Geocaching on Public University Land?

RedDarling

Alright, so I attend the University of Iowa, and I was looking for caches in my area (so our duo could cache on a warm weekend), and I'm not seeming to find any on University land. To really cache out here, it seems like I'd need to actually go outside of the University. So, from anyone's experience, is there some rules against hiding stuff on this land? I mean, I understand not putting stuff on elementary school playgrounds, but I don't see the harm in a lock and lock in a bush on the Pentacrest. Would you need permission since this is a public university? I have seen some around Indian Hills, which is a community college in Southeastern Iowa. I don't see how this could be much different. If it's allowable, I think it would be nice to drop some out here, so if someone who geocaches comes to school, they could find some local ones on campus. Any insight would be helpful.

Excellent Question!

I have been wondering this as well.

In my town there is a small extension of a local university (Okanagan College) which is run by the Government of British Columbia. The university is built on federal Crown land, originally reserved for the low frequency navigation beacon for the nearby airport.

One of the colleges I went to has a couple caches on campus (university property). It is a public school. I haven't found either. One of them is in a nicely maintained garden and the coordinates are very off (noted by multiple finders) and I didn't want to traipse through the garden and mess it up.

I would guess it's up to officials at the university to figure out if they want to allow caching.

Not all schools are alike no there is no single answer, you would need to ask permission from the dean or president of the school you would like to hide a cache at. Just being public property does not give you the right to place a cache there. I do not believe Goecaching.com approvers will approve one with out a statement saying permission has been given for cache to be placed there. Why not step up and get the permission and hide a few caches.

Having worked for a public university's police department I would say check first. While we generally only charged someone with trespass if someone was in a building without having university business, would could do so just for being on the property. Public owned land, does not always equal public access.

Also a university's police/public safety department is going to look very suspiciously at someone hiding things around their buildings.

I have caches placed on University land. I started at Public Affairs, sent to Instructional Media, then to Maintenance. The Head of Maintenance took up my cause, talked with his staff and Campus Police. So everyone knows what is going on. Gave me the ok and I inform him about new caches that I have placed. Was told that I actually did not need permission since campus is public land, but I do have the permission anyway, and public land may be different in different places, so get permission! :)

Alright, so I attend the University of Iowa, and I was looking for caches in my area (so our duo could cache on a warm weekend), and I'm not seeming to find any on University land. To really cache out here, it seems like I'd need to actually go outside of the University. So, from anyone's experience, is there some rules against hiding stuff on this land? I mean, I understand not putting stuff on elementary school playgrounds, but I don't see the harm in a lock and lock in a bush on the Pentacrest. Would you need permission since this is a public university? I have seen some around Indian Hills, which is a community college in Southeastern Iowa. I don't see how this could be much different. If it's allowable, I think it would be nice to drop some out here, so if someone who geocaches comes to school, they could find some local ones on campus. Any insight would be helpful.

Not sure what kind of search you did for this, but I see no less than 12 on University of Iowa property (and maybe 14) As for going outside the university it looks to me if you centered a 2.5 mile x 3.5 mile square on the center of the University there is 40 plus caches in that square within a short distance that I'm sure many of us have been on much further hikes.