Wenatchee Cache Machine II

travisl

(Note: circumstances may change after this initial posting. Look for my posts (with the icon13.gif icon) in this thread for all the important details and changes.) (Link to dinner event cache.)

Wenatchee is the Apple Capital of the World. They don't stop bragging about their 300 days of sunshine each year. And with 225+ caches within 3.4 miles of downtown, there's gonna be a lot of caching going on. This is a cache-dense area.

Fill up the tank, toss down some breakfast at way-too-early o'clock, and meet a mob of fellow cachers at sunrise on Saturday, March 26, at 6:30 a.m.

Follow all traffic laws, and drive safely. This is not a race; there are no winners. The only loser will be someone who gets hurt.

If you're still out on the road at dinner time (7:30 p.m.), skip the rest of the route and come on in. Socializing at dinner is one of the best parts of machine events (and that's coming from me -- someone who usually hates socializing). There will be travel bugs to discover, a buffet to gorge yourself, and more geocachers to commiserate with than you can shake a walking stick at. The most important rule:

As with all cache machines, if you find the cache, you'll be the one who has to re-hide it. Hide it as well as you found it.

For any micro cache with a tiny logbook that we find on the event, one "WCM2" log entry should suffice for the group. We tend to fill up log books too quickly, and our stickers tend to make micro log books hard to re-stash. For normal-sized caches, or even large micros (like key holders and pill bottles), everyone should sign in.

If you’ve already found a couple of these caches, that’s fine - give us a chance to find the cache, and then we may turn to you for a hint. Suggestions and ''Count me ins'' are welcome on the event page.

----

The Wenatchee Cache Machine II FAQ:

When is it?

6:30 a.m., Saturday, March 26, 2011. Latecomers can track us down en route.

Will it be one large group, will we be split into teams, or what?

We start the day as one giant group. Then it's on to the next one as a group, which means we'll hopefully find each cache quickly. The group tends to fragment after the first few caches, though. The longer we can keep the big group together, the more fun it is!

Where does the route start?

I should have the final route posted on Monday, March 21. It's likely, however, that it will start close to the dinner location in an area with lots of parking (probably GC19WFX Mugglicious).

Is anything going on before, during, or after?

- Friday, March 25, at 6:30 p.m.: A pre-CM dinner will be at Abby's Pizza, 702 Grant Rd, East Wenatchee, N 47° 24.340', W 120° 16.733'. We'll mingle and discuss last minute changes. Keep an eye on the thread below in case this changes.

- Saturday, March 26, at 7:30 p.m., dinner will be at Super China Star Buffet, 201 Valley Mall Parkway, East Wenatchee. (N 47° 24.510 W 120° 17.241). I've created an event page for this dinner event.

- Sunday, sleep in and then get the caches you didn't get on Saturday. Did I mention there's a lot of them?

A cache on your map shows the wrong place to park.

Let me know, and I'll incorporate it into the route.

It sounds fun, but I've already found some of them.

Then come laugh at us, or guess when we'll be at the caches you haven't hit yet.

You don't have X cache on the route. Why aren't we getting that one?

I'm skipping a lot. I'll be avoiding most multicaches, most puzzle caches, caches that appear to be overly time consuming, and caches that the owner has asked us to avoid.

You have X cache on the route, but it's disabled/archived/a two mile hike.

Let me know, and I'll remove it from the route (if archived) or will check with the owner (if disabled).

X cache is in an environmentally sensitive area.

By all means, let me know. I'll work with the cache owner to minimize our impact, or skip the cache altogether.

I disagree with the whole idea of cache machines. I don't want you finding my cache.

Sorry to hear that. It's too bad you've got a neat place to show us that we won't be able to see. Let me know, and I'll remove it from the route.

What's this gonna cost me?

Nothing for the caching. Or, at least, nothing more than it would cost than if you did the trip solo (e.g., paying for your own gas, hotel, and dinner). I'm not collecting any money for this.

