Being notified of new caches

pdumas

quote:
Originally posted by pdumas:

So far in the last few days there has been two new caches in my area but I have not been notified by e-mail. Is there something I'm doing wrong are is there a bug, everything looks right on my cache page.

quote:
Originally posted by pdumas:

So in the last few days there has been two new caches in my area but I have not been notified by e-mail. Is there something I'm do wrong are is there a bug, everything looks right on my cache page.

Are you sure that this box is checked on your profile page?

"Check this box if you want to be notified when new caches appear in your area. This notification is sent out each Thursday."

It will come out sometime today... you don't get a notification every time a new cache pops up, just one "summary" on Thursday.

> Martin (Magellan 330)

Don't have time to program and record your shows while geocaching? Get a TiVo!

New cache notification are grouped together into a single email and sent out once a week.

There does seem to have been a problem with the email last weekend. I got far fewer email from my watch list than normal (especially when the weather was nice). Then Sunday night, I got about 15 within a 10 minute period.

PS_sig.gif

I wish we could choose the day that our new cache email went out. I assume Thursday was picked since most cachers would be out on Saturday and Sunday. I, on the other hand, am usually out on Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday. I would miss all of the caches people placed over the weekend. I don't bother with the email notification. Besides, I usually check the site at least once a day. Having cache notifications sent on different days would also spread out the load on the mail server too.

rdw

Because they all go out on one day (in theory) they probably put a little extra load on the server.

If the "from your home coordinates" search had an option to sort by date hidden then the mailing might almost become redundant. I think I'd stop getting the mailing if I could spot the new caches without paging all the way through the list, anyway.

Another helpful option for any search result s page would be to not list found and owned caches at all.

Purrs... LazyLeopard