What is the reasoning behind PQ email limitations?

Cheminer Will

I edited all my PQ's to have 950 or so caches and they stopped emailing to me. I then realized the reason why. Should have read the forums first as there are tons of posts telling us that! But what I don't understand and can't find by searching is this:

Why does it work this way? By having PQ'S with 950 caches, I have to run 1/2 as many PQ's each week. You would thing this would be a good thing for the GC servers? But by not allowing emailing of the larger PQ's, all of us that want them sent have to stay at double the number of PQ's necessary.

Anyone know why this is limited in this way?

I suspect its partly to do with the overall size of the file. Many email servers have limits on attachment file sizes.

You might be right but I am a bit skeptical of that reason. I have noticed recently that emailing large files has become limited by my ISP. It is really big files though not PQ size files. My PQ's that are 900 to 1000 caches are all under 900kb in size. The files my ISP stops are more like 10, 15, or 20mb in size.

...there's no automated way of getting the larger PQ data. It makes them largely useless...

I find this confusing.

You can't just click on "download" and get them?

That's what I do. Click download, and they download to my computer.

I save it where I want it, the same place I put the emailed PQs.

And do exactly the same stuff I'd do with it if came as an email attachment.

FWIW, I was also very disappointed to learn that there's no automated way of getting the larger PQ data. It makes them largely useless to me and that's why I still use PQs with <=500 caches almost exclusively.

So you haven't actually lost anything, have you?

You can still get your usual 500 PQs emailed to you, where whatever it is you're using can open them and pull in the data automatically?

The rest of us, meanwhile, can perform a couple of extra clicks and get PQs with 1000 caches. Everyone's a winner :):)

You can still get your usual 500 PQs emailed to you, where whatever it is you're using can open them and pull in the data automatically?

The rest of us, meanwhile, can perform a couple of extra clicks and get PQs with 1000 caches. Everyone's a winner :):)

No, not losing something doesn't equal winning. I'm not complaining though, I understand that I'm in a minority group of PQ users and Groundspeak obviously has no interest in implementing something that makes the extended PQs work for us. But that doesn't make me any happier about being left out. Alternatives to the archaic email delivery were extensively discussed last year, but I'd be surprised if they ever did anything about it.

Of course other people would benefit from an automated mechanism of PQ retrieval as well, as the lack of it is the only thing that keeps it from going into programs like GSAK. Once somebody was able to fetch and process PQs without manual intervention, they don't wanna go back. Making it impossible (or rather illegal - it's still possible, just against the TOU) to do so is a step backwards. It perfectly fits into Groundspeak's closed concept of their website though.

No, not losing something doesn't equal winning. I'm not complaining though, I understand that I'm in a minority group of PQ users and Groundspeak obviously has no interest in implementing something that makes the extended PQs work for us. But that doesn't make me any happier about being left out. Alternatives to the archaic email delivery were extensively discussed last year, but I'd be surprised if they ever did anything about it.

Of course other people would benefit from an automated mechanism of PQ retrieval as well, as the lack of it is the only thing that keeps it from going into programs like GSAK. Once somebody was able to fetch and process PQs without manual intervention, they don't wanna go back. Making it impossible (or rather illegal - it's still possible, just against the TOU) to do so is a step backwards. It perfectly fits into Groundspeak's closed concept of their website though.

The Groundspeak API may be out as soon as the next update. I have no doubt that Clyde (GSAK) will have exactly what you want, shortly afterwords.

What is the big advantage to automating it? I mean it only saves a couple of mouse clicks, right?

Yeah, and with that it saves time. It's the whole point of having computers around, to save you time, so you don't have to do everything yourself. I already know what I want to do with the PQs, so it makes sense to just tell my computer to do that for me. Only that Groundspeak doesn't let me with the larger PQs, for no good reason.

What is the big advantage to automating it? I mean it only saves a couple of mouse clicks, right?

Yeah, and with that it saves time. It's the whole point of having computers around, to save you time, so you don't have to do everything yourself. I already know what I want to do with the PQs, so it makes sense to just tell my computer to do that for me. Only that Groundspeak doesn't let me with the larger PQs, for no good reason.

