Geocache Series

nobody137

Just curious what some people have seen as far as themes go for geocaching series. Where I am, we have one called the Christmas in Dixie series, that I honestly didn't get until the third find in the series, and realized that all of them were in big and pretty spruce pine trees that look like giant Christmas trees.

I myself am beginning to plan a series of caches entitled Haunted, which take people throughout my city to the various "alleged haunted locations or at least as near to them as possible." I'm still awhile off from doing this, and seeing I'm new to the hobby, to me there's no rush to get this stuff done, as I've still got plenty of time until October (which is when I really want them to go live).

But I'm sure there are some great series out there, so I'd like to hear about people's favorites...or at least some of the more interesting ones you've seen.

GC250JF is the first on a series of caches placed by the local geocaching group. It is supposed to be for boy or girlscout groups and new families, but it is fun for every level. Each cache is supposed to teach a skill or just tips for geocaching. They are also on a trail adopted and maintained by the group to pay back the local park system for allowing us to geocache.

I am working on a series based on the many towers of Tolkien's Middle Earth. The first two of course will be the Two Towers: Barad-Dur and Orthanc. They will all be associated with cell phone and communication towers. If you ask "What other towers are there?" I will point out White Tower of Ecthelion within Minas Tirith, Minas Ithil later to become Minas Morgul, Cirith Ungol, The Hornburg, and Deeping Tower. Narchost and Carchost defend the entrance to Mordor.

I have a lot of typing to do.

In our area there are series of:

• Presidents
  • Vice Presidents
  • Crayon Colors
  • Railroad History
  • Cemetaries
  • A Baby Pool
  • Barn View
  • Silo View
  • Benchs
  • Benchmarks
  • Unique Rubber Ducks
  • A couple of science fiction series
  • Unique tins
  • Starbucks locations
  • Home Depot Locations
  • Lowes locations
  • Churches
  • Hobos
  • National Parks
  • Walgreens
  • Walmarts
  • Corners
  • Plains
  • Silver Bullets
  • Grease Monkeys
  • Penguins
  • Airport views
  • A series highlighting key moments for a child
  • Caching essentials
  • Pies
  • Silver plates
  • Rubber fish
  • "Thank You's" of other cachers
  • Phobias

Edited by Ecylram

I myself am beginning to plan a series of caches entitled Haunted, which take people throughout my city to the various "alleged haunted locations or at least as near to them as possible." I'm still awhile off from doing this, and seeing I'm new to the hobby, to me there's no rush to get this stuff done, as I've still got plenty of time until October (which is when I really want them to go live).

slight detour from topic, but.... OMG!!!! HOW COOL!!! I am one of those "Ghost Hunter" nerds, LOL, and I love history and allegedly haunted places. Absolutely will be keeping my eyes peeled for this series!!!!! :D

/topic resumes....

slight detour from topic, but.... OMG!!!! HOW COOL!!! I am one of those "Ghost Hunter" nerds, LOL, and I love history and allegedly haunted places. Absolutely will be keeping my eyes peeled for this series!!!!! :D

/topic resumes....

Thanks. I'm big into the paranormal as well, and there are a lot of cool places around here that have some interesting tales to tell, some of which come from my own personal experiences. The trick is, finding places to put caches that don't impede on anything else. I know my first four places I want to do, but my next step is to scout out places to actually put out caches for it. Should be fun.

/topic resumes....

Thanks. I'm big into the paranormal as well, and there are a lot of cool places around here that have some interesting tales to tell, some of which come from my own personal experiences. The trick is, finding places to put caches that don't impede on anything else. I know my first four places I want to do, but my next step is to scout out places to actually put out caches for it. Should be fun.

Keep me posted! Looking forward to finding these. :)

I have seen themes for a series of caches involving Presidents, States, Copyrighted Board Games, Haunted Locations, Pay Phones, Guard Rails, Benches, the twelve days of Christmas, Rock Groups, Benchmarks, Camelot, Alice in Wonderland, Lord of the Rings, Lemony Snicket, and the like.

My only themed series I have placed follows a route that the poet Gary Snyder used in circumambulating the local mountain. But I have a number of caches based upon recurring characters I created -- like the famed adventurer Bud Flout and the mystical dairy farmer Roy. The town I live in took the name of the Tenth Baron so that also seemed to fit a number of situations.

Edited by mulvaney

There's one I just found today (I'm a newb...not sure how long they've been out), titled O.T. Series: (different titles)...it's the Oregon Trail Series. I'm excited to get out there and find them!

The historic-based caches are some of my favorites. The train one I mentioned earlier was a series of caches along points of a long-gone railroad. In many cases, you wouldn't know you were standing on an old railbed. Learned a lot of fascinating history with that series.

I am working on a series based on the many towers of Tolkien's Middle Earth. The first two of course will be the Two Towers: Barad-Dur and Orthanc. They will all be associated with cell phone and communication towers. If you ask "What other towers are there?" I will point out White Tower of Ecthelion within Minas Tirith, Minas Ithil later to become Minas Morgul, Cirith Ungol, The Hornburg, and Deeping Tower. Narchost and Carchost defend the entrance to Mordor.

I have a lot of typing to do.

Love it!!!! We have our own Tolkien Series.

We have the following:

Tolkien Series - based upon all books (yet to have a Silmarillion one though).

The Dirty (Bakers) Dozen - loosely based upon the movie the Dirty Dozen.

Cancer victim (our mom)

City Gateway signs

We started creating a new series, but decided to to take a break from hiding caches for a bit when our first in a horror film series was not allowed. Will probably start again one day, but now just maintaining what we have and finding what otehrs have made.

Some nice series we have found:

Edgar Allen Poe

Dirty Harry

Fast Food Restaurants in a college town (pretty run of the mill caches, but took me around a town I would not have seen otherwise)

I have seen themes for a series of caches involving Presidents, States, Copyrighted Board Games, Haunted Locations, Pay Phones, Guard Rails, Benches, the twelve days of Christmas, Rock Groups, Benchmarks, Camelot, Alice in Wonderland, Lord of the Rings, Lemony Snicket, and the like.

My only themed series I have placed follows a route that the poet Gary Snyder used in circumambulating the local mountain. But I have a number of caches based upon recurring characters I created -- like the famed adventurer Bud Flout and the mystical dairy farmer Roy. The town I live in took the name of the Tenth Baron so that also seemed to fit a number of situations.

The West Virtucky Soccer Mom's "I did the deed here in high school" series was a big hit. And no one ever complained about the Scranton/Wilkes Barre strip club series (seriously, no one did).

As mentioned above though, I think Rock Groups, Lord of the Rings, and Harry Potter are the three most common I have seen. But there are some pretty imaginative cachers out there, and I've seen just about anything, except the Kitchen sink. Hey, there's an idea. :ph34r: