Phone Apps and Urban GeoCaching

LizLake323

So, hello everyone! I'm new around these parts and the game in general. So nice to meet ya'll!

I can't even begin to tell you how helpful most of the info in the forums have been!

So I was wondering, what are the best apps to compliment the Geocaching app for the Iphone 4? Suggestions on GPS apps or ANYTHING helpful would be awesome.

Most hunting will be done in a city/urban environment with occasional trip to deep forest (we travel up and down Cali on a regular basis). So in some cases, being able to jump on wifi may not be an option.

Also, we are hunting with kids, so any caching with kids info would be great (we have water, food and first aid covered).

If your not to worn out after that, I always like to hear other peoples funny stories and fond memories! :D

Assuming you already have the 'official' Groundspeak App, I find that Motion X is its perfect partner: It fills in the gaps that the Groundspeak App doesn't reach.

You may also want to consider a satnav App for driving directions if you don't already have one, but I'm afraid I can't recommend one as I still use an old TomTom unit that has served me well since the old days. It even has an HDD instead of solid state storage!

There is an application called Ethercache that allows someone to identify geographic locations. Other users of the app can get information about that location when they are there. A geocache in this area uses Ethercache to mark "virtual" waypoints for a multicache. (The final is a physical container.) If anyone is using Ethercache in your area that might be a fun app to have.

...Ethercache...

Cool idea. Here's the link for it:

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/ethercache/id411286630

One the one hand, I see this as being handy for puzzles, multis, virtuals, earthcaches, etc. On the other, I picture folks griping that it requires special equipment, promotes a specific vendor, etc... in other words, all the same sort of noise we heard about the Chirp (even if the complaints were valid or not).

Should be interesting to see if Ethercaching takes off.

Edited by Portland Cyclist

+1 for Motion X...Lite version works fine, paid version is even better. Excellent general GPS app.

Geocaching Toolkit (free)...helps with puzzle and multi caches. Haven't had to use it much yet but I can see where it will be useful if I start running across more puzzles.

Perfect Mark (free)...if you decide to start hiding some caches yourself with the iPhone (a whole other can of worms :rolleyes: ), Perfect Mark lets you take several coordinate readings and automatically averages them for you for better accuracy.

Also, you'll be interested to know that the iPhone 4 does have an actual GPS chip and doesn't rely solely on cell tower triangulation to determine your position. This makes it more accurate, but just as importantly, it means that you can actually use the GPS functions in areas with no cell signal.

Finally, if you're caching with kids, try to choose larger size caches that will have trade items. Kids tend to like that kind of stuff better than finding a micro with just a log sheet inside. Keeps 'em interested :)

Edited by Chief301
...Ethercache...

Cool idea. Here's the link for it:

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/ethercache/id411286630

One the one hand, I see this as being handy for puzzles, multis, virtuals, earthcaches, etc. On the other, I picture folks griping that it requires special equipment, promotes a specific vendor, etc... in other words, all the same sort of noise we heard about the Chirp (even if the complaints were valid or not).

Should be interesting to see if Ethercaching takes off.

I believe that Ethercache is also available for Android. Most of the cachers that have done this one teamed up with someone who had an iPhone or a Droid, and there have been a few groups go out together to do it.

I believe that Ethercache is also available for Android.

Yes, you are right.

Most of the cachers that have done this one teamed up with someone who had an iPhone or a Droid, and there have been a few groups go out together to do it.

I haven't come across any yet -- but I usually ignore puzzles and multis. I will keep my eyes open for any around here. Have you done many using EtherCache?

Edited by Portland Cyclist

THANK YOU for recommending Perfect Mark! It's exactly the type of thing I've been looking for! Averaging waypoints for my hides used to take a lot of work... this tool looks like it will be of great benefit... again, many thanks!

You're welcome! My Garmin E-Trex Legend HCX should be here any day now, so when I do some more hides I'll be using it instead of the iPhone. I only have one hide at the moment, which I did with the iPhone using Perfect Mark. Seems pretty accurate, no complaints so far.

I made a puzzle cache where you had to solve by finding the Ether cache app and it told you where to find the cache Groundspeak just sent me a email and said no more ether caches will be published but mine will be grandfathered in GC2M1R7

Greetings joesdolphins,

After further evaluation, Groundspeak has opted to not publish any more ethercaches. This cache will remain active and grandfathered in. There is no need to archive it unless it goes missing or has other issues that usually result in archival. Stay tuned to the forums as to further developments around ethercaches.

Thanks,

CTReviewer

Edited by joesdolphins

For the iphone:

Pigo - a free app for playing Wherigo cartridges (and finding Wherigo caches)

IGCT Geocaching Toolkit - a free app with handy batch of utilities for projections, intersections, text to numbers calculations, and other functions. It has also come in handy when cache owners put in ROT13 hints that cannot be decoded automatically on the regular site. It has helped me find more than one cache.

Mygeotools - Another free app that can help track down and decrypt codes for a number of puzzle codes

Camera Ruler - Yet another free app, I have this on my iphone for making estimates with earthcaches.

Geosphere -- You have to be a premium member to run pocket queries for this one, but it will filter caches to identify those that you want to seek, map out an entire pq, offers a beautiful display of the cache page, and more. I use the Groundspeak app for caching on the fly or logging an occassional cache. I use geosphere even with a paperless handheld for its filtering, mapping, and display. It also works great with Navigon and other mapping programs if you need voice guided turn by turn directions to a cache.

Icabmobile - Not exactly a caching tool, but it is the only way I know of to upload additional photos to the geocaching.com web site directly from within the iphone.

Speaking of which, a number of photo apps can enhance your caching photos: perfectly clear, perfect photo, photo studio, mobilemonet, pano, autostitch, and others can turn your logs into a work of art. I find UFO Gold and Squirrelizer surprisingly useful (in strict moderation).

Mapping programs like Gaiagps support gpx files (a geocaching premium member benefit) and offer cached topo maps if you get out on the trail. Offmaps and open maps are also on my iphone.

Other than that, a bar card reader once helped me solve a puzzle that used this code. QR puzzles would be the same. A translator helped with a cache. And I have used a Sudoku solver to get me to a few caches.

Edited by mulvaney

aww, if anyone has an Android then I highly recommend the caching app known as c:geo. It is the #1 best third-party app for caching and has waaay more features the the official Geocaching App. I paid 10 bucks for the Official app and it doesn't compare to the free c:geo app for my android.

Please no haters! I do understand that c:geo is cutting corners into the Geocaching website and may be causing server lag, but the Official app by Ground Speak just doesn't cut it for me even though it is slowly getting better. I try and stay clear of all the politics and just have fun with what works well for me from finding caches.

thank you B)

Edited by snapshot7

I made a puzzle cache where you had to solve by finding the Ether cache app and it told you where to find the cache Groundspeak just sent me a email and said no more ether caches will be published but mine will be grandfathered in GC2M1R7

Greetings joesdolphins,

After further evaluation, Groundspeak has opted to not publish any more ethercaches. This cache will remain active and grandfathered in. There is no need to archive it unless it goes missing or has other issues that usually result in archival. Stay tuned to the forums as to further developments around ethercaches.

Thanks,

CTReviewer

That's not kool, just found the app. Got some plans, well guess I'll have to go to the other site. What's wrong with the use of this app, quite like a chirp, just free...ahh just answered my own question there!

Well, I still plan to use it, plan on dropping a few at caches along the Geo Algeny, see what happens, may even drop a message or two at visited caches , just for fun!

K Joe.. looking forward to the viit to your e cache!

Just noticed a lis of apps.. so here is my list:

IP4:

GCBuddy: A good app..(price eludes me) but a great app to track "?" clues, and multis, also I use it to document my hides, just a good app to have handy.

URHereFree (paid offers unlimited maps): A nice app..shoot a pic of the trail map, it generates a "you are here" map, I have used it with a 50/50 good result.

Theodolite: A Pretty cool compass ..more for thrills..but may be usefull one day

Commander Compass (lite): fun cool compass.

Coordinates: Free or .99.. get the .99 for a great cord converter, free limits it to just DMS and DM.m., allows email or text to let the wife know where the heck u r!

Memory-Map: Have not used it much yet, but has topo maps keeps tracks, waypoints etc.. believe it's free.

Genius Scan: Love this app..for caching, and just everyday use. Get it, snaps good pics, I'll snap a pic of GC's/TB's, or maps, and it's just great to keep documentation.

Koredeko: A Picture viewer..gps cords attached w/ map..kool

Geosphere, GPSMotion X,

Got to many PIC apps..but here are some of my most used:

Gorillacam

SneakyPix

Grungelive

Lenses

Imajicam

VideoPano

360 pano

Magicshutter

shockmypic