Pocket query title as file names?

trippy1976

When I set up a pocket query, I name it "Nearby unfound" or something similar. When I get it, everything is 22343.zip and the GPX files are named the same way.

Would it be possible to have the file names be the title of the query? Maybe it was tried and backfired, but it would sure be nice to look at a directory of GPX files and know which is which instead of 4991.gpx and 1664.gpx.

The email has their name in it and yeah... I could rename them myself. But I was curious if this would be possible.

--------

trippy1976 - Team KKF2A

Assimilating golf balls - one geocache at a time.

Flat_MiGeo_A88.gif

quote:
Originally posted by hammack:

Don't know, but gc.com may have to put a unique identifier on it. That would explain the meaningless number.

My guess is that the result files are saved to a disk and then emailed. The number assigned appears to just be sequential and not any special code. If they used the title you gave it, how would your 'nearby unfound' be unique from my 'nearby unfound'?

"They don't serve breakfast in hell" - newsboys

When I set up 5 queries for 5 towns along a route I was wishing the same thing. I should have renamed the queries from what they were so when the email sending them to me did, I'd have some clue what town went to what file.

There must be a reason for it, but I agree. Maybe the user name with the unique number tagged on?

There is probably a reason it's done that way.

They probably number everything to be consistent. If everyone zipped the files, they could number the zips and name the compressed files they contain.

It's only a small hassle to rename the files, I was just wondering if it would be possible to eliminate the need to. Probably ranks on the 'nice to have' list in the scheme of things.

--------

trippy1976 - Team KKF2A

Assimilating golf balls - one geocache at a time.

Flat_MiGeo_A88.gif

This was requested before PQ's came out of beta.

Personally, I handle this in my ~/.procmailrc with a recipie that hands them off to a program that contains:

SUBJECT=$(formail -xSubject: < ${TMPDIR}/inputf | sed 's/^.*[GEO] Files for: //')

Then when munpack is called, it explodes into $SUBJECT and my GPX files all land in a directory, sensibly named, and ready to roll with zero human intervention.

How you do this on other OSes is left as an exercise for the reader.

Another concern is file names on different operating systems allow or disallow certain characters and/or lengths of file names. It's pretty safe to send a numerical named file, though. No spaces, no quotation marks, no tildas. Safe, fast, and easy. Hey, works for me.

quote:
Originally posted by T-Mac GH:

quote:
Originally posted by hammack:

Don't know, but gc.com may have to put a unique identifier on it. That would explain the meaningless number.

My guess is that the result files are saved to a disk and then emailed. The number assigned appears to just be sequential and not any special code. If they used the title you gave it, how would your 'nearby unfound' be unique from my 'nearby unfound'?

"They don't serve breakfast in hell" - newsboys

You can leave the unique number at the end or start of the subject concat'd with the name you give it. Still unique but easier for the cacher to organize.

Kenneth

quote:
Originally posted by robertlipe:

This was requested before PQ's came out of beta.

Personally, I handle this in my ~/.procmailrc with a recipie that hands them off to a program that contains:

SUBJECT=$(formail -xSubject: < ${TMPDIR}/inputf | sed 's/^.*[GEO] Files for: //')

Then when munpack is called, it explodes into $SUBJECT and my GPX files all land in a directory, sensibly named, and ready to roll with zero human intervention.

How you do this on other OSes is left as an exercise for the reader.

Ah! Another reason to get off Windows. Funny that I'm an MCSE and make a living off it, but keep seeing more and more signs that I really need to work with Linux.

I thought about doing this with Outlook and VB, but what a mess.....

Kenneth