Quick Hamilton Layover

mrcanoehead224

Hey all, my flight was changed a bit and I've now got just under three hours in Hamilton on Saturday (2 to 5ish). I was hoping to get out and grab a few caches so I can add Ontario to my map (and get a souvenir as well).

I see there are two trads and a multi that would almost be walking distance from the airport. I was hoping to get a puzzle (maybe the library cache?) and maybe a virtual or EarthCache too.

Does this sound do-able? I'd have to get a taxi or something of course. Unless anyone wants to go caching with an Albertan? Any feedback would be appreciated.

Hey all, my flight was changed a bit and I've now got just under three hours in Hamilton on Saturday (2 to 5ish). I was hoping to get out and grab a few caches so I can add Ontario to my map (and get a souvenir as well).

snip....

Any feedback would be appreciated.

You might be well advised to watch times for rechecking in... it's one thing to sit in a lounge and another to leave the site...

At least you wouldn't have serious baggage to worry about... but it still takes time to re enter. That said, I think I'd stay to the close in ones... multi last, or just think about it as you head for the trad out there... then go back. I always do the furthest first and work back... instead of getting further away... just thinking.

Doug 7rxc

You might be well advised to watch times for rechecking in... it's one thing to sit in a lounge and another to leave the site...

At least you wouldn't have serious baggage to worry about... but it still takes time to re enter. That said, I think I'd stay to the close in ones... multi last, or just think about it as you head for the trad out there... then go back. I always do the furthest first and work back... instead of getting further away... just thinking.

Doug 7rxc

my thoughts too, head out and work back. I have a coworker with family in Ancaster so he's quite familiar with the airport, says security and customs shouldn't be a big time thing. Of course I say I've got three hours but was only thinking about being out less than two. My sister and her kids will stay at the terminal with my daughters so I can travel light.

So we get to Hamilton and find out our flight to Orlando is delayed an extra 45 minutes. That gave me the incentive I needed to venture out a bit. I'm trying to keep my percentage of puzzles around 10% so I thought I'd go for the library cache. My older daughter and I grab a cab and head out. Get to the library and find the right location but nothing that looks like a cache. Ask the staff, finally on the third person, they say 'oh yeah, we found that, it can't be here, we threw it out...' which gave me a $42 DNF. Arriving back at the terminal, I still have time to kill so I set off by myself for the closest one. It was a brisk 1 km walk right into the wind but still much warmer than what we left in Calgary earlier that day. Arrived at GZ, signed the log, earned my ON souvenir and headed back. As I stepped from the snow bank in the ditch back to the road, my foot fell through and I soaked my boot in ice water. Fortunately with the wind at my back and wool socks on my feet, it was more pleasant and back at the terminal I had plenty of time to dry out.

Next time I'm in Ontario, I'll have time to attempt more than two caches.

When around an airport, ask the pilots about 'sucker holes'. That extra time was one of those. Just a little tempting to attempt the difficult or impossible... which then rapidly evaporates leaving you holding the unholdable. Often with dire circumstances... sorry about your DNF and wet feet on the other... You might have had 3 and wet feet based on your original planning. At least the plane didn't go back to the original departure time as well... that happens sometimes too!

Doug 7rxc