So are folks still taking pictures?

Lostby7

I'm curious how many folks are choosing to upload pictures on your ECs since the change in the picture requirement took place?

For those who do not know, pictures must now be optional except in rare cases (to be determined by the EC reviewers). This is NOT a thread to debate the photo requirement and as to weather it should have been changed or not. If the thread heads that way I ask now that an Admin please close the thread.

Since the first of Jan when the photo requirement changed one of my caches has been found 8 times. One person has uploaded a photo.

...again not looking for debate about the policy change, just to see how / if the change has changed the way folks log your ECs.

This is NOT a thread to debate the photo requirement and as to weather it should have been changed or not.

Good luck! :lol:

On topic: we upload pics when the EC asks for it, and sometimes even when it doesn't.

Edited by dfx
This is NOT a thread to debate the photo requirement and as to weather it should have been changed or not.

Good luck! :lol:

I know.....I'm hoping for a batch of high road answers. I honestly want to see if logging habits have changed and what the result of the change has been....of the one person who did log a picture on my EC, it wasn't even the location of my EC so I guess even that doesn't really count. I guess I have 0 for 8 folks logging pics since the change was made.

I'm hoping for a batch of high road answers. I honestly want to see if logging habits have changed and what the result of the change has been....of the one person who did log a picture on my EC, it wasn't even the location of my EC so I guess even that doesn't really count. I guess I have 0 for 8 folks logging pics since the change was made.

I am not exactly sure whether I am allowed to answer as I am not owning an EC. In my region the logging habits have changed in a moderate way depending on the EC (at least from what I can say right now - the typical EC season will start when it gets warmer again).

Those who have not dealt with Earthcaches in detail, are often not even aware of the change (most old EC descriptions have not been updated) and thus are logging with photographs.

Among those who are aware of the change, it depends on the situation. In case one has visited the EC location at a previous occasion before the EC existed, the new guidelines make logs easier. Typically the questions asked are not very specific and can be answered when one knows the location, but providing a photograph with a specific content is much more difficult without a new visit.

Personally, I will still upload a photo when I have my camera with me, but will not feel guilty if I forget it at home. (I normally do not take a camera with me for caching, only for specific caches.) When going for an EC by bicycle, I will in the future leave the camera at home as this is more convenient. Yesterday, I wrote a log of another cacher for a recent EC and he wrote that he felt too cold to take a photo (he was coming by bicycle as well).

Cezanne

I'm curious how many folks are choosing to upload pictures on your ECs since the change in the picture requirement took place?

If taken as a whole, about fifty percent. Not all of them had photo requirements, and even then it was simply a photo of the geological feature, so there was perhaps less of a change with these than with some of the others. Most of my ecs are in very scenic locations so I am not sure what the difference is from one to another.

I always have a camera with me (either cell phone or a dedicated camera) so I generally log pictures to an earthcache if it presents any reasonable photo op. If the cache has an optional photo requirement (in lieu of another task), I generally go with the picture. If the cache states that the photo is optional but might be necessary to save your log, I always take a picture.

Edited by mulvaney

We continue to add photos to any EarthCaches that request them, and some that don't. It looks as if most of the ones we own also continue to have photos added, although occasionally we get an odd one or two. EarthCaches in general take us to places where you'd want to take photos anyway. I've never loved the "stare at the camera and hold up your GPSr" ones, so for most of ours, we like seeing photos of people enjoying the area, or even just nice photos of the landscape.

I guess we figure if the cache owner went to the effort to do the work of setting these up, we can thank them by honoring their logging requirements.

Again this thread is NOT about weather you (dis)agree with the rule change or weather you like your picture posted. This thread is asking EarthCache owners if there has been a change in the logging habits of people when it comes to uploading pictures. Please stay on topic.

As with any other cache I visit, if I see something of interest and take a photo, I'll upload it with my log. As an EC owner who has removed the photo logging requirements, I still very much enjoy seeing photos that visitors post.

Ditto for me. I have removed the photo requirement but enjoy seeing photos with logs. I try to upload photos with my logs too. I personally believe that if you enjoyed the cache and had a camera handy then a photo is not too much of a hassle. Even for traditional caches I will upload a photo if I believe the cache deserves one.

Ditto for me. I have removed the photo requirement but enjoy seeing photos with logs. I try to upload photos with my logs too. I personally believe that if you enjoyed the cache and had a camera handy then a photo is not too much of a hassle. Even for traditional caches I will upload a photo if I believe the cache deserves one.

I typically enjoy those photos which are not the result of a logging requirement and are taken by people who enjoy taking photos.

I neither enjoy to take nor enjoy to look at the typical

compulsory EC photos like this one

http://img.geocaching.com/cache/log/ffca02e5-157a-4374-84b4-427ca3cfddb4.jpg

If I happen to visit this EC

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=3aa20d5a-adb7-4521-9843-93715dd2b773

I will post a photo or maybe two if I have my camera with me and if the photo has something to offer.

As you see, due to the change of the logging requirements, some visitors do not post photos at all and some others decide to upload general photos, not just those

0815 cacher/GPS photographs of which one gets easily tired of.

This cache is a typical example for ECs in my region. Some percentage of cachers decide to refrain from posting those boring GPS photos.

Cezanne

Could an ADMIN please close this thread...it has wondered off topic a few too many times. I do not wish to see it devolve.

Why it is for your relevant whether someone replies to your question taking into account his own Earthcaches or Earthcaches of others?

By just waiting for answers from Earthcache creators you will never get a more complete picture of the effects worldwide.

The example I have posted in my contribution above is a typical example from my home area that I have chosen after some consideration.

Cezanne

I haven't really noticed a change. My Canadian Earthcaches are not being logged much these days, but I also own one in Queenstown, New Zealand which gets visited very frequently. Photos have always been an optional task on that EarthCache and people post a photo about 2/3 of the time. This hasn't changed since the updated guidelines.