Lunch? Breaks? Bathrooms?

Lunch: You should probably bring a sack lunch to eat on the road.

Breaks and Bathrooms: There's no breaks in cache machines! Just hold it. :-P Or find something on the way.

Rain? Snow? Landslides? Flooding?

Could be. Do what you safely can, and skip ahead when reality or your capabilities don't match the plan. Be prepared and flexible.

What do the map symbols mean?

ce16d180-40c2-423d-a3ab-b976b7b4a2b2.jpg

(Note: circumstances may change after this initial posting. Look for my posts (with the icon13.gif icon) in this thread for all the important details and changes.) (Link to dinner event cache.)

Wenatchee is the Apple Capital of the World. They don't stop bragging about their 300 days of sunshine each year. And with 225+ caches within 3.4 miles of downtown, there's gonna be a lot of caching going on. This is a cache-dense area.

Fill up the tank, toss down some breakfast at way-too-early o'clock, and meet a mob of fellow cachers at sunrise on Saturday, March 26, at 6:30 a.m.

Follow all traffic laws, and drive safely. This is not a race; there are no winners. The only loser will be someone who gets hurt.

If you're still out on the road at dinner time (7:30 p.m.), skip the rest of the route and come on in. Socializing at dinner is one of the best parts of machine events (and that's coming from me -- someone who usually hates socializing). There will be travel bugs to discover, a buffet to gorge yourself, and more geocachers to commiserate with than you can shake a walking stick at. The most important rule:

As with all cache machines, if you find the cache, you'll be the one who has to re-hide it. Hide it as well as you found it.

For any micro cache with a tiny logbook that we find on the event, one "WCM2" log entry should suffice for the group. We tend to fill up log books too quickly, and our stickers tend to make micro log books hard to re-stash. For normal-sized caches, or even large micros (like key holders and pill bottles), everyone should sign in.

If you’ve already found a couple of these caches, that’s fine - give us a chance to find the cache, and then we may turn to you for a hint. Suggestions and ''Count me ins'' are welcome on the event page.

----

The Wenatchee Cache Machine II FAQ:

When is it?

6:30 a.m., Saturday, March 26, 2011. Latecomers can track us down en route.

Will it be one large group, will we be split into teams, or what?

We start the day as one giant group. Then it's on to the next one as a group, which means we'll hopefully find each cache quickly. The group tends to fragment after the first few caches, though. The longer we can keep the big group together, the more fun it is!

Where does the route start?

I should have the final route posted on Monday, March 21. It's likely, however, that it will start close to the dinner location in an area with lots of parking (probably GC19WFX Mugglicious).

Is anything going on before, during, or after?

- Friday, March 25, at 6:30 p.m.: A pre-CM dinner will be at Abby's Pizza, 702 Grant Rd, East Wenatchee, N 47° 24.340', W 120° 16.733'. We'll mingle and discuss last minute changes. Keep an eye on the thread below in case this changes.

- Saturday, March 26, at 7:30 p.m., dinner will be at Super China Star Buffet, 201 Valley Mall Parkway, East Wenatchee. (N 47° 24.510 W 120° 17.241). I've created an event page for this dinner event.

- Sunday, sleep in and then get the caches you didn't get on Saturday. Did I mention there's a lot of them?

A cache on your map shows the wrong place to park.

Let me know, and I'll incorporate it into the route.

It sounds fun, but I've already found some of them.

Then come laugh at us, or guess when we'll be at the caches you haven't hit yet.

You don't have X cache on the route. Why aren't we getting that one?

I'm skipping a lot. I'll be avoiding most multicaches, most puzzle caches, caches that appear to be overly time consuming, and caches that the owner has asked us to avoid.

You have X cache on the route, but it's disabled/archived/a two mile hike.

Let me know, and I'll remove it from the route (if archived) or will check with the owner (if disabled).

