent battery life.

Thankyou.

Ted.

Hi Ted cant really go wrong with an Etrex H .. It will work anywere and exceptional receiver and rugged and excellent battery life.

Awesome, Thankyou, I have been researching it and the etrex h is the model I have highlighted as the best for my needs, it is great to have your independent confirmation.

I'll be pricing new ones this weekend, I am already watching auctions on trademe to gauge the 2nd hand market, but unless I'm saving over 50% I'll probably reduce my risk and just buy new, and it looks like Garmin holds their value too well for me to choose to buy 2nd hand.

I'll just have to save for a little longer, but its better than ending up with a lemon.

Ted.

...snip...

Thankyou.

Ted.

Awesome, Thankyou, I have been researching it and the etrex h is the model I have highlighted as the best for my needs, it is great to have your independent confirmation.

I'll be pricing new ones this weekend, I am already watching auctions on trademe to gauge the 2nd hand market, but unless I'm saving over 50% I'll probably reduce my risk and just buy new, and it looks like Garmin holds their value too well for me to choose to buy 2nd hand.

I'll just have to save for a little longer, but its better than ending up with a lemon.

Ted.

Speaking of lemons, pittosporum is beter know in NZ as lemonwood (or tarata) :lol: