TB's Gone

old_school_65

Ok, locally we had 2 new ammo can caches place in a huge swamp in my area...My sons and I located these caches and between the two, place 3 of our new Travel Bugs..into these caches yesterday morning. This evening I got a PAF call from a fellow cacher trying to locate these caches... long story short after sending pics to the CO'S of the hide locations, it has been confirmed that these caches have been muggled. Very disappointed are my kids and myself about this..being newbies, these were are first TB'S we released, not to make it a day in the wild. :(

My question is what action do I take for these missing Trackables.. Do I go to their pages and mark them as missing?,..or do I wait for a period of time? or, just let things lay and see if they ever do pop up again?

Regardless, even though we are disappointed here, our plan is to order more TB tags and begin again...I am just grateful that I did not place some of the TB'S and coins of others that I have in my inventory into these caches..I would have felt horrible to have lost these.

Any info is appreciated.. Thanks for just letting me vent our disappointment.

That happens. Bad that they vanished right away.

You can go to the TBs' pages and select "Mark Item Missing" (on the right side of the page). There's no hurry, although, from what you've said, they're gone. But check the find logs -- if someone grabbed the TBs before the containers were stolen, you just need to wait til the Retrieve logs are done.

If you do mark them missing, and one of the TBs turns up later, the next log will put it right back into play.

While I see that the cache owner has replaced it with a micro, ( <_< ) it seems to me that the last finder might want to go back out and verify it's missing and maybe search round a bit more. (Or the owner could do that) hmmm,.

My recommendation, give it 30 days, if it doesn't re-surface mark it as missing. After a year re-release it as a new travel bug. Just don't delete the logs of the people who previously assisted moving your bug.

While I see that the cache owner has replaced it with a micro, ( <_< ) it seems to me that the last finder might want to go back out and verify it's missing and maybe search round a bit more. (Or the owner could do that) hmmm,.

My recommendation, give it 30 days, if it doesn't re-surface mark it as missing. After a year re-release it as a new travel bug. Just don't delete the logs of the people who previously assisted moving your bug.

The caches are gone, one of them, my son and I were the last to find the cache..that was yesterday morning...and the were missing this evening..verified by the CO...

What exactly is re-releasing? is that sending out another bug, using the copy tag and it's number of the original bug. How does that work if it is not the same object or mission,... would I go back to the TB'S page..and edit everything, such as bugs name, description, mission and photo? could I just leave them as missing'..or possibly delete the TB's pages,.. order new bugs and move on from there?...I really do not have to worry about the bugs history, as they were brand new TB's and in their first cache.

I know all this is probably in a thread somewhere in the forums..If anyone has a link I would be grateful.

I feel your pain!!!! I had one of those travel bugs - his name was Jeffrey, named after my brother, and he was a wishnik (troll). Jeffrey traveled from NH to FL, then went to Sweden, over 13,000 miles from home! He traveled across the Atlantic a couple times. Just recently it was reported in a cache that he was missing. I am so bummed! :( He was the best TB I had. Unfortunately I can't post anything to the cache he was supposed to be in because it's all in Swedish language. So I know how you feel. And I can tell you that many caches are muggled and people take TB's, never to be seen again :( Just keep on putting TB's out. I'm getting a new wishnik soon to travel again. Don't give up.

I feel your pain!!!! I had one of those travel bugs - his name was Jeffrey, named after my brother, and he was a wishnik (troll). Jeffrey traveled from NH to FL, then went to Sweden, over 13,000 miles from home! He traveled across the Atlantic a couple times. Just recently it was reported in a cache that he was missing. I am so bummed! :( He was the best TB I had. Unfortunately I can't post anything to the cache he was supposed to be in because it's all in Swedish language. So I know how you feel. And I can tell you that many caches are muggled and people take TB's, never to be seen again :( Just keep on putting TB's out. I'm getting a new wishnik soon to travel again. Don't give up.

It's a danish cache, not that it matters (swedish and danish are similar enough for me to be able to read both). Several of the logs mention that the TB is no longer there so someone must have removed it without logging.

EDIT: First log that says it's not there is the 7th, none of the ones before that mention it.

Edited by ApanAnn