X cache is in an environmentally sensitive area.

By all means, let me know. I'll work with the cache owner to minimize our impact, or skip the cache altogether.

I disagree with the whole idea of cache machines. I don't want you finding my cache.

Sorry to hear that. It's too bad you've got a neat place to show us that we won't be able to see. Let me know, and I'll remove it from the route.

What's this gonna cost me?

Nothing for the caching. Or, at least, nothing more than it would cost than if you did the trip solo (e.g., paying for your own gas, hotel, and dinner). I'm not collecting any money for this.

Lunch? Breaks? Bathrooms?

Lunch: You should probably bring a sack lunch to eat on the road.

Breaks and Bathrooms: There's no breaks in cache machines! Just hold it. :-P Or find something on the way.

Rain? Snow? Landslides? Flooding?

Could be. Do what you safely can, and skip ahead when reality or your capabilities don't match the plan. Be prepared and flexible.

What do the map symbols mean?

ce16d180-40c2-423d-a3ab-b976b7b4a2b2.jpg

I plan to be there!

Yay! Have had a room reserved (refundable) for quite a while now, but hoping you'll have a better group deal available somewhere??

I'll keep my eyes open, but for now, I'm slowly climbing the Priceline ladder. Looks like it's probably at about $50 a night; I'm at $30, and am trying $2 more each day, so I'll probably get a room in 10 days or so.

Then again, I'm seeing the Travelodge for $47 $44 with corporate code 67243, and it's getting decent reviews on TripAdvisor, so I may try that one, instead, if Priceline gets close. I've made refundable reservations there as a standby, if Priceline doesn't get me a better place for cheaper.

Edited by travisl

I'm a strong maybe at this point since I'm short a team at this point. If I do end up going, do any locals have advice on camping? Looks like there is the confluence park just north of wenatchee and then another park along the river further north on the east side of the river. Though I suppose $44 for a night in a warm room isn't THAT bad either...

Yay! Have had a room reserved (refundable) for quite a while now, but hoping you'll have a better group deal available somewhere??

I'll keep my eyes open, but for now, I'm slowly climbing the Priceline ladder. Looks like it's probably at about $50 a night; I'm at $30, and am trying $2 more each day, so I'll probably get a room in 10 days or so.

Then again, I'm seeing the Travelodge for $47 $44 with corporate code 67243, and it's getting decent reviews on TripAdvisor, so I may try that one, instead, if Priceline gets close. I've made refundable reservations there as a standby, if Priceline doesn't get me a better place for cheaper.

Yep, I checked TripAdvisor & went with Travelodge too when I made reservations back in October, but cost for us (corporate rate) is $52 for 2 queens. I was bidding priceline 3 star (for Coast Hotel) for around $50 earlier this month but no luck. Haven't tried this week. The price should drop the closer we get to the dates, I imagine. Oh - and thanks for that link :D I've not seen that site before - very useful!

Edited by Lizzy

Hey Everyone,

I wanted to share that I was able to get a 3 1/2 star room (Red Lion Wenatchee) for $45 a night on priceline today. To me that is a great deal. The other major sites are showing $90 per night at the Red Lion. Try if you can. Let me know if it works for someone else!

Kaleb

PaneledZero

Edited by PaneledZero

Hey Everyone,

I wanted to share that I was able to get a 3 1/2 star room (Red Lion Wenatchee) for $45 a night a on priceline today. To me that is a great deal. The other major sites are showing $90 per night at the Red Lion. Try if you can. Let me know if it works for someone else!

Kaleb

PaneledZero

Since I don't have the patience for Priceline and I do have a Choice Hotels card, I booked at the Econo Lodge for $50/night AAA rate and I get Choice Rewards points. (I admit, the Red Lion for $45 sounds better.)

Thank you PaneledZero! I went ahead & tried $41 on Priceline & got the Red Lion ($101.22) total. I figured I had 2 shots today for a decent rate, so tried underbidding just a bit. See you all there! Poor Travelodge... :lol:

I am glad it worked out. I paid ($110.36) for two nights. I have to say I was surprised that they accepted that price ($45). I am glad that you and Travis got it lower. The $10 difference between you guys and me still isnt a big deal (to me). The place looks nice, not saying the Travelodge isnt.

As a few folks have noted in dinner responses and e-mails to me, everyone heading to Wenatchee should be aware that the area managed by the Chelan County PUD and the Chelan-Douglas Land Trust, which is essentially most of the hills west of town, are closed to public access until April 1. Caches within 15 feet or so of Horselake Road should be fine, but don't make plans to go hiking in these hills on Friday or Sunday.

The Navigatorz posted a great map created by www.wenatcheeoutdoors.org in a thread two years ago. I've duplicated it below. I've been e-mailing the stewardship coordinator of the CDLT, and while I'm still unclear whether the BLM land is officially closed or whether it's merely CDLT's preference that we not stray far from the road in BLM land not under their control, I'm more than happy to oblige them, as they have given some very valid reasons.

Can someone who has visited these three caches tell me how far off road they are?

SageHills-MtnBike-2009.JPG

Can someone who has visited these three caches tell me how far off road they are?

•Columbia River: Geology Drama

•Panorama 2

•Imagine That, She Swallowed a Cat!

They are a few minutes walk from the parking area but it is a long steep climb up to the parking area with a limited amount of parking available. In good weather it would not be an issue but if its wet it can be muddy.

•Columbia River: Geology Drama

•Panorama 2

•Imagine That, She Swallowed a Cat!

They are a few minutes walk from the parking area but it is a long steep climb up to the parking area with a limited amount of parking available. In good weather it would not be an issue but if its wet it can be muddy.

Yeah, I don't think they'd be the best choices for a cache run.

We are in the made our hotel reservations over a month ago group. I get pretty excited about cache machines so I like to have that reservation in early. We've chosen the Holiday Inn Express, I'm a super duper priority club member with a bus load of points so it brings the price down a lot. And can't wait!!!!!!!

Edited by SirKarp

I've just posted draft number 2. It removes most of the caches along Horselake Road due to closure, mud, or length-of-drive (get them on Friday or Sunday! Great views!), and adds a trio near the country club.

I've also hand-drawn trails into a few spots, as I was getting confused about which parking spots were set up for which caches. There's also a bit of re-sequencing. Yes, stops 82 and 83 are in the spots I want them -- #82 (GC14KAT My Town) is on the wrong side of a divided highway, and #83 is a logical turn-around spot.

Members-only caches are marked with a new icon but are still on the route: 246450bb-9149-487e-8973-31d9bedf7ccc.jpg Thanks for pointing them out, JHolly.

I'll post the final route on Monday, March 21. Any changes after then will be announced at the unofficial pre-event dinner on Friday, and then here shortly thereafter.

(Edit: I forgot to mark #96 (GCNQMK SIGNATURE CACHE) as out of commission. Mr. Gadget #2's log says he might try to get it back up and running by the CM, so I think we're still good.)

Edited by travisl

I've just posted draft number 2. It removes most of the caches along Horselake Road due to closure, mud, or length-of-drive (get them on Friday or Sunday! Great views!), and adds a trio near the country club.

I've also hand-drawn trails into a few spots, as I was getting confused about which parking spots were set up for which caches. There's also a bit of re-sequencing. Yes, stops 82 and 83 are in the spots I want them -- #82 (GC14KAT My Town) is on the wrong side of a divided highway, and #83 is a logical turn-around spot.

Members-only caches are marked with a new icon but are still on the route: 246450bb-9149-487e-8973-31d9bedf7ccc.jpg Thanks for pointing them out, JHolly.

I'll post the final route on Monday, March 21. Any changes after then will be announced at the unofficial pre-event dinner on Friday, and then here shortly thereafter.

(Edit: I forgot to mark #96 (GCNQMK SIGNATURE CACHE) as out of commission. Mr. Gadget #2's log says he might try to get it back up and running by the CM, so I think we're still good.)

With the site downtime imminent, it will not be until later this afternoon or evening before I update the bookmark.

Nice icon for the PMO caches, Travis.

Just wondering...what's the weather like there now and the forecast, if it's available? Snow? As you can tell, we don't really know the area, but with 200 days of sunshine, I'm hoping there's no snow and lots of warm, sunny weather!

Edited by julebear

It's still too far out for anything resembling a reliable forecast. The weather on March 26 for the last several years, though, are:

Year  Lo Hi Rain MaxWindGust(mph)
2010: 39 58 0.00 33 
2009: 25 43 0.00 56 
2008: 29 46 1.3 (snow) 22 
2007: 31 53 Trac 20 
2006: 39 54 0.00 21 
2005: 39 44 0.00 22 
2004: 36 52 0.00 24 
2003: 36 55 0.00 38 
2002: 36 57 0.00 38 
2001: 37 53 0.00 32 
2000: 36 57 0.02 NA 
1999: 39 50 0.00 38 
1998: 37 55 0.00 37 

(source)

It's been back and forth, back and forth. Every few days, it seems, it will snow in the morning and be bright and sunny by mid day. Today was almost 50 degrees, but windy. Rained hard last night, and tonight the wind's very strong. Typical spring, I suppose. Hopefully it will be a nice day for the Event, but you just have to pack and plan for anything.

Where and what time is the pre-event unofficial dinner?
- Friday, March 25, at 6:30 p.m.: A pre-CM dinner will be at Abby's Pizza, 702 Grant Rd, East Wenatchee, N 47° 24.340', W 120° 16.733'.

I'm still awaiting final confirmation from Abby's (I got a "we'll be in contact with you" e-mail on Saturday), but for now, that's when and where.

- Friday, March 25, at 6:30 p.m.: A pre-CM dinner will be at Abby's Pizza, 702 Grant Rd, East Wenatchee, N 47° 24.340', W 120° 16.733'.

I'm still awaiting final confirmation from Abby's (I got a "we'll be in contact with you" e-mail on Saturday), but for now, that's when and where.

Huh? Ohhhh.... never mind. :lol:

A bit confused, there? :laughing:

Is there a trailhead to the Apple Capital Loop trail in East Wenatchee at 15th Street? This map from last September shows that there is. This map, undated but official, doesn't show it. Trees are in the way of Google/Bing/Mapquest's satellite view. A June 1997 article near the bottom of this page says there is, but that was nearly 14 years ago.

Without physically going there and checking, I'm pretty sure that's the spot that has enough room for about one car to park.

Is there a trailhead to the Apple Capital Loop trail in East Wenatchee at 15th Street? This map from last September shows that there is. This map, undated but official, doesn't show it. Trees are in the way of Google/Bing/Mapquest's satellite view. A June 1997 article near the bottom of this page says there is, but that was nearly 14 years ago.

Without physically going there and checking, I'm pretty sure that's the spot that has enough room for about one car to park.

I'm pretty sure that's the spot that the road narrows down to a dead end, with a pull out sort of in front of someone's home. I always feel uncomfortable parking there because I feel like I'm practically in their yard.

This map, undated but official, doesn't show it.
Not sure if this is what you are looking for or not. ... which then linked me to the map

Hope this helps.

It seems somewhat familiar :lol:

I'm pretty sure that's the spot that the road narrows down to a dead end, with a pull out sort of in front of someone's home. I always feel uncomfortable parking there because I feel like I'm practically in their yard.

Good enough for me. That'll add two caches to the route, and it's late enough in the day that I don't expect much of a crowd.

Just spoke to you... er... them. It's on!

Edited by travisl