Ah, ok. Not being the computer genius type I thought there might be something I wasn't getting.

... for no good reason.

Actually there is one very good reason. Groundspeak doesn't want to be automatically and repeatedly generating PQs for people who are no longer using them. When they just blindly email the PQ to you, they have no idea if you actually used the file, or if it sat in your inbox for eternity, or was summarily deleted. By making you click a link to get it, they can be reasonably content in knowing that you are using the file, and the CPU cycles used to create the file, and the bandwidth used to send the file, were not wasted.

Actually there is one very good reason. Groundspeak doesn't want to be automatically and repeatedly generating PQs for people who are no longer using them. When they just blindly email the PQ to you, they have no idea if you actually used the file, or if it sat in your inbox for eternity, or was summarily deleted. By making you click a link to get it, they can be reasonably content in knowing that you are using the file, and the CPU cycles used to create the file, and the bandwidth used to send the file, were not wasted.

That doesn't matter, we PAY for PQ's, it doesn't really matter if we use them or not, that's not the issue.

If I go to the gas station and I PAY for 5 gallons of gas, but I only use 4, does that mean they don't have to give me the 5th gallon? Its the exact same thing, you should get what you PAY for.

That doesn't matter, we PAY for PQ's, it doesn't really matter if we use them or not, that's not the issue.

If I go to the gas station and I PAY for 5 gallons of gas, but I only use 4, does that mean they don't have to give me the 5th gallon? Its the exact same thing, you should get what you PAY for.

By your logic - they owe me a few thousand PQs by now. <_<

By your logic - they owe me a few thousand PQs by now. <_<

If I buy a burger and fries and don't "use" all the fries how long before they can throw them out? I paid for them, right?

Wow. The naive sense of entitlement is just amazing :blink:

So if Joe Geocacher were to die tomorrow, you'd still expect Groundspeak to continue generating PQs for him until his Premium Membership lapses next year. Even when the growth of the sport means that the PQs are no longer generating in a timely matter. Eventually Groundspeak needs to take action to increase capacity and keep the PQ generators running, but according to your logic, killing PQs that are not being used is not an option.

You've never run a business, have you?

As I explained above, I fully understand the reason behind not wanting to email the files. I don't need them email delivered at all and would be quite happy about an alternative retrieval mechanism. However, me using a browser to click through the website to get the files is not an alternative.

:blink:

As I explained above, I fully understand the reason behind not wanting to email the files. I don't need them email delivered at all and would be quite happy about an alternative retrieval mechanism. However, me using a browser to click through the website to get the files is not an alternative.

In the number of clicks and time and bandwidth it took to make that post, you probably could have downloaded 3 PQs

What's amazing is the misuse of the word entitlement in these forums. Nobody here thinks they're entitled to their allotment of PQs as a matter of "rights". It's just economics. You pay for a service, you expect to get it.

I can pay FedEx to deliver a box to an warehouse. Does FedEx care if that box will sit there for years without me looking at it? No. They got paid, they delivered.

So if Joe Geocacher were to die tomorrow, you'd still expect Groundspeak to continue generating PQs for him until his Premium Membership lapses next year.

It's prepay. They already have the money to cover the CPU/bandwidth.

Even when the growth of the sport means that the PQs are no longer generating in a timely matter.

That's a provisioning issue. Some of the money they were taking in should have been earmarked for hardware upgrades.

Eventually Groundspeak needs to take action to increase capacity and keep the PQ generators running, but according to your logic, killing PQs that are not being used is not an option.

They would be killed if the person doesn't renew their PM. You're argument is that this could take up to a year but there were several suggestion on how to solve this problem presented back when this was discussed previously.

He doesn't have to run one, just see how others run them. In Joe Geocacher case, do you think the power, cell, internet, TV and water services would be shut off when Joe stopped using them? Electricity would be the one closer to PQs. If Joe left his TV and lights on, they'd be consuming power without him being around.

