Stolen Geocaches

kywaterfowler

On Jan. 8th my new travel bug hotel geocache was published and sometime between Feb. 6th and Feb. 12th the geocache has been stolen. The sad part is it had two travel bugs and one geocoin still in it. I have alerted the owners that they may want to mark them as being missing. I have now archived that geocache as I look at as if it was stolen once it will more than likely be stolen again. I am in the process of getting another travel bug hotel approved a few miles away from the one that was stolen.

I've had a few stolen - ammo can's of course. I had one stolen and foolishly replaced it. D'Oh! Another ammo can gone. I had one go missing recently that there was no good reason in the world for a muggle to have found. I'd guess it was either put back totally wrong (completely exposed) or else someone wasn't at all discrete when finding the cache and was observed doing so. I archived it. I'm not in the business of supplying ammo cans for others. I replaced an ammo can cache for a local cacher who was out with 2 broken ankles and it was then stolen again.

I'm must be weird. I was always taught not to take things that don't belong to me.

I've had a few stolen - ammo can's of course. I had one stolen and foolishly replaced it. D'Oh! Another ammo can gone. I had one go missing recently that there was no good reason in the world for a muggle to have found. I'd guess it was either put back totally wrong (completely exposed) or else someone wasn't at all discrete when finding the cache and was observed doing so. I archived it. I'm not in the business of supplying ammo cans for others. I replaced an ammo can cache for a local cacher who was out with 2 broken ankles and it was then stolen again.

I'm must be weird. I was always taught not to take things that don't belong to me.

Might be weird, but not alone....

Why'd you break his legs? :blink:

I had an ammo can cache stolen once, then returned a couple of weeks later.

It was a "she" not a "he". She fell while hiking and broke both ankles. It was a fair bit of time before she was up to hiking around again.

I too had my first Travel Bug Hotel stolen. The really sad part was I was the last visitor and had dumped off like 7 in there that I had found. But sadly some homeless people decided to move in and all I found was the top to the cache and what looked like a TB tag that had been burned in some bums fire. It is really sad, but dont let it get you down. See of you can learn anything from your first TB Hotel when hiding your second. And I agree, you should consider just marking the TBs and in an unknown location.

I had an underwater cache stolen before it was found. I spent almost a year working out all of the details - how to make it waterproof, where best to put it (way more complicated than it sounds). It took 9 days to finally get published, and 4 days after that when the first cachers went to go find it it was already gone. All they found was the anchor on the shore. The worst part? I know whoever found it just threw it in the river. Still boils my blood when i think about it.

I too had my first Travel Bug Hotel stolen. The really sad part was I was the last visitor and had dumped off like 7 in there that I had found. But sadly some homeless people decided to move in and all I found was the top to the cache and what looked like a TB tag that had been burned in some bums fire. It is really sad, but dont let it get you down. See of you can learn anything from your first TB Hotel when hiding your second. And I agree, you should consider just marking the TBs and in an unknown location.

It's why I think TB hotels are a bad idea. Lose a regular cache, you may lose a TB or two. Lose a TB hotel and you can lose a lot of them. And because a successful TB hotel needs to be easily accessible, they tend to be hidden in places where they are more exposed to theft.

I made the mistake of creating a geocoin exchange, despite knowing in the back of my mind that it could be a bad idea. Of course it was stolen along with over half a dozen geocoins. The thief contacted me saying he took it not realizing what it was (despite the container being labeled as a geocache outside and there being a "geo note" taped inside the lid and another on the log book). We had some discussion about him returning the coins to me but then he stopped responding to my emails.

I think I've had about a half dozen caches that I'm certain were stolen out of my 300+ hides. I've had others go missing but they may have been dislodged by floods, high winds or animals.

Edited by briansnat

I've had them disappear from poor location, poor rehide, poor stealth and some come up missing for reasons that escape me. I've had TB's come up missing, some of which were real close to their goals. It's an unfortunate price to pay for playing the game. you either accept it, or you stop hinding caches and releasing TB's. To me, the few that come up missing is a small price to pay for the enjoyment I and others recieve from my efforts. I just try to learn as I go and get better hides because of it.

Location Location Location

Well, I had an ammo can in a great location. Great view, very little trail traffic. It was off the trail and in a spot where a muggle couldn't possibly find it, not even if they were looking for a secluded spot to water the bushes. Within a month, it was gone. I'm convinced that it was targeted.

Locally, we have had several ammo cans disappear lately. Everything will be going fine, then someone logs, "Love those ammo cans", and the next log is a DNF.

I have had three ammo cans taken. Two were regular caches, one was an easy multi-cache. I have replaced all three with other types of containers. I have three more of my hides with ammo cans. They are challenging multi-caches, and have the original hidden ammo cans. Two were placed in 2003, one in 2006. Ammo can thieves usually go for the easier regular caches.

I have a can that I may place in the field. I stamped EScout on the side and lid. I glued a bunch of rocks to the outside, and I plan to fill it partly with concrete. Its ugly and heavy and that might work.

We've lost a few, mostly micros thankfully.

An apparent coin thief raided our geocoin exchange in Virginia right after I loaded it up with a bunch of our coins and someone else's "Unknown Soldier" coin. They were kind enough to leave the box, though, likely hoping someone else would fill it back up again. I have since changed the description to warn others.

A note I left on one of my stolen caches.

"Well, someone liked my Waffle House water bottle more than they like geocaching. I found a smoke colored water bottle with the Waffle House logo on it and thought that it was perfect for what else? A W.H. cache. I placed it and not a week later some jack wagon (edited for content) stole the bottle, BUT left the log. Ain't that sweet?"

What? No stollen humor yet? Has Briansnat really been all that busy?

Mmmm - I love stollen! Especially the ones that have a nice hunk of marzipan through the middle.

I haven't had much luck with the geocoins I released, so I've given up on travellers.

I find it sad when caches are stolen - it isn't only taking away from the cache owner, but from the seekers too.

I hid an ammocan under a fire tower in Oregon. I wanted to hide a cache before winter set in (NOV 09).

Since no one had logged a FTF, I checked in July and it had walked away. I hid a screw top container about 250' away and that was found within a month. In August I got a call from the USFS Ranger District that I could pick up my ammocan there. That ammocan is now one of my other caches.

I recently gave away one of my ammocans to a southern California cacher. All I asked was that he give me the credit in his cache description when he hid it.