In the number of clicks and time and bandwidth it took to make that post, you probably could have downloaded 3 PQs

I'd like to hear how that could be done while one is asleep. ;)

I used to have everything automated so that it downloaded my PQs and loaded my GPS units before my alarm went off in the morning. I'd just grab the GPSr's and head out the door.

How is expecting to get something you paid for a "naive sense of entitlement"? If I pay for something I AM entitled to it. It is neither naive nor unreasonable to expect to receive a product or service that you have paid up front for.

I have and if I didn't deliver to my customers what they paid for I wouldn't have been in business for very long.

GreySquint.gif

... for no good reason.

Um, how does not emailing them let them know if you are using the PQ or not? 500 PQ- generated, emailed, and stuck on PQ page (for download if wanted). 1000 PQ- generated, and stuck on PQ page. Whether you download the PQ or not, it is generated and placed on your PQ page, GS has no way of knowing if you will use that PQ or not. Once generated it can be used, ignored or deleted as you see fit (yeah, I know that it will only last a week on the page, but that has no bearing on this discussion).

Um, how does not emailing them let them know if you are using the PQ or not? 500 PQ- generated, emailed, and stuck on PQ page (for download if wanted). 1000 PQ- generated, and stuck on PQ page. Whether you download the PQ or not, it is generated and placed on your PQ page, GS has no way of knowing if you will use that PQ or not.

Server logs. The server logs show if the file has been downloaded or not.

I have no way of knowing if GS is doing anything with that information, although I doubt it. But they COULD, in theory, know if you have downloaded the file by checking the server logs.

I have no way of knowing if GS is doing anything with that information, although I doubt it. But they COULD, in theory, know if you have downloaded the file by checking the server logs.

They COULD, in theory, send an email with a "click on this link to continue getting PQs emailed to you" every 3 or 4 months. They COULD do a lot of things to make sure people are using the PQs emailed to them.

So in effect there is no difference between emailing and downloading with respect to auto shutting down PQ generation.

I used to have everything automated so that it downloaded my PQs and loaded my GPS units before my alarm went off in the morning. I'd just grab the GPSr's and head out the door.

you need to come to my house.... hook a brother up!!!!!

They COULD, in theory, send an email with a "click on this link to continue getting PQs emailed to you" every 3 or 4 months.

They did do that a couple of times. And lots of people bitched about that too. However, I did hear from reliable sources that a significant portion of users did not click on those emailed links.

Wow! My original simple question sure generated a lot of interesting reading. In summary GC is concerned about the file size attachment of a 1000 PQ vs a 500 PQ. Makes sense to me. Also they are concerned about having lots of queries generated and sent that are not being used. This is less understandable to me as most people that have PQ's mailed do like me and just make 2X as many 500 limit PQ's and have them sent. But in any case it does not matter to me as I am not at my limit of saved PQ's and it is no more work for me to have 10 size 500 PQ's mailed rather than 5 or 6 size 1000 PQ's. I was just curious as on the surface it seemed that having the larger PQ size cut by about 1/2 the number of queries the servers at GC have to run.

But the bottom line is that I can still get the cache information I want to have my fun. I have been a premium member here since 2004 and although sometimes frustrated by a slow site on busy weekend evenings, have always felt I get my $ worth from the Groundspeak. Heck, add in the work the cache publishers/reviewers do, the community that has built up around the game and all the places I have seen while chasing a cache that I would never have seen otherwise, and I have and am one happy cacher!

Totally misses the point. I spend a fair amount of time to automate all kinds of little things. The idea is to save time (and nerves) in those moments when I don't have the time (or don't want to spare it) to wait for those things that could've been done before.

Totally misses the point. I spend a fair amount of time to automate all kinds of little things. The idea is to save time (and nerves) in those moments when I don't have the time (or don't want to spare it) to wait for those things that could've been done before.

Exactly what was it that you could do before, that you can't do now?

you need to come to my house.... hook a brother up!!!!!

He brought a bottle of Tequila when he came to my